Nape Assistance - Kinda Desparate!

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Hi ladies: I am pretty new to the board, though I have been following along on the DL! My current issue is the nape of my neck/hairline. It's pretty low-growing and breaks very easily. It's kinda short now and is up to approximately 1 inch from my actual hairline. I've been advised to keep it well moisterized etc, which I've been doing with MTG/Mizani H2O at night and aloe vera gel during the day. I also sleep with cling-film wrapped around my hairline to help retain moisture. Quite honestly I don't have a tight regimen down as yet but I wash/DC each Sunday and co-wash each Thursday at which time I follow-up with a flex-rod set or braidout. Any suggestions as to how to keep my nape area strong and intact? I know you ladies will know a trick or two (even three)...

This is a problem area for me too mainly due to winter clothing that rubs my nape. Here are a few suggestions:
  • Be careful of the scarves and turtleneck sweaters you wear (if you're in a cold climate), perhaps wear a silk or satin scarf as a liner.
  • Be very gently when combing (or brushing) that part of your hair. Finger comb first to remove major tangles. If you can forgo brushing, I strongly recommend that you do so.
  • Daily massages; be sure to move the skin of the scalp, not rub the hair.
That's all I've got for now. I believe some ladies actually braid their hair at the nape even if the rest is not braided. This allows them to avoid manipulating the area too much and give it a chance to catch up to the rest. Maybe someone will come along and tell us more about that technique.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I used to have that problem, but it has filled in nicely. I think it is because I relax this section last. well not last but I start from the crown and go down instead of starting at the nape and relax up. this means that the relaxer will be on the nape for a shorter amount of time. My nape area is really soft so it didn't need the relaxer to be on for so long. Try it...i think it worked. also, get rid of your brush and continue moisturizing!!!

Mizani_Mrs said:
I used to have that problem, but it has filled in nicely. I think it is because I relax this section last. well not last but I start from the crown and go down instead of starting at the nape and relax up. this means that the relaxer will be on the nape for a shorter amount of time. My nape area is really soft so it didn't need the relaxer to be on for so long. Try it...i think it worked. also, get rid of your brush and continue moisturizing!!!

I agree with this. I always relax this section last. The relaxer is usually on that section of hair for 5 minutes or less, so it never gets as straight as the rest of my hair. When I neutralize, I put the shampoo directly on the nape and hairline first. When I do my regular shampoo and condition, I really slather it on around the nape and hairline as well.

Do you get Dominican blowouts?

I have an ongoing issue with keeping those fragile areas from breaking off. Tight braids and blowouts are the culprit. I still love the blowouts and how they allow me to stretch, but my nape is worse for the wear. I forgot about how bad it is until I took a pic of that area this week. It's "Baldie city" in the way back kitchen. Next time, I will tell my stylist not to blowout that area.

Thanks ladies; you're the best. I'm 5 weeks or so post-relax, which I get done professionallly at JCP salon. This has been an on-going battle (years long - trust!) I don't do the Dominican blow-outs so it can't be that. I must admit though I'm a turtle neck addict, and that may be an issue. But gosh, my hairline is so bleedin' low! I'm gonna keep working on it and keep a photographic log of progress. BTW, do you think S-curl would help?

I don't think S curl will really help with that. Maybe try surge or ORS temple balm. If that's no good, ask your derm. I did, but he said he could help with shedding and alopecia, but not breakage due to stying (blowouts/etc.)

S-curl worked pretty well for me. In the morning and in the evening I give a few sprays to the nape area and either use an oil (olive, WGO, coconut, etc) or a thin coating of vaseline. It's made nice progress so far.

Back