Nappy unhappy TWA

Again I find that if you have a dry hair you may have to rinse your hair with water daily (not spritz, our hair likes immersion from a shower) to ensure moisture levels and to keep tangles at bay, until you are able to protective style when your afro begins to grow. And by protective style I do not mean that you necessarily have to wear your hair in braids or twists this is so your hair can get stretched. You can use a light oil like jojoba to do a hot oil treatment but the key is for drier and tighter hair coils need for that oil to be detangled in the shower after you are washing it out to ensure that your sebum oil gets to the entire hair. I find that product doesn't work well when you cannot protective style especially for high porosity hair types.

But if your hair isn't snapping or breaking then your hair may not be as dry as you think. An indicator of dry hair is snapping and breaking. Remember our hair isn't ever going to feel that jheri curl soft. My cousin who is bi racial washed her hair one day and let it dry and I asked her to feel it and it wasn't that oily greasy moist kind of jheri curl thing it was dry but dry like normal hair would be dry but it felt smooth and not damaged or anything like that.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
Remember that moisture is built up over time. I will say that I noticed a change in my hair when I eliminated products with a ton of chemicals in there (conditioners, stylers, etc) and used more all natural and organic products. I am also an avid product junkie (which I totally believe in) and that helped me to understand what my hair liked and didn't like. Trial and error, but I am a HUGE fan of the CG method and all natural ingredients.

Again I find that if you have a dry hair you may have to rinse your hair with water daily (not spritz, our hair likes immersion from a shower) to ensure moisture levels and to keep tangles at bay, until you are able to protective style when your afro begins to grow. You can use a light oil like jojoba to do a hot oil treatment but the key is for drier and tighter hair coils need for that oil to be detangled in the shower after you are washing it out to ensure that your sebum oil gets to the entire hair. I find that product doesn't work well when you cannot protective style especially for high porosity hair types.

But if your hair isn't snapping or breaking then your hair may not be as dry as you think. An indicator of dry hair is snapping and breaking.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Great point in re: breakage and snapping.

Update: (Will be posing new pictures this weekend) Hair got longer and feels soft and moisturized when wet but once it's dry, well it's another story. I moisturize and seal every night and in the morning I pick it out but I still think it should feel different then it does. I've been using shea butter blended with castor oil to seal and it feels a bit better but I guess I am just going to keep going until something clicks because after relaxing for years I think I just don't have any real understanding of how my hair is suppose to be.

I was going to mention that the longer that my hair got from the TWA stage the softer it felt/feels. I think that it was because when it was short I was feeling the ends and the bumps from the coils and twists. As it gets longer and I can stretch it I'm able to feel the smoothness of the length. Even now if I put my hair in two strand twists and they need redoing (ie they're frizzy) that they sometimes feel dry but when unraveled they feel moist.

I guess what I'm saying is that I found that the kinks and coils sometimes give a false sense of dryness compared to longer stretched hair.

Back