My Tiny Twists! (Pics)

curlyninjagirl

So I was inspired by BMP (BlackMasterPiece) and a girl on the bus and decided to do some tiny twists. It took about 5 hours! :spinning:

I have some questions for my LHCF sisters, especially those who have rocked this style before:

How do you maintain neatness with this style?

How long do you leave your twists in?

How do you take your twists out gently without losing patience and snapping strands? And how long does it take?

017-1.jpg

009.jpg

So I was inspired by BMP (BlackMasterPiece) and a girl on the bus and decided to do some tiny twists. It took about 5 hours! :spinning:

I have some questions for my LHCF sisters, especially those who have rocked this style before:

Depending on my mood, sometimes I go for neatness and moisture and sometimes for a faux locs look which mean I keep them in much longer but still wash my scalp. To keep it looking fresh, I redo several braids in the front & edges and spritz & moisturize the twists using shea butter.

I've left them up to six weeks.

How do you take your twists out gently without losing patience and snapping strands? Start from the very end and don't skip any large sections. When i get tired, I step away for a while. Sometimes days before going back lol. Make sure to have a fine toothed comb, water bottle, a hair pin and some grease nearby if you need extra help.
The smaller they are, the more patience you need (ie more time).

And how long does it take?
It's taken me up to 6 hours to do twists the last time I did them (a lot of months ago). And those weren't even that tiny, maybe the size of the one in your pics. Really tiny twists, I don't have patience for unless I get them professionally done. That's how I retained length at the beginning my healthy hair journey, by doing a lot of twists. Every week I'd wash, DC and redo. Graduated to two weeks and did the same thing. Last time I did them I stayed 6 weeks.

Your twists turned out lovely.:yep:
How do you maintain neatness with this style? I tie them up at night and/or sleep on a satin pillow case. When they start to get fuzzy I set them on flexirods or do a braid out w/them. This disguises the frizz.

How long do you leave your twists in?2-3 weeks

How do you take your twists out gently without losing patience and snapping strands? And how long does it take? Use oil and slowly take them out from the bottom up. It takes me about an hour for med sized twists. I haven't done tiny twists in a long time because they take forever to put in.

Mini twists are officially my favorite style - besides twistouts - It took me three hours to do all my twists without product. They lasted a week but honestly, it could of lasted longer ... especially with a holding product. They still looked neat when I took them down. I washed with shampoo and slathered on Aussie Moist to take them down ... it kept breakage and time down to the minimum.

Thank you so much ladies. I appreciate the input. :grin:

I was so nervous about the take down haha. Sounds like I can get a good bit of wear outta this style which is a relief considering how long they took to put in.

OP, your twists are so cute. I love the length. :yep:

If I put them up in a style and then baggy them in that style, especially if I use Saran wrap, the twists look really neat the next morning. Something about moisture and shrinkage of flyaways makes them look uber neat in the morning. The styles you see below needed no action from me in the morning. I just took the cap off and went to work:
Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

With the style below, all I did was add the fake pony puff, otherwise I wore it for a week w/o having to touch it or do anything to my twists. They are braided in a circular cornrow under the puff and held in place so that all I did at night was take the puff off and put on my plastic cap:
TwistandPhonyPuffCozySept2008-vi.jpg

If I plan to wear them down, or just the twists at the front as in the style below, I CW'd the ones that will be loose in the morning and then let them dripdry so the weight of the water can make them hang down and straight (The rest of the twists need no work once the cap is off). Again water makes the ends shrink up and coil up to give a neat finish instead of frayed ends:

TwistPonyPuffandSideSweptBangs-vi.jpg

A long time. I can go 4 weeks w/o redoing them, then I just redo them one at a time. So I can keep them in for months by touching them up one at a time as needed.

How do you take your twists out gently without losing patience and snapping strands? And how long does it take?

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

I don't know how long it takes. I enjoy doing it and do it while watching a movie. I have never let my hair tie me down. If my movie ends and I'm not done or I just get bored, I will braid the untwisted/detangled parts and then wear a wrap until the next time I feel like working on my hair. I never deal with my hair when tired or rushed.

