Natural but dyed... is there such a thing?

When I say dry, i'm referring to the color. Its just not a vibrant color and I think I can do better :lol:. Can I see a pic of your blonde please? Did you apply rhe Aveda yourself or did you go to a salon?

maddie611

I have used high lift aveda color and aveda bleach and I have colored by myself and in the salon. i worked in an aveda salon for a year so i didn't have to do my hair for a long time.

also, when I was working at the salon i fried the hell outta my hair. I knew better but I didn't really care and I was going through some things:look:

These highlights were done with high lift color July 2010 or so
40911_441910242143_4548219_n.jpg

this is another pic of those same highlights. my texture is the same all over. this isn't a good pic of the color but its a good pic of the texture. I had also just had some fresh keratin :lick:
27-vi.jpg

this 2nd round was done with bleach right over top of the high lift color. I wasn't using heat, so my hair didn't break off, but the curl was much looser. this is like March 2011. also, no keratin here. its pretty much washed out.

247863_1972928717409_2363353_n.jpg

May 2011 heres a better look at the curl pattern. its orange right here i had just toned it. i don't condone double processing :nono:
196458_10100102675529469_6940532_n.jpg

and i got more highlights in the very front and my nape after this. this was my 3rd process in July 2011 and also the reason why i just cut off 2 inches. the ends were pretty bad. see how some peices don't even have kink to them anymore :nono:
IMAG0399-vi.jpg

This is me this year February 2012 see how the front is still short, but the back is fine... the peices that were triple processed are obviously different from the rest of my hair. The roots were touched up with high lift color and they are fine... the ends are the problem.

IMAG0804-vi.jpg

This is about a month ago with no product except moisturizer. As you can see everything except those triple processed areas is just fine.
IMAG0124-vi.jpg

In conclusion if you stick to single process coloring and bleaching your curl pattern should be fine. Any more than that it will loosen and eventually break. Mine didn't break until the 3rd time bleaching, but that's because my reggie was in check.

I dyed my hair using Clairol Textures and Tones (love that stuff) when I was natural and after I dyed my hair I still had my 4b texture. I still had to wash my hair in sections, I still had to deal with ssk's and it still took me 2 days to finish twisting my freaking hair. So yes, you ask me I was still natural. :yep:

SummerSolstice Is Aveda the only only bleach product you've used to lighten your hair? I'm asking because the bleach and developer I'm using right now is drying my hair out soooo much. I want to keep my color, but not lose any hair to this massive dryness.

Is Aveda the only only bleach product you've used to lighten your hair? I'm asking because the bleach and developer I'm using right now is drying my hair out soooo much. I want to keep my color, but not lose any hair to this massive dryness.

B_Phlyy it isn't, I have used clairol bleach on clients and my own hair and it breaks every time :look:

i usually ask them to wait until I can get something safer but they don't listen. its usually someone that calls me like oh, hey can you make me blonde and i'm like uhhhh wait can we do something else first? n

my white clients seem to thrive with chi.

also i love lo'real high lift color but that doesn't get you to a level 10, just a 7.

@B_Phlyy it isn't, I have used clairol bleach on clients and my own hair and it breaks every time :look:

i usually ask them to wait until I can get something safer but they don't listen. its usually someone that calls me like oh, hey can you make me blonde and i'm like uhhhh wait can we do something else first? n

my white clients seem to thrive with chi.

also i love lo'real high lift color but that doesn't get you to a level 10, just a 7.

SummerSolstice That's interesting because that what level I need to be to have the color show up. I bleach so I can do purple over it. Right now I've been using Ion 10 Volume developer with their ammonia-free lightener. It takes almost an hour to get my hair to lift to that level (I'm a natural black level 1 btw). Do you think it would be better to use a higher volume or just switch to a different lightener but at the same volume?

@SummerSolstice That's interesting because that what level I need to be to have the color show up. I bleach so I can do purple over it. Right now I've been using Ion 10 Volume developer with their ammonia-free lightener. It takes almost an hour to get my hair to lift to that level (I'm a natural black level 1 btw). Do you think it would be better to use a higher volume or just switch to a different lightener but at the same volume?

B_Phlyy i think you should switch to 20 vol if you want to go lighter. but you would have to start with your new growth, not on the hair thats already lightened or else you will be hairless

@B_Phlyy i think you should switch to 20 vol if you want to go lighter. but you would have to start with your new growth, not on the hair thats already lightened or else you will be hairless

Lol. I only plan to do the bleach every 3 or 4 month so I know that I have enough new growth to do it without overlapping. I will try the 20 volume next time I color in December.

