My Texlax Didn't Take...sort of

cocoadiva2

I'm still new to the board and after much research I decided to texlax after my first stretch (12 weeks).

I thought I had all the tools I needed. I coated my ends with coconut oil to protect them and based my scalp thorpughly. I explained to my mother/stylist what we were going to do. No combing through and only keeping the relaxer on half the time. We used Mizani BB for medium hair and I added 4tbls of olive oil AND a dollop of conditioner. Off we went. She parted my hair and quickly applied the relaxer and we only left it on for apprx 8-10 min.

She went to wash it out and said "It still looks pretty straight to me":wallbash:. Now if I was aiming for bone-straight it wouldnt have happened. But now that I wanted to try to texlax I get straight:perplexed.

I guess this is all about trial and error, but my hair grows way too slowly to have too many errors. For you ladies who texlax are you using kiddie perms? Mild relaxers? Adding more oil to the relaxer? I'm really baffled as as to what step I missed.:ohwell:

Any help from the pros would be greatly appreciated. Guess I'll try it again in another 12 weeks.

Is your hair porous? It just sounds like your hair just processed quickly. You diluted the relaxer, maybe you could try mild next time, and see what results you get.

Also maybe next time if you stick with reg, maybe coat your NG with oil too. Sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for.

My hair is the opposite- it is extremely resistant, I process for 20 min with reg and still have texlaxed hair.

Yes I used Affirm conditioning relaxer system mild, and put conditioner, oil, and silk amino acid in it. I smoothed in the front part for 10 min and the back for 15 min.

Do you have very fine hair? Was this the first time you were using that relaxer? I can only suggest using a milder relaxer, adding more conditioner, or processing for less time.

If you have used this relaxer before than porosity might be a problem for you. Like SelfStyled said, I have resistant hair so I use Motions Herbal (because it is known for not straightening well and reverting) in Super mixed with plenty of conditioner/oil and I process for 15 minutes.

If all as fails, consider coating your hair with grease before relaxing. I do this in the front of my head where it gets straighter/wavy much faster to keep the texture and it works like a charm.

Is your hair porous? It just sounds like your hair just processed quickly. You diluted the relaxer, maybe you could try mild next time, and see what results you get.

Also maybe next time if you stick with reg, maybe coat your NG with oil too. Sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for.

My hair is the opposite- it is extremely resistant, I process for 20 min with reg and still have texlaxed hair.

Do you have very fine hair? Was this the first time you were using that relaxer? I can only suggest using a milder relaxer, adding more conditioner, or processing for less time.

If you have used this relaxer before than porosity might be a problem for you. Like SelfStyled said, I have resistant hair so I use Motions Herbal (because it is known for not straightening well and reverting) in Super mixed with plenty of conditioner/oil and I process for 15 minutes.

If all as fails, consider coating your hair with grease before relaxing. I do this in the front of my head where it gets straighter/wavy much faster to keep the texture and it works like a charm.

I guess I still have a lot to learn. I couldn't begin to tell you if my hair was porous or not.
I'll do a search on that to see how to tell if I am.
The Mizani BB is the relaxer i've used for the last few relaxers. It always gets me bone-straight, but maybe that should have been my clue that it was too strong for what I wanted to accomplish.

So much to learn:spinning::spinning:. Thanks ladies. You guys will get me SL soon and very soon.

Last edited:
Back