My TWA is dry and crackly - what am I doing wrong?

Chioniso

I recently shaved my head and now have a twa - maybe 1cm long. The problem is it is so dry and 'crispy'

I have been doing a DC once a week. Twice a week I co-wash and once every 2 weeks do a protien thingy.
I use a moisturising conditioner and seal with castor oil or coconut oil.

What is going wrong. I am feeling quite disheartened because I really thought I was doing all the right things but it only feels soft and nice when it is wet. :nono:

:wave: and :welcome:

What is the name of the conditioners you are using? What are you using for protein?

If you are natural you may not need protein every 2 weeks.

Mine is a bit longer and I am having the same problem. SSKs each time I wash, pluck or do any kind of manipulation....

hi, sorry to hear that!
does your conditioner have silicones? have tried do you seal your cuticle after washing your hair with aloe vera juice or ACV? do you use sulfate free shampoo? have you tried steaming or Dc with heat?
Please give more info do we can try to figure out together and help!

gaby

Is it cold where you live? Temperature outside may be to blame as well.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Many new naturals go thru this! Your natural hair isn't the same as your relaxed hair so you may have to tweak your regimen/products to make them work better for the hair you have now. I would lay off the protein for a while. I found that since I've been natural I don't use protein on any type of schedule only when needed. Also try to clarify your hair I always find that's when I'm experiancing moisture issues starting with a clean slate is best. Keep dc'ing an maybe if it is the cold air, you need to use a little bit of a heavier moisturizer. Im not an expert this is just some stuff I did when I was going thru the same thing! HTH

My TWA used to be the same way: super dry, crispy, never soft.

The first thing that helped change that was baggying nightly. Have you tried it? Baggying is magical. :love5:

The second thing is watering my hair before moisturizing. I have a spray bottle full of water, a little glycerin and a splash of oil and always dampen my hair before topping with a moisturizer. I spray at least twice a day and my hair is drinking up the water. :lick:

The third is finding spectacular products to moisturize with daily. Qhemet, Marie Dean and lately, my new love is Zipporah Beauty Vanilla Mint Serum. These are basically all I use and my hair is loving me for it. What do you use to moisturize and how often do you moisturize?

One thing that I noticed is now that it's cold, when I wake up, my lips feel sooo dry due to the lack of moisture in the air and the heaters being on full blast. If my lips are dry, imagine how dry my hair would be if I wasn't wasn't baggying!

Someone recommended clarifying and I agree. Start from a clean slate and analyze how your hair feels after each step in your regimen.

If you're using the same products that you were when you were relaxed, you may need to re-evaluate things. :yep:

Maybe I'm confused, but a 1cm long TWA is going to feel dry and crackly. That's basically a fade w/ new growth. It's no hair and all she is feeling is the pointed ends growing out of her scalp.

This is going to be a nasty comparison, but think of pubic hairs growing back from being shaved off.

Also Hard Water may be to blame. Try mixing Apple Cider Vinegar (can get it at Holland and Barretts for under £1) with warm water (research other posts on here for measurements). Use it to rinse you TWA either before or, after conditioning.

baggying with a good moisturizer ( for me i use AO HSR conditioner) and seal with a heavy oil( castor oil) has given me soft hair in this cold NYC weather.

My hair used to be dry and crackly until I found out that I needed protein in my hair almost daily. (I was listening to the myth that natural hair doesn't need protein.) I would find out if this is true for you too. Also, I needed to do heavy sealing with castor oil and regular dusting.

Maybe I'm confused, but a 1cm long TWA is going to feel dry and crackly. That's basically a fade w/ new growth. It's no hair and all she is feeling is the pointed ends growing out of her scalp.

^^^^ :yep:Sums up my thoughts. OP I dont think your hair is long enough to accurately determine softeness.

Give it some time, I know being newly natural is exciting and you want to get it all right. But try not to worry so much, just moisturize and seal with oil.

If you are worried about the 1cm being so dry you will go crazy throughout your hair journey :spinning:

Live and learn :grin:

@My Friend howdy there to you too.
for protein I use 3 different ones
- Jamaican rasta locks & twists mango & lime protein conditioner - I figured that since it is for natural hair it would be best
- motions professional CPR
-aphogee 2 minute reconstructor

for conditioner I read the science of black hair and used the ones on the list.
For co wash I use a cheap conditioner
for deep conditioning I use herbal essences deep hydration (- It was one of the only ones on the list I could find at the supermarket without going to a black hair shop specially)
organic root stimulator olive oil
luster s curl activator spray
I only use those because they were specifically recommended by the book

@3CurlyQs I feel your pain

@g.lo - I am not sure about the cones in the conditioners. I do not have any aloe vera and that is not going to be in the budget any time soon but I do do a cold rinse with acv every 2 weeks or so when I do a baking soda wash.

I do a DC with heat every Saturday (I use a treatment cap that you plug in)

@havilland - I am in England and at the moment it is about 12C/50F but I only go out with a lace front wig.

@QUEENJAMES231 thanks for the encouragement

@tiffers I am a bit scared of baggying for 2 reasons - 1. I am no good at keeping things on my head overnight. ( I have a satin pillowcase) 2. I tried baggying when my hair was relaxed once and it felt horrible and 'mushy' - I don't know if it works for me.

AHeadOfCoils I get your point but if that is 'crackly' because it is short then how come it can feel soft when it is wet and when I have just moisturised?

