Natural hair disaster

CurlyDiggy

I have been completely natural for one year. last relaxer was Oct 09. For thanksgiving I decided to have my hair blown out, for a change and to do a length check. I washed my hair 6 days later and my hair is a mess. My tight curls have turned to loose waves in the back. In the front it looks like I have new growth then 3 inches of straight hair then curly ends and in some places just straight. I did a aphogee two step when I washed and still no change. I normally wear my hair in a twist out or bun and it doesn't look bad but I just would not be able to do a wash and go. Not sure what to do. Should I do a big chop and never let heat touch my hair or should I just let the damaged hair grow out ? HELPPPP

Curly, I would personally let the damaged hair grow out. If you don't mind the very apparent texture differences and you can work with them in certain styles such as curl and rod sets, grow it out. If it ruins your styles and you don't mind having shorter hair, cut it. The damage seems irrepairable after your protein process and deep conditioning won't give you your hair pattern back. Are your strands fine? I have a friend who has very fine hair and manipulating it with a blowdryer for just 5 seconds ruined her natural pattern. :(

When you've got three inches of new growth, chop the 3 inches of damaged hair off. Giving up wash and goes doesn't seem very bad, especially since I heard constantly doing them just produces more chance for tangles.

HTH. Good luck with your hair redemption.

Do not do anything rash. Sometimes it can take a few washes for your curls to revert after straightening. I'd give it a few more washes (and protein treatments) before thinking about a big chop.

Curly, I would personally let the damaged hair grow out. If you don't mind the very apparent texture differences and you can work with them in certain styles such as curl and rod sets, grow it out. If it ruins your styles and you don't mind having shorter hair, cut it. The damage seems irrepairable after your protein process and deep conditioning won't give you your hair pattern back. Are your strands fine? I have a friend who has very fine hair and manipulating it with a blowdryer for just 5 seconds ruined her natural pattern. :(

When you've got three inches of new growth, chop the 3 inches of damaged hair off. Giving up wash and goes doesn't seem very bad, especially since I heard constantly doing them just produces more chance for tangles.

HTH. Good luck with your hair redemption.
Thanks for the response. It's 3 inches of straight hair and only the roots and ends are slightly curly. I'm going to give it some more time and see how things go. I had heat damage on my leave out when I was transitioning and it never got better UuuGggghhh damn blow dryer .... Never again

Do not do anything rash. Sometimes it can take a few washes for your curls to revert after straightening. I'd give it a few more washes (and protein treatments) before thinking about a big chop.

Ditto...give it a few washes and DCs

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Thanks ladies I will do weekly moisturizing treatment and see how things go.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SCH-I500

I don't know how heat damage works, but it took me 2 months of TLC to recover from protein overload, I was about to chop it because everyone said they recovered from it in a week or 2, I'm glad I didn't!

Although it is your choice, I wouldn't cut it anyway and I would wear it in twistouts and braidouts. As long as it doesn't break off and as long as it absorbs moisture, it will retain length and keep the thickness. and if your ends don't curl, you still have braids or twists with flexirods on the ends.

I'd try Aubrey Organics GPB if you don't use it already (just because I love that stuff).

Good luck!

I'm transitioning to natural - my last relaxer was in October 2011.

I think I might do a BC sometime in the future, but for now, I'm protective styling, for at least 1 year.

CurlyDiggy - Question, did you use a heat protectant?

: ( no they didn't use one in the salon. I went to. I did the aphogee. Two step protein on Monday I have to wait 6 weeks before I can do it again. Has this happen to anyone ??? Extreme heat damage from one wash and set?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SCH-I500

I just got a blow-out recently crossing my fingers for myself that my hair reverts, the beautician used some chi silk infusion though, very sparingly but I hope it helped some. Good luck to you OP and I hope with a good protein/moisture treatment your curls will spring back to life :)

this same thing happen to me june 2010, I did all the treatments and nothing worked so I opt to leave it alone. I let it grow out some and trimmed off the edges. I did this every so often and finally cutting all the straight hair off three months ago. My hair grows very slow so it took me a full year to grow my hair back. my entire front was permanently straight from the roots. it was horrible, I was so upset. My bang was finally almost to my chin and I was so excited and then I went to get it straight and it was over. I have not ventured to do that and will never do it again. I will get it straight but I found a less dangerous way to do it. THanks to Mahoganycurls. on youtube. I hope its not as bad as it seems and everything work for you. it did not for me but I let it grow out and trimmed as I went along.

Thanks for the response. It's 3 inches of straight hair and only the roots and ends are slightly curly. I'm going to give it some more time and see how things go. I had heat damage on my leave out when I was transitioning and it never got better UuuGggghhh damn blow dryer .... Never again

Girl, I can relate, my bangs are the same way. I'm just going to let the hair grow out and slowly snip the ends. My aunt refuses to believe that I'm natural because of the straight hair....:lachen:.....

But don't do anything rash, it's hair and it will grow.

Wow....Curly this is exactly what I am going through right now. My hair used to be a mix of 3c's 4a's. Now it looks like 3a's and 3b's. in the back from my nape up to about 3 inches on my head the hair there is straight on the ends about 4 inches down from the root. I thought it was a fluke at first. Background: I NEVER used to go to the hair salon. I was a bun and twistout person. After I found Kinky Curly Knot Today and ecostyler olive oil gel combo i was set. But for my bday this past october, I decided to got and get a dominican blow out. I do not go often. After my first time I didn't go back for a month, and then 3 weeks after that. Now I notice my hair has not gone back to its original texture. My curls don't pop anymore and the curls I do have are looser and easily get straight. I am going to try some of the tips here like the protein treatment. I also will look into wigs/weaves as protective styles.

I hope things work out for you!

I had some heat damage a couple months ago. And while my hair was not stick straight the curl pattern had definitely been loosened by the heat :nono: it wasn't curling anymore and it had lost its springy bounce. After a couple months my hair did get its curl back, but the pattern is still looser than what it would be naturally :( I decided not to cut it because since it is at least curling again I can just play it off until it grows out long enough to replace it.

Back