Mystery results: Do some conditioners work better left in less time?

SleekandBouncy

Watching Macherieamour's video's inspired me to tighten up my routine. I copied her technique for applying pretreatment, I part my hair in sections and carefully apply to each group. In an attempt to emulate her rollerset results I'm also more precise with my rollersets. I've also become more consistent with the products I use, but I need some help.

I washed last week with Kenra's poo and deep conditioned with heat using Kenra's conditioner for 20minutes. My hair felt squeaky clean, like it absorbed the conditioner, but it was tangle free. I washed tonight with the same combo, but instead I left the conditioner in for 10min without heat. After rinsing my hair feels silky and super soft.

I used the exact same products as last time, but got different results.
Did heat make the difference?
Are some conditioners better as instant conditioners like Kenra or Elucence?
How do I know which are best for deep conditioning versus instant?

Last edited:
You might be on to something. I mean I know this is not EXACTLY what you are talking about, but I used to leave my conditioners on for about 45 minutes. Well one day out of pure laziness I decided to leave it on for only 20 minutes and my hair was MUCH softer and way easier to detangle.

I now only go for 15-20 minutes now. It's weird.:confused:

LocksOfLuV said:
You might be on to something. I mean I know this is not EXACTLY what you are talking about, but I used to leave my conditioners on for about 45 minutes. Well one day out of pure laziness I decided to leave it on for only 20 minutes and my hair was MUCH softer and way easier to detangle.

I now only go for 15-20 minutes now. It's weird.:confused:

Exactly. I'm all confused, because it goes against everything I have known about deep conditioning vs. instant conditioners. I assumed that instant conditioners were only beneficial to those with straight/less dry hair so I always DC.

Maybe some conditioners can't be deep conditioners no matter how long you leave them in?? I wonder if maybe the difference was that I didn't use heat? Ugh, I'm confused.

:eek: I swear everytime I have an issue someone brings it up.

I am sitting here airdrying as I type this and I did not like the way my hair felt after conditioning.

I left Mane N Tail Deep Moisturizing on with a plastic cap on for 30 min while I worked out.

When I rinsed it, it felt exactly like you described - squeaky clean. I ended up doing a rinse conditioner with Loreal Vive Smooth Intense and it felt a little better.

I do think some are better as rinse outs, or just to be left on for less time. I just think I left that Mane N Tail on too long.

At the same time, I think that many rinse outs do work well as deep conditioners, at time.

SleekandBouncy said:
Exactly. I'm all confused, because it goes against everything I have known about deep conditioning vs. instant conditioners. I assumed that instant conditioners were only beneficial to those with straight/less dry hair so I always DC.

Maybe some conditioners can't be deep conditioners no matter how long you leave them in?? I wonder if maybe the difference was that I didn't use heat? Ugh, I'm confused.

I wonder if maybe the conditioner is 'sitting' on the strands instead of being moreso 'in' the strands which helps. Maybe the conditioner hasn't fully penetrated and is sitting on top of the strands which gives it a smoother texture. I don't know I am no Sistaslick or nothing.:confused:

I think the key is finding the product that is designed specifically for deep conditioning. Using a regular "instant" conditioner as a deep conditioner isn't going to give you the same results, with or without heat.

starfish79 said:
I think the key is finding the product that is designed specifically for deep conditioning. Using a regular "instant" conditioner as a deep conditioner isn't going to give you the same results, with or without heat.

This makes the most sense to me.

HoneyDew said:

I agree wholeheartedly with HoneyDew, everytime there is an issue with my hair, someone else is experiencing it too...

I've been on a Neutrogena Triple Moisture recently and discovered that it doesn't take a long time for the conditioner to soften and moisturize my hair and it's so easy to detangle and set.

Hmm... this is really mind boggling. How do we know what is a conditioner vs a deep conditioner if a "regular" conditioner is just as effective if not more?...

I've never been able to get good results leaving conditioner on for a short time with no heat. I have to to have about 10-15 minutes under the dryer. I wonder if it has to do with porosity.

destiny616 said:
Kenra works better in less time for me, if i leave it on longer than 20 minutes it doesn't work as well

I feel the same way with my Elucence MB. Aveda DR, however, does me right no matter how long I leave it in.

I tend to just look at the directions. Some products say leave on 4 or 5 minutes. Some products say leave on 15 minutes (optional add heat); some products say leave on 20 minutes with a cap...they can get pretty specific.

I just assume the ones that say leave on 4 or 5 minutes are not deep conditioners and are not made for heat? I'm a sucker for Thermasilk because it says it's heat activated and it works wonders on my hair when it's dry.

