Mysterious white flakes

Desert Skye

i know ive been gone for a while. School and life kept me busy and i miss all you ladies.

Ive been noticing i have this problem though.A couple of weeks ago my bf mentioned i have white large flakes on my head. I thought aw man i got dandruff. So i went and got some dandruff shampoo. But the thing is it didnt work and i still had the flakes. So then i figured it was product buildup. So i did a few washes with clarifying shampoo but the flakes came back once again.

I dont know what the problem is anyone have any tips?

Are you using Surge? Surge can do that if you don't wash frequent enough(like every other day).

Yea, I have this problem too.:yep: The only thing that's helped is brushing my scalp, I don't pull the brush through the entire length (at least not all the time) before I wash and condition to loosen the flakes.

I think it's the weather because I don't really have this problem in the warmer months.

There are different active ingredients in the dandruff shampoo's zinc, salysilic acid and tar. Each one works a little differently. All else fails go to the derm.

I have a friend with this same problem. She have been to the dermatologist. Of course, they will prescribe medicated shampoo. Yes, they are expensive. How about trying Nexxus Dandarrest.

BENEFITS

Precise prescription is the ultiimate in dandruff control.
Actively treats seborrhea sicca (dry, flaky dandruff) and seborrhea oleosa (oily dandruff).
Gentle cleansers and lightweight conditioners give hair added body, shine and manageability.
Keeps scalp fresh and clean.
Prescription-strength formula.

I would suggest using a scalp stimulating shampoo, such as: EQP, AB Organic's or Silk Elements Scalp Stimulating Shampoo spiked with peppermint (stimulating) and tea tree (antibacterial-antifungal) essential oils. Mix the shampoo and oils and pour them into a color applicator bottle with long tip, which will allow you to apply the shampoo/oil mixture directly to your scalp. Be sure to do a vigorous massage with the shampoo to lift all of the dandruff off of your scalp. If you notice that the dandruff just isn't getting any better, definitely seek a consult with a dermatolgist. HTH!

Yes, I had that too and it wasn't dandruff in my case. I found out that it was the shampoo.

I had started using Aussi's Moisturizing Shampoo and I really loved the shampoo at first. It smelled soo good and although it "said" it was moisturizing my hair felt really clean after using it.

So after using it a couple of times I noticed those white flakes and they really bothered me. The shampoo was working fine for my hair but my scalp just didn't like it at all. It wasn't enough moisture.

So now whenever I wash I use Suave Clarifying shampoo to get my hair really clean first. Then I follow with Cream of Nature detangling shampoo. And then I condition. This is what works best for me.

NAY007 said:
Yes, I had that too and it wasn't dandruff in my case. I found out that it was the shampoo.

I had started using Aussi's Moisturizing Shampoo and I really loved the shampoo at first. It smelled soo good and although it "said" it was moisturizing my hair felt really clean after using it.

So after using it a couple of times I noticed those white flakes and they really bothered me. The shampoo was working fine for my hair but my scalp just didn't like it at all. It wasn't enough moisture.

So now whenever I wash I use Suave Clarifying shampoo to get my hair really clean first. Then I follow with Cream of Nature detangling shampoo. And then I condition. This is what works best for me.

Nay007,

I agree with you. I didn't think about it could be moisture. It could be the shampoo. Correct me if I am wrong, but Clarifying shampoo has no moisture. So, she might need to try following up the clarifying shampoo with a moisture shampoo.

Yes the clarifying shampoo has no moisture. But then when I follow with the Cream of Nature it works wonderfully.
When I did the same thing with the Aussie shampoo I had the flakes.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture has a new product out for this called Active Soothing shampoo & conditioner for dry scalp, flaking, and itching. It has apricot extract, refreshing mint, and sweet alomond in them.

I bought them from Walmart and tried them tonite- so far I like them. I used the conditioner as a rinse and the regular stuff as a deep condition.

Someone may have already said this...hope, I'm not repeating.
It may be a product. I used to use Nexxus Headress and I would get flaking, thought I had dandruff. As soon as I stopped using it, problem solved.

Dr. Anky says :lol: :

Glossy, ask someone to sniff your hair. If it stinks, it's definintely dandruff and Nizorol (Prescription form), or something with the following ingredients would be good for you: zinc, peppermint oil, menthol, or asprin.

If your hair does not stink, it is not dandruff and the above ingredients will only make your flakes more abundant. You may have a vitamin deficiency (preferably B). This vitamin can be found usually in fruits and green, leafy veggies.

If you are eating 5-9 servings of veggies, and or taking a B-complex suppliment, then I give up! :wallbash:

Thanks everyone for thier replies! I think it may be the shampoo actually because I bought a new shampoo and thats when i started to notice the flakes...oh yeah and it probably the fact I dont eat alot of veggies. I did notice i had a weird smell even after I shampooed but i asked someone to smell my head and they didnt notice anything so I dont know if its just me.

Mija said:
Neutrogena Triple Moisture has a new product out for this called Active Soothing shampoo & conditioner for dry scalp, flaking, and itching. It has apricot extract, refreshing mint, and sweet alomond in them.

I bought them from Walmart and tried them tonite- so far I like them. I used the conditioner as a rinse and the regular stuff as a deep condition.
Mija:
Has the new NTM helped your dry flaking scalp? Is it as moisturizing as the Cream one?
I'm starting to have this flaking too and I kept thinking it was the weather. I started adding oils to my scalp and it has helped some.

My scalp has been a little dry weird and itchy for the last couple months. (Unfortunately I think it was too much Surging last spring. It seemed like oil mixtures irritated it and made it itch worse.)

The new NTM is pretty moisturing- but I'm probably only going to use it once a month or as needed depending on how itchy my scalp feels. It has the pyrithione zinc in it. The shampoo is still creamy minty, I put it on my scalp dry and then got under the faucet and added more in the middle. I put the conditioner on my scalp and hair, detangled and rinsed and then deep conditioned. (It detangled easy and didn't feel dry at all.)
They were $5.47 a piece:eek: and not at all in my budget but I don't regret buying them becuz my scalp does feel a whole lot better!
HTH (If you try it please post a review:) and tell us what you think!)
onepraying said:
Mija:
Has the new NTM helped your dry flaking scalp? Is it as moisturizing as the Cream one?
I'm starting to have this flaking too and I kept thinking it was the weather. I started adding oils to my scalp and it has helped some.

Back