Nails growing like crazy....side effect?

bettydavis

I am taking a number of vitamins, including MSM and biotin, and I have noticed my nails are growing sooo fast. My hair is growing pretty well, too....close to an inch per month. I don't know how fast my hair grew before, that was pre LHCF times!! Has anybody else noticed this? I guess I'm still a little skeptical as to whether the vitamins are really doing this or not.

[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:
I am taking a number of vitamins, including MSM and biotin, and I have noticed my nails are growing sooo fast. My hair is growing pretty well, too....close to an inch per month. I don't know how fast my hair grew before, that was pre LHCF times!! Has anybody else noticed this? I guess I'm still a little skeptical as to whether the vitamins are really doing this or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
even my manicurist say "wow your nails are strong" keep up the good work...you'll see the difference in you hair soon!
smile.gif

YEP I have, in about 4 days my nails are long from biotin about 8 mg, MSM, I have not notice it as fast as biotin, how much r u taking?

My nails are over an inch long from the fingertip. And it's from the biotin. Biotin has the most amazing effect of growing fingernails really fast. I keep them trimmed now. I have to admit I am tempted to let them keep growing but an inch over the fingertip is all I can live with and even that is difficult sometimes. I had to cut down the pointing finger and thumb of my left hand. I could not longer put on necklaces or put my contacts in, so I had no choice. These nails are only about one quarter of an inch long. You will start getting a lot of stares once you get a half inch over the finger tips. At that point people started asking if I wore acrylics. When I said no, they would turn my hands palm up to see to check out for themselves.

If you want long nails, biotin is a good start, but remember to take a good multi with adequate amounts of calcium and take a protein supplement also.

I started taking a B-complex for overall health but it ended up making my hair thicker, and my nails stronger. not only am i tired of people asking me if my hair is fake... they're also asking me if my nails are fake too.

put it like this: i keep my nails square-cut and even when im not wearing polish, it looks like i have a french manicure.

My nails are the longest they've ver been in my life since taking biotin and MSM. My hair is growing like crazy too. I'm omly 11 weeks post relaxer and already it seems as if I'm at the 4month mark.

Happylocks, I'm taking about 2000 mg of msm and 6 mg of biotin. I just can't believe how fast my nails are growing. but the thing is that I play instruments, so I really can't have them that long even thought I love the look. Yesterday I had to go out and buy some nail clippers because the white part of nails were nearly 1/2 an inch long! And it seemed like I had just filed them down short a couple weeks ago. I guess this stuff really does work. Don't worry Edie, I'm also taking a multi and I'm drinking a protein shake everyday ( mostly).

Hmmm, I also take a spoonful of Brewer's yeast for all my B vitamins, so I'm wondering if that could be doing it too, based on what you said, Anky. Or maybe it's the combo. I just like to know exactly how all these vitamins are affecting me, you know?

Thanks for responding ladies, now I know that it's not just me noticing these things.

I started taking a B-complex for overall health but it ended up making my hair thicker, and my nails stronger. not only am i tired of people asking me if my hair is fake... they're also asking me if my nails are fake too.

put it like this: i keep my nails square-cut and even when im not wearing polish, it looks like i have a french manicure.
unquote

I wear my nails square cut also, but gently curved at the sides and you are right, it does look like a french manicure. The whites of the nails are the whitest they have ever been.

cry3.gif
These biotin posts drive me crazy! I want to enjoy the benefits of this vitamin but I can't take how it breaks my skin out! **having a temper tantrum**
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Denali...don't despair! Maybe you could just take a small amount of it, I'm not taking much and I'm still seeing results from it. Or maybe there's a way to conteract the effects?

My hair and my nails are growing soooo fast. It's amazing and i am always getting complements. My co-workers think my nails are fake.

Misspriss (that's a funny name!) I use natural factors. I wasn't looking for any special brand, that's just the first one I came across.

My nails growing fast was always the first thing I noticed when I started vitamins. I'm not a long nail person so I found that I had to file them off every 7-10 days.

I always liked to think of it as mirroring my hair growth.

My nails are growing fast with B-complex. I'm happy about that
smile.gif
...but I have to shave more often now too.

I saw my sister this weekend and I noticed that she had had her nails done (acrylic). She held out her hands and asked me if her nails were too long. I told her that no, her nails wern't too long. I told her they looked very nice although I was a little jealous since I haven't been able to get my nails done in ages. So anyway, she wanted to see my hands. Much to her surprise and mine, my nails were longer than hers and just as white!!!!!! I used to have weak, peeling nails. Its the supplements and the increased protein that does it.
Also, those who experience breakout with biotin, try drinking lots and water and take some niacin. That solved my breakout problem.

Back