My water is hard!!! What should I do?

PrissiSippi

Simply Komplex
Ive been complaining lately that no conditioner works in my hair. No matter what I use, nothing can get the job done. I was thinking it was my technique or I needed my ends cut because everytime I wash it, my hair turns into a tangly mess.

My friend came over and washed her hair. She told me her hair felt exactly the same way! That made me do some investigating. My water is slightly yellow and has started making my skin extremely dry. I have hard water

What are some cheap fixes I can use to eliminate this problem in my shower (I live in an apartment). I'm a broke grad student so I thought about just using the water from my brita pitcher to wash my hair :look:. Will that work...for now lol. Buying distilled water will only last so long lol. That's expensive haha.

I'm looking for some economically priced showerheads and filters!!

I think I need more than a chelating shampoo though. Everytime I cowash or wash with this water...my hair is a tangled, hard, dry mess. I need a showerhead filter

I have the same problem! I can't even detangle my hair in the shower with conditioner.

Cut the shampoo. The harder your water, the harder your shampoo, & the harder it is to replace (remoisturize) the extreme stripping process you took your hair through.

I know you don't want to do the distilled water thing, but it has turly helped my hair turn around. I wash my hair once a week with 2 gallons of distilled water, during the week day I spritz my hair with distilled water daily to keep it moisturized. Distilled water cost .67cents where I live, it's a temporary fix until I purchase a shower filter.

Depending on where you live, you could try DI or RO water. RO is reverse osmosis water. I can't buy it in NJ but I can buy it in Phillie at Whole Food for .39 cents. All you need is your own container.

^that's true, Where I live now RO water is the same price as distilled water, but when I was in L.A. it's like 20-25cents a gallon.

Yeah it wasn't as hard as I thought to shampoo with the distillers water and I only wash my hair maybe twice a week so it won't be a problem for a few months. Ima look into those sprite or aquasana filters though

Shower filters don't change the hardness of the water, they remove things like chlorine. You would need a water softener, not a shower filter.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I had this same problem when I lived in a rural area for professional school. I got a shower head filter from the hardware store approx 20 bucks. It helped to remove heavy minerals. Also started using Ion for Hard Water shampoo and condish from Sally's. 1000% improvement in my hair! Hope this helps :)

I live in hard water Arizona and the Sprite shower filter is what I use. It's cheap and a lot better than not having one. I also don't use shampoo at all, I use Wen.

I live out in a hard water area and had the same problem you had. I was about to die cause it was driving me insane. I started chelating once per month, doing oil rinses and using Dominican product lines like Baba De Caracol and things really improved. I find that Dominican products actually do what they say and American products say it but don't deliver.

cherrynicole said:
I had this same problem when I lived in a rural area for professional school. I got a shower head filter from the hardware store approx 20 bucks. It helped to remove heavy minerals. Also started using Ion for Hard Water shampoo and condish from Sally's. 1000% improvement in my hair! Hope this helps :)

I have and love ion hard water condish. Do u use the poo everytime u wash?

lamaria211 said:
I have and love ion hard water condish. Do u use the poo everytime u wash?

I used to but since I live in a different area with decent water I use the Ion hard water shampoo only for clarifying once a month. I can really feel the difference!

Does this tangle your hair??

@A856 well, it is pretty strippy on my hair, but I don't know if I'd say that I get more tangles using this shampoo than any other shampoo...maybe a little more tangly lol it's been a while since I've used it so I don't really remember. I only use it every once in a while when I feel its needed :)

Last edited:
+1 on the Sprite filter. It's worth the investment....cheaper than multiple products to attempt to correct the hard water issue. The filters last approximately 6 months. The effectiveness? I notice a difference with my skin and hair. Less dry. My water is still hard...but filtering out the junk allows my hair products to work better. Quality products make sense for my hair now.

I use this one too it works fabulously, I live in a very hard water area. You could try ACV rinses it works for some but it made my hair even worse.

London definitely has hard water. I second the ORS because I have no problems when I use it every now and then. For most washes its Elasta QP Creme conditioning Shampoo.

Does this tangle your hair??

is a water softner an attachment?

*subscribing*

A856: I believe the WaterStick is the only one that's an attachment. All the rest are larger units usually kept in a basement or a garage or something.

Back