Last edited:

I part my row and then use the "grab and twist" method combined with the "brick-layering" technique. This method makes sure that the parts aren't visible.

I leave mine in for 2 to 4 weeks.

My hair is dry when I take them out. I'll make several sections and take them down one at a time. Then I spray that section with water, add some conditioner and move to the next section. Then I go back and detangle all of the sections. It usually takes a couple of hours. I don't yank or pull my twists.

Depending on my mood, sometimes I go for neatness and moisture and sometimes for a faux locs look which mean I keep them in much longer but still wash my scalp. To keep it looking fresh, I redo several braids in the front & edges and spritz & moisturize the twists using shea butter.

I've left them up to six weeks.

How do you take your twists out gently without losing patience and snapping strands? Start from the very end and don't skip any large sections. When i get tired, I step away for a while. Sometimes days before going back lol. Make sure to have a fine toothed comb, water bottle, a hair pin and some grease nearby if you need extra help.
The smaller they are, the more patience you need (ie more time).

And how long does it take?
It's taken me up to 6 hours to do twists the last time I did them (a lot of months ago). And those weren't even that tiny, maybe the size of the one in your pics. Really tiny twists, I don't have patience for unless I get them professionally done. That's how I retained length at the beginning my healthy hair journey, by doing a lot of twists. Every week I'd wash, DC and redo. Graduated to two weeks and did the same thing. Last time I did them I stayed 6 weeks.

So how do you keep the twist from locing up since you keep them in so long? And how often do you wash, DC and spritz if you're keeping them in for 6 weeks?

Every time I have twists I can't leave them in for more than a week without getting tangles and dreads. :wallbash: (I spritz every day and try to wash and DC once a week)

ETA: Your twists look nice OP!

Last edited:
So how do you keep the twist from locing up since you keep them in so long? And how often do you wash, DC and spritz if you're keeping them in for 6 weeks?

Every time I have twists I can't leave them in for more than a week without getting tangles and dreads. :wallbash: (I spritz every day and try to wash and DC once a week)

I know you aren't asking me, but hope you don't mind if chime in.

Maybe it's your twisting method? Do you twirl the strands first before wrapping them around each other like I demonstrate here?

When my hair it twisted like that, the hairs in each strand stay in place and parallel so that even after 8 washes in 4 weeks, my hair is still not locked. In fact, what I have to worry about is twists unraveling when I wash (and when that happens, you can see the strands just fall apart).

Your twists look very nice! This would be the perfect style for me but I'm too lazy to do my hair for 5 hours. I might have to break down and pay someone to do it for me....

I know you aren't asking me, but hope you don't mind if chime in.

Maybe it's your twisting method? Do you twirl the strands first before wrapping them around each other like I demonstrate here?

When my hair it twisted like that, the hairs in each strand stay in place and parallel so that even after 8 washes in 4 weeks, my hair is still not locked. In fact, what I have to worry about is twists unraveling when I wash (and when that happens, you can see the strands just fall apart).

Sure, I don't mind at all, thanks. That would make sense to do it that way. I shall try it the next time I twist. Even if I do tiny twists will this method still hold up?

Thanks for your input!

Sure, I don't mind at all, thanks. That would make sense to do it that way. I shall try it the next time I twist. Even if I do tiny twists will this method still hold up?

Thanks for your input!

I think my twists (pics above) are fairly tiny, no? These were done the same way and while they aren't a full head of twists they were 119:
Twistsoverlap-vi.jpg

Here's a close-up of the 4 week-old (8 washes later) twists and yes they held up:
ssytwiststhatImmadlyinlovewith-vi.jpg

I stretch my twists in a ponytail at bedtime and wear a scarf. I cowash as needed.

Mini twists last ( for me) on average 10 days.

With lots of oil or shea butter. I saturate each twist and then take my time unraveling. The take down is less time than putting them up. Generally i'll rock a twist put for 1-3 days before detangling.

Thanks ladies! This is great info! I thought it might be neat to start some style regimen threads. For different styles like flat ironing, cornrows, rollersets, etc. Like how do you make them last and what does it look like on day five and what do you do with the style at night to maintain it? Stuff like that.

Back