Sunrise we are in a hard water area and I use the ACV every 2 weeks or so, should it be more often. No way to buy a water softener at the moment.

destine2grow - I have a spray bottle and will use it more often - it is hard to get out of the mindset that 'water is bad for black hair' though:grin:

Last edited:
I think you need a really good natural moisturizing conditioner. Most of your conditioners are proteins. I would stop using protein conditioners for a while and focus on moisturizing your hair. Motions CPR is a moderate protein conditioner. I used to use it when I was relaxed. It might be too much for your natural hair. Do you have Aubrey Organics where you live? I suggest using their Honey Suckle Rose conditioner. Its sounds like you're using these products because they were suggested to readers in the book you read, but I don't think they're doing anything for your hair. You might have to come up with a totally new regimen because these products don't seem to be working. Here are some suggestions:

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo
Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner
Moisturizer: Kimmaytube's leave in which consists of: an oil, kinky curly knot today and aloe vera juice
Leave in: Shescentit cococreme Leave in conditioner

NaturalEnigma - thanks for the suggestions - I am in England and will probably have to get most of those things online. I have used up my hair budget on all of the products I already have so will probably have to use them up first.

You may need to give up the s curl if the dew points in your area are low. I second using something like aubrey organics HSR and sealing it with castor oil.

And give baggying your natural hair a try, your natural hair might love it. Try a diluted deep conditioner and filtered water in a spray bottle to use for moisture between cowashes, or aloe juice and deep conditioner (maybe even try limiting yourself to one wash a week).

Also, try giving up the proteins, you probably don't need any at this point. I think overall you're doing too much. Invest in the shower filter and try to keep it simple.
HTH

eta: You can use whatever non protein deep conditioner and oil you have on hand to keep from buying anything new. It should be just fine.

Last edited:
even though you wear a lacefront, the atmosphere does make a difference in your hair's moisture levels. so i agree with the recommendations for a daily moisturizer. i also would suggest baggying your hair for a few hours a day.

my hair doesn't like baggying for very long. i apply my moisturizers and baggy for a few mins before bed. that's all i need. i would suggest using the baggy method for 30 mins or more and see what works for you.

Sounds like you're using way too many products for 1 cm of hair. The buildup from the products is what's making your hair feel dry. There's no real need to deep condition hair that short for example, coz it's close enough to your scalp and natural scalp oils. Deep conditioning becomes more necessary to preserve ends as your hair grows away from your scalp. You should check out the current oil thread and try castille soap or a mild basic shampoo and conditioner if you desire it, plus a little oil. Enjoy the simplicity of short hair while your hair is short. You'll have plenty of time to get into more complicated stuff when your hair grows out - or you might discover that you can keep it simple.

I went through this and used mane and tail conditioner to deep condition my hair and then grape seed oil mixed with jojoba oil.

here is the recipe copied from NJoy's website: (hope she doesn't mind)

Chicoro's Moisture-Drenched Pre-Poo

Chicoro's Moisture-Drenched Pre-Poo

Ingredients you will need:

In a bowl mix

• ½ cup of aloe vera juice or whole leaf aloe vera

• 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite oil (wheat germ, olive, safflower, walnut etc)

In a separate Bowl melt

• Food grade coconut oil (1/4 cup)

• Sit the bottle or jar in hot water- do not put in microwave or on the stove!
Remember, everyone's hair has different needs. You may need more or less of this mixture. Or, your hair may not like this at all. None of these will irrevocably change your hair. Thus, you just need to wash out the mixture if your hair doesn't like it.

1. Using your fingers, separate your hair into 4- 8 sections. If your hair is caked with hard product, rinse your hair first. Gently handle the first section. First, smooth the hair in a downward direction. You are just trying to make sure that all the hair is going in one direction. You don't need to completely detangle the hair at this point.

2. Dip your hair in the bowl of aloe vera and oil or cup your hands in the mixture and transfer it to the section onto your hair. Work it through. Get the aloe vera/oil mix into your hair from root to tip. Make sure it is moist throughout the sectioned hair. If your hair is long enough, twist it and wrap it around like a bantu knot. If it is not, try to twist it and move it out the way. Repeat until you have done this to each section.

3. You should have a head full of aloe vera mixed with oil twisted sections. Go back to the first twist you did. Undo it, pour the liquid coconut oil in your hand and work through the section. Re-twist it and repeat on whole head. Place a plastic shower cap on your head for 15-60 minutes. Your moisturizing pre-poo is complete!

1. Mix all the ingredients together. You can even place them in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on your freshly rinsed hair.
2. Work the leave -in mixture into your hair from root to tip.
3. Do not rinse out this mixture.

4. Style your natural hair as usual.

There you have it! This routine is one way to add moisture to your hair. I hope you can keep your hands out of your soft, moist, beautiful afro-textured hair!

With 1cm of hair you should just be chilling out. You're in the easy stage. Save the work for when you have so much hair that your arms get tired from detangling.

i say spritz a little aloe vera juice on your hair each morning and seal with a very small amount of castor oil. at your length i imagine you can wash every other day. you can also baggy at night after spritzing with aloe vera.

Not sure whether i already suggested this but try the Qhemet line if u haven't yet. Best moisturizers!!

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

get rid of the protein for now. you don't need it. cowash and get a good thick moisturizer like Qhemet Biologics heavy cream and a good soft boar bristle brush. that's it. keep it very simple. i had a fade last year, so i speak from experience.

Back