natural hair causing major breakage

washize

two months ago, I notcied that my bleached hair stopped breaking (I loose maybe an inch or so a month), but now my "healthy" hair is breaking for no reason. No split ends, or ssK

I Honestly think it is from me not combing my hair enough, because I can only comb it when it is wet and that is once every two days.

These three months I've lost 2-3 inches mostly on the sides, my hair was in a blunt cut, not it looks like a botched V :ohwell:. My hair grows an inch a month. Here are my comparison shots. The first picture is from november, the second is from a few days ago. Don't mind my ends in the second pic, I just didn't straighten them all the way.

Do any of you think I will retain more length by being a straight hair natural for a while?

Picture058.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Last edited:
I'm transitioning (8 months in) and last month was the first time I stuck to a no heat regimen.While i loved the styles (and miss them dearly) not combing my hair is never an option. My hair gets VErY dry and starts to knot up after a day. And all of that combing and detangling began to break my hair off. This month i went back to using heat.Blowdrying using Pinkskates tension method and rollersetting for the week.I'm thankful to say that the breakage has stopped and my hair is happy again. Needless to say a low heat reggie works for me. LOL. Just listen to your hair. HTH.

I'm transitioning (8 months in) and last month was the first time I stuck to a no heat regimen.While i loved the styles (and miss them dearly) not combing my hair is never an option. My hair gets VErY dry and starts to knot up after a day. And all of that combing and detangling began to break my hair off. This month i went back to using heat.Blowdrying using Pinkskates tension method and rollersetting for the week.I'm thankful to say that the breakage has stopped and my hair is happy again. Needless to say a low heat reggie works for me. LOL. Just listen to your hair. HTH.

I think I'll try this method!! :drunk:

I so know what you ladies are talking about. I am natural, but had been a straight haired natural until I came here and did not see how I could possibly deal with my hair in it's totally natural state without it breaking off. It took me a year of committing to straighten my hair less, but I found a couple of things to help stop the breakage from low manipulation:

1) Make the detangling process a breeze. To do this, I started using serums after I deep condition and while braiding my hair. This helped to give me slip and I lost a lot less hair.
2) Deep condition often and steam is great. The more often I deep conditioned, the greater the elasticity. When I braided my hair, it didn't break off as much because it was stronger. For me, the balance was deep conditioning at least twice a week.
3) Adding honey and oils to deep conditioners is also great.
4) If I knew I had not touched my hair is a few days (2 at the most), I wouldn't even think about combing it until I was in the shower and had a conditioner on it that provided a ton of slip.

Those have really helped me and I love a straight natural look, but now I must admit, I am addicted to my curly styles too. When I do use heat, I use products that require heat for the product to "set it". I hope that helps.

Great advice, Mz Shug :yep:

Just wanted to say that I also detangle my hair every day. If I don't I will damage my hair as well.

two months ago, I notcied that my bleached hair stopped breaking (I loose maybe an inch or so a month), but now my "healthy" hair is breaking for no reason. No split ends, or ssK

I Honestly think it is from me not combing my hair enough, because I can only comb it when it is wet and that is once every two days.

These three months I've lost 2-3 inches mostly on the sides, my hair was in a blunt cut, not it looks like a botched V :ohwell:. My hair grows an inch a month. Here are my comparison shots. The first picture is from november, the second is from a few days ago. Don't mind my ends in the second pic, I just didn't straighten them all the way.

Do any of you think I will retain more length by being a straight hair natural for a while?

At the bolded....Why do you need to come your hair every 2 days when wet....Thats sounds like a lot of manipulation.

Hair is very fragile when wet so this seem to do more harm than good. Have you tried styles where you can detangle only once a week?

Going straight may not necessarily solve your problems, it may do more harm to your weakends strands. And committing to heat period may introduces a whole net set of issues to worry about.

I would revisit your detangling routine and try light tension blow drying perhaps and detangle when damp like once a week. And OP are u using your fingers to remove most tangles before combing? The benefit of finger detangling is that you can feel tangles and work them out gently, with a comb tangle are harder to feel and often you rip through then

Back