Natural Hair and Petroleum Jelly

DDHair

Hello Ladies,

Lately, I have been using Proclaim Petroleum Jelly on my hair (along with other stuff) and water on my natural hair. I like the way I achieve some sleekness or at least get it to lie down with it on my hair. Initially I was hesitant, but I thought about mothers who used to put vaseline and water on their baby girls' hair back in the day, and it looked nice, and it didn't seem to clog the pores. Does anyone use petroleum jelly on their hair with the water combination? What does it do for you?

DDHair said:
Hello Ladies,

Lately, I have been using Proclaim Petroleum Jelly on my hair (along with other stuff) and water on my natural hair. I like the way I achieve some sleekness or at least get it to lie down with it on my hair. Initially I was hesitant, but I thought about mothers who used to put vaseline and water on their baby girls' hair back in the day, and it looked nice, and it didn't seem to clog the pores. Does anyone use petroleum jelly on their hair with the water combination? What does it do for you?

My cousin use to with her daughter's natural hair. She always had long and thick natural hair.

After I CO I put a small amt. of grease (with petroleum) on my length. And just like you say my hair appears more sleek and shiney with way less frizz. I have not had any adverse effects i.e. breakage. In fact, I think it is helping me retain length. My hair is growing like a wildfire since giving up the relaxer. However, I never put it on dry hair (only wet) maybe this is the key, it seals in the moisture. Just my 2 cents.

I had an ex-friend that swears by vaseline/petroleum jelly on her hair, that was all she used, and her hair is very long and thick. She said its the only thing her mom used on her hair as a child, so she just stuck wit it, I guess to each his own...

DDhair, Off topic I loved your crochet braids.
Do you remember the name of the hair you used?

I have split end and knots. Maybe I should ole skool w/petroleum.

Thank you, hmmm I used all kinds of hair, from Beverly Johnson to whatever texturized hair was around 1.99-4.99. The key is to get textured hair, so it won't slip easily from under the braid and so it will cover the braids well.

Hmm, maybe Vaseline does have some good properties for the hair, you are definitely right about the moisture, I am hoping it will help to train my hair as well. To the ones who's friend's used the stuff and have long hair, exactly how long is their hair. Petroleum Jelly is one of the cheapest hair products out there fasho.

I've used just the regular Petroleum Jelly for babies on my hair for a braidout and it left my hair super soft and moisturized.

I currently use Blue Magic Coconut Oil grease. The ingredients are Petrolatum, Coconut Oil, and Fragrance. This leaves my hair nice and soft as well.

They both prevent breakage for my hair.

my mom has alway used Ultra Sheen and her hair is strong and alway growing, she used it on me and my sisters too. i think when added (not too heavily) it works wounders adding moisture and really good shine- great for blowout and natural styles.

Naw... not straight petro jelly but I use grease and oil on the regular, my hair soaks it up. Period. I could put a glob on it and by th enight time its all gone but my hair is nicely moisturized. If I leave it off my hair gets dry. Some people have good results with grease.

I use vaseline and/or BlueMagic Coconut grease on my natural hair and it doesn't bother me at all. I actually really like it -- makes my hair very soft.

I hate to be the dissenter...but I can't put any petroleum products on my hair. It dries it out something fierce.

I'm using all natural butters and oils (thank you Jane Carter).

However, to each his own. And I say if it works for you..go for it! :)

My hair loves petroleum! I currently am using la india hair creme. I use it after I CW. My hair soaks it up. I don't use hair oils, except MTG, so I guess my hair is like:fat:.:lol:

foxybrownsugar said:
After I CO I put a small amt. of grease (with petroleum) on my length. And just like you say my hair appears more sleek and shiney with way less frizz. I have not had any adverse effects i.e. breakage. In fact, I think it is helping me retain length. My hair is growing like a wildfire since giving up the relaxer. However, I never put it on dry hair (only wet) maybe this is the key, it seals in the moisture. Just my 2 cents.

I read something along these lines in a Cathy Howse book in reference to the hair grease that made ppl's hair grow that Madame CJ Walker sold... It coated the hair and I guess sealed in moisture and helped retain length and protect from those hot combs. I dont think Petroleum is harmful as long as its noton the scalp where it could clog pores....Hair is already dead so there is not big worry about it "clogging" anything...

It is funny that I came across this thread because I just went back to my B & B Super Gro (the blue and white jar) and I missed it. It has petroleum in it but it also has sage, sulfur, and coconut oil along with some other great ingredients.

Well the problem also comes when the moisture is sealed out. Petroleum Jelly seals the hair. If its dry it seals it dry, its its moist it selas it moist. My hair has a problem retainign moisture so when grease is applied to moisturized hair it locks it in. Works well for me.

Back