Since the colorists are in this thread today, what do you ladies recommend for covering my grey? I think I might want to add a few highlights AND cover the grey at the same time. Is that possible?

I'm natural with no color, and I haven't experimented much with color.

Since the colorists are in this thread today, what do you ladies recommend for covering my grey? I think I might want to add a few highlights AND cover the grey at the same time. Is that possible?

I'm natural with no color, and I haven't experimented much with color.

ClassicBeauty it is definitely possible but there is a timing issue at stake here.
The key to doing this is being able to time it so that both process at similar times so that your highlights will not overprocess. I personally feel like this is a rough task for an experienced stylist (which is why I love aveda because it "shuts off" on its own instead of frying away your hair if left on too long)... So I personally would prefer if you want to do the highlights on your own to do each process separately 4 weeks apart.

to me wella has excellent gray coverage. aveda is ok, but it will fade much faster than other products. its better for those that don't mind a touch of gray. since the pigments are all plant stuff they aren't strong enough to stick around for that long.

I would say so, but honestly I think none of our responses matter. What matters is if YOU consider color-treated unrelaxed hair natural. My opinion is yes it is natural but no longer virgin. I use the exact same reasoning with extensions as well (you can see as a relaxed head who loves weave from time to time, my opinion may not hold much weight for you, lol!) - hair that has been steam processed is virgin but it is not "natural" because the texture was altered. Hair that has been dyed but the curl pattern is unaltered is "natural" but not virgin. That's just my way of thinking though and what I say about extensions may not even be relevent in this convo! :lol:

@jprayze

wait, was your hair the run of the mill 1B before this?

I'm a natural 2. I had been using the Sun-In hair lightener to lightening my hair for quite a while, but I stopped because I was concerned about the peroxide. My hair color pre-honey is the hair on my siggy from May 29th, guess maybe close to 4 at start.

I think you could still have good results starting darker, but it just may take a bit longer and more applications.

I wanna ask a dumb question...is it safe to dye hair that's already been dyed? I dyed my hair jet black with Texture n Tones but would like a lighter color like only in the front part of my hair. What do yall think? TIA.

I wanna ask a dumb question...is it safe to dye hair that's already been dyed? I dyed my hair jet black with Texture n Tones but would like a lighter color like only in the front part of my hair. What do yall think? TIA.

MsDes the safest thing you can do at this point is grow it out. black can actually be more damaging than other colors (surprise) and the other issue with black is that it will not lift easily. If you put more color on top of your colored hair now, it will not show up because color does not lift color. If you want lighter hair you would have to get the color professionally cleansed (this is usually done with a bleach mixture) or just bleached. I have had my hair cleansed before and it is damaging to say the least.

One time when I had black my cousin gave me highlights in my hair and i had colored it black 2 months prior. She was looking at the foils and cussing for the whole time... I was like whats wrong... come to find out my highlights weren't pulling AT all. WE had to apply heat, add stronger developer, etc.

So yeah, You could try and bleach out that chunk in the front but it will be very resistant and since your hair has already been processed it will be damaged when you're finished.

@MsDes the safest thing you can do at this point is grow it out. black can actually be more damaging than other colors (surprise) and the other issue with black is that it will not lift easily. If you put more color on top of your colored hair now, it will not show up because color does not lift color. If you want lighter hair you would have to get the color professionally cleansed (this is usually done with a bleach mixture) or just bleached. I have had my hair cleansed before and it is damaging to say the least.

One time when I had black my cousin gave me highlights in my hair and i had colored it black 2 months prior. She was looking at the foils and cussing for the whole time... I was like whats wrong... come to find out my highlights weren't pulling AT all. WE had to apply heat, add stronger developer, etc.

So yeah, You could try and bleach out that chunk in the front but it will be very resistant and since your hair has already been processed it will be damaged when you're finished.

Thanks so much hun. I don't even wanna do it anymore. I don't think it's worth it.

Milk and yogurt can loosen your curl pattern. Just because you put it in your hair it doesn't stop you from being natural.

Trying to lighten hair that has been permanently dyed jet black is very tough when you use at home box color. You may end up with light roots and dark ends because you will have to lift the dark black hair at the ends. It's a process.

You are probably better off leaving that to the professionals.

The reason stylists don't consider hair treated with color "natural" is because anything that causes a change/reaction in the hair's cortex is considered chemical alteration. Any chemical alteration isn't considered natural.

I personally dont feel strongly about it either way...

Honey lightening is very effective and can be less damaging that store formulations.

Honey, when mixed with distilled water, releases peroxide. That's how the honey mixture lightens the hair.

Back