I think protein conditioners like Mane n' Tail are this way because TOO MUCH protein makes the hair more brittle and harder. Maybe it works better in less time because it's just enought to give the strands the right amount of "strength".

For me, it do. I dont want to overcondition and have my hair soft but limp so I dont leave it in too long.

I know for a fact that if I leave a protein based conditioner on for too long, my hair will become rough. I only leave protein conditioners on for about 5-10 miutes tops. I leave my humecto on for about 20.

Could it be that the hair strands are drying (and thus) not absorbing any additional conditioner after such long DC sessions?

I love the feel of the heated DC, but I'm not sure if you can deep condition with a regular conditioner - if directions say to rinse out after a few minutes it may not offer any extra benefits to go longer.

I'm confused too! :perplexed

I've read numerous times that when deep conditioning w/heat, after 20 min, it's pretty much pointless, but back when I was going for 30-45 min, my hair was better for it. But now that my hair is in better shape, I only need 15-20 min. So maybe it's dependent upon what your hair needs at that time, and where you hair is on the damaged/healthy (as well as the moisture/protein!) spectrum that determines how effective a conditioner will be under whichever circumstances you choose. Instant conditioners are made to give you that "OMG it's silky" feeling, and deep conditioners have a more internal function (inside the shaft), so I think you have to keep that in mind when choosing your products on that wash day.

Also, I tend to find (at least in my product stash) that conditioners that have ingredients that are "hydrolyzed" are the more internal (read=deep penetrating) conditioners, and can be used for deep conditioning (or as a leave in). Those that don't just happen to be for more instant conditioning.

TonicaG said:
HoneyDew said:

I agree wholeheartedly with HoneyDew, everytime there is an issue with my hair, someone else is experiencing it too...

I've been on a Neutrogena Triple Moisture recently and discovered that it doesn't take a long time for the conditioner to soften and moisturize my hair and it's so easy to detangle and set.

Hmm... this is really mind boggling. How do we know what is a conditioner vs a deep conditioner if a "regular" conditioner is just as effective if not more?...

Exactly. The mystery of it all bugs me!
I know deep conditioning is important so I'd like to know that I'm doing a real DC. Also, I wonder if the instant/10 min conditioners are beneficial to the hair or should I deep condition every time for optimal length retention. I'm reading through everyones replies and that's helping me a bit. Thanks y'all!

Anyway, update time. After I spent hours staring at my hair as it dried last night (truly fascinating) and learning that my beloved ORS no lye is underprocessing my hair, I put it in double twists. I let it dry almost completely then I sectioned my hair into 5 areas, misted lightly with distilled water and twisted each section. My hair is soft, shiny and the twists aren't tangly and frizzy like my usual air dried hair.

I noticed this with CON (the purple label). I left it on for 20 -25 minutes under the dryer and my hair was an awful mess. It wasn't moisturized and soft like it normally is after I use this conditioner. So I do think that some conditoners are better for the hair if left on for a shorter period of time.

I think I came across some info on this board that to get the best benefits out of the conditioners, only leave them on according to what the label suggests. THey always throw that disclaimer in to do so and so 'for best results' so maybe the best results are what you get within the prescribed time and the variable results are what happen when you extend the time. After looking at machiearmour's videos, I'm beginning to believe that following the label may be the best way after all. For instance, we've been raving about how little product she uses, vs heaping glob of product in her hair. Well, the labels normally tell you to use dime or quarter sized amounts. We see her results so I'm thinking that pattern extends to all products-use only according to the label directions.

DivaRox said:
I think I came across some info on this board that to get the best benefits out of the conditioners, only leave them on according to what the label suggests. THey always throw that disclaimer in to do so and so 'for best results' so maybe the best results are what you get within the prescribed time and the variable results are what happen when you extend the time. After looking at machiearmour's videos, I'm beginning to believe that following the label may be the best way after all. For instance, we've been raving about how little product she uses, vs heaping glob of product in her hair. Well, the labels normally tell you to use dime or quarter sized amounts. We see her results so I'm thinking that pattern extends to all products-use only according to the label directions.

Good point! Sounds like it's best follow directions first, judge your results and then deviate, but only after using as indicated.
I also think Brownie518 raised a good point, Kenra, Elucence and Aveda DT may be best as 10min conditioners.

I have noticed that too. I think for my deep conditioning mix 20 minutes is the ideal time...if I get "caught up" in my reading and leave it on for 30 minutes my hair feels different....in a bad way :ohwell:

Also, I have noticed that when I use Elucence MB for 3-5 minutes as a final go round (I deep condition first, then poo)...my hair feels its best. :grin:

So I agree with the other ladies, there is definitely something to knowing the relationship between the condtioner, amount of time, and corresponding results.

Back