My Spiral Rod Nightmare (LONG)

KinksnCurlz

Good gravy STAY AWAY FROM THE SPIRAL RODS (blue and white)
laugh.gif
I didn't get the flexirods b/c they cost like $5 per pack of like 6
shocked.gif
) Shoot, i have better things to do with my money
wink.gif

Needless to say, i'll be picking them up sooner rather than later...but i do want to try the actual straws first.
i said i was going to try this this wkend. I did. I should begin by saying me and my girlfriend were rushing b/c we had to get to a gathering (supposed to be there @ 8pm but didn't start my hair until 930 - yes, we are ass backwards
laugh.gif
) ** make sure you have absolutely nothing planned the day you do this, you need to take your time with these suckers **

I bought -
9 packages of small
4 packages of medium
ready to use lottabody (This stuff is DA BOM - thanks PBE
kiss.gif
)
Proclaim Gloss (or something to that effect, it was a serum)

First, let me start off by saying the blue ones were much easier for my friend (i think b/c she's right handed - when you get the package you'll know what i mean). We sectioned my hair in 4 sections (part in middle) and started from the back right side and continued up until the front (wasn't sure if i'd have enuf small rods - we didnt- so i needed to make sure the front was done). About the rods, the white ones go in one direction and the blue ones go in the other - as CCD informed us in her thread. Now the hook thingee took her a while to get use too (that's the part that you have to put your hair underneath) but once she started she was on point... that is, until i ran out of blues and she had to use white. YOWSAAA... she got a little discombobulated [sic]
laugh.gif
at first but than she got the hang of it
weird.gif
. All in all it took her about 2.5 hours to do my entire head BUT she neglected 2 continuously mist my ends so they didn't come out as pretty as the top portion. AND she couldn't clip the clip to my ends (she said they kept falling out) so she left the end of my hair hanging out whilst she clipped a few 'spirals' ahead... BIG MISTAKE. In any event, when she was done I couldn't go to the party
laugh.gif
I had to wait until my boyfriend came over so he could unclip the rod, and put my hanging ends inside of the clip (I LOVE HIM ) and that took the better part of 1.5 - 2 hours b/c he is a perfectionist. I told him it wouldn't work b/c my ends were already 'formed' b/c of the setting lotion. In any event, I misted my hair and got under the dryer (OUCH..it was torture) for about 30 mins. Taking those damn things out by yourself is a
nono.gif
- esp. if you have my friend do it
laugh.gif
j/k - she's a member so i have to be nice
wink.gif
I love you girl
grin.gif
- b/c she overlapped the hair around the hook so it was TIGHT and very hard to get out. Thank goodness for boyfriends b/c he took them out for me as I laid on his lap and fell asleep. Did i mention how much i love this man
love.gif
grin.gif

To make a long story (whew!) short, it didn't look so good so i will not b trying it again 4 at least 3 weeks and we'll try the straws next time. I didn't get to sleep until 4am and i'm still tired.
His description of my hair was - it looks like you had them in for a while. I have it clipped today. I will b giving myself a wash 'n set 2nite. Gosh im tired

WOW CH... It sounds like that was a real ordeal!! After reading about your experience, I think that if I ever try a spiral set, I'll get it done at the salon...
look.gif

Gurl! I tole ya them things were the devil!
laugh.gif
You should have alot more luck with the flexirods though. I think the reason I couldn't do the clip part was because the sections were too thick.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

We'll try the straws in 3 weeks, than the Flexirods BUT i will make sure my ends stay moisturized if i have to pour a cup of water over it
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Good gravy STAY AWAY FROM THE SPIRAL RODS (blue and white)
laugh.gif
Gosh im tired

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHHHH NOOO...I'm sorry you had a bad experience with those rods girl!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
......Awwww... so sorry.....man I feel bad
frown.gif

I had the same nightmare except I tