Natural bunners, what brush are you using?

LoveLiLi

I've been straightening my hair since late last year, but I want to wear my hair natural for the next month or two because flat-ironing is very time consuming (and April = rain).

My issue is that I don't know what type of brush to use. Daily manipulation and using a hard bristle brush caused a-lot of split ends for me when I was wearing it in a natural bun. However, just combing it won't give me a smooth look and a boar bristle brush isn't enough to give me a smooth look either.

This morning I rinsed out my henna, dc'd and used a comb first, but had to follow up with my denman to get a nicer look. There were at least 15-20 broken hairs in the brush after I got it in the ponytail holder, so I know this is not something I can do everyday, but I really want to take a break from flat-ironing.

A comb and a boar bristle brush aren't enough for my 4a hair. Please let me know what brushes properly smooth your hair, but don't cause a ton of breakage. TIA.

I wet bun ALOT. I will smooth my hair into a bun, finger comb into place, apply Fantasia gel and Worlds of Curls Activator or Hawaiian Silky 10 in 1 and wrap my hair with a scarf...after a few minutes, my hair is slick. No need for a brush of any kind.

Hey - I see you live in rockville - Im right up the street in germantown, hi neighbor! :wave:

But anyway, when I bun I comb with a wide tooth comb first, then use a cushion brush (you know, like with the plastic teeth) and once it's neatly in a ponytail, i will use the soft bristle brush to smooth it all out.

Last edited:
Hey - I see you live in rockville - Im right up the street in germantown, hi neighbor! :wave:

But anyway, when I bun I comb with a wide tooth comb first, then use a cushion brush (you know, like with the plastic teeth) and once it's neatly in a ponytail, i will use the soft bristle brush to smooth it all out.

Hi DMV neighbor! I actually live in Germantown now, I just never updated my original info. from when I lived in Rockville.

Are you talking about a brush like this?

P40504_hero.jpg

I'm not a bunner but when I want a neat pull back I'll use:

Denman to get those roots and strands to smooth out (without breakage) then;

Boar Bristle (with some moisturizer and light aloe vera gel) to smooth the surface and hold it.

Hi DMV neighbor! I actually live in Germantown now, I just never updated my original info. from when I lived in Rockville.

Are you talking about a brush like this?

I mean more like this: I don't have this exact one, but same idea

449340.jpg

I don't use a brush. I really don't like wet bunning because I think it's too much tension on wet hair, which eventually is going to cause breakage.

Mostly, I'll only bun after I've done a braid out, and it looks a lot sleeker that way anyway. And it's easier because my hair is already stretched out.

I don't use a brush. I really don't like wet bunning because I think it's too much tension on wet hair, which eventually is going to cause breakage.

Mostly, I'll only bun after I've done a braid out, and it looks a lot sleeker that way anyway. And it's easier because my hair is already stretched out.

The bolded is what I'm afraid of. I'm going to wear my natural hair in a bun for the next couple of weeks, but if I can't find tools that really work for my hair or if I find I'm getting breakage then I'll go back to flat-ironing.

The bolded is what I'm afraid of. I'm going to wear my natural hair in a bun for the next couple of weeks, but if I can't find tools that really work for my hair or if I find I'm getting breakage then I'll go back to flat-ironing.

I don't get breakage if I stretch my hair first. It's just that wet hair stretches so much more, and at some point it breaks. That's the reason I try not to wear headbands too often as well.

Anyway, you should try stretching your hair first and then bunning...braidouts or bantu knot outs work the best for me. I also do a lot of pin ups instead of buns because it protects my hair just the same without having to pull it back over and over again.

The only brush I use is the Denman. It detangles AND smoothes my hair down.

When I was textlaxed--wet bunning caused my hair to break, but since I've been natural, I've had NO issues. :)

I've been spying on this thread to see if someone would come up with an answer that would work for my hair. I'm kinda :sekret: of wet bunning...
This sounds like the best solution for me MSA :up:

When I'm bunning I don't brush my hair every day - usually just when I put it up...

I don't like doing it on wet hair b/c of a: tension and b: it makes my bun smaller. I like the BIG bun. :lick:

I have this towel turban (called a turbie I think) and I wrap my wet detangled hair into it after I've added my leave in. Once it's mostly dry I take the towel off, seal with oil of choice and wrestle it into a bun with a satin scrunchie. Sometimes I leave the ends out so they can dry a bit more, and I tie a scarf over the top and edges.

My damp hair is easier to manipulate than fully dry hair, but it's not as fragile as soaking wet hair.

I do detangle with a denman - but only after adding my leave in, and detangling with a jilbere, and a detangling comb (think it's called a melba or something from Sally's)

Last edited:
if i am wet or damp bunning i don't brush. my damp bun method is kind of like soliel's, i plop my hair with a t-shirt or turbie twist then add my leave-in and put it up. if i am wet bunning, i smooth it out in the shower then use my scrunchie when it's still soaking wet (add conditioner, squeeze out my hair, and put it up, then wrap a towel around my neck).

Back