my substitute for afroveda whipped gelly

southerncitygirl

i would have never thought of this if not for optimus prime who made the suggestion while we were on the phone one day. i got down to my last lil bit of whipped gelly and was trying to figure out a sub. she suggested fantasia ic gel (clear one) and mixing 2tbsps of evco and a tsp of sweet almond oil per 8ozs of product. twistouts are my style of choice and i felt that the afroveda product was moisturizing but had great hold. when i looked at the ingredients for the ic gel i was concerned that they glycerin would dry my hair out and that my hair would get too hard and crunchy....to my surprise it worked the consistency is not quite like afroveda but it has hold, my hair was shiny, and it looked good! initially i had a little white residue on my twists but once i untwisted them and used a serum the flakies dissapppeared. i think i was a little heavy handed and next time will use a lighter touch.for anyone that loved the afroveda product i hope this helps, if your hair doesn't like evco or sweet almond, maybe you could sub some other oils. i think adding the gel on wet hait with the oils mixed in plus the shea moisture hair milk underneath as my detangler sealed in the moisture.:yep:

recipe:

8oz ic clear gel
2 tbsp evco
1 tsp sweet almond oil

mix together and enjoy:yep:

hth

Sounds good! I'll have to try this after I take down my extension braids. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds good! I'll have to try this after I take down my extension braids. Thanks for sharing!

no prob and its great that its cheaper than afroveda too:lachen: the jar is 16oz so i put 8ozs in another container for a test run to see how it worked....if it didn't i was going to let one of the ladies at a meetup have the other half that i didn't use. shea moisture hair milk has become my new substitute of kbb hair milk, got it from target. a friend gave me a sample og the komaza care shea lotion at a meetup and i like that too, both are much cheaper than tkbb:yep:

there's a water soluble cone in the gel, hope that not an issue....if were maybe you could try ecostyler gel ( clear)

Thanks for bumping this. I never got around to trying it. Subscribing and looking forward to using it soon.:look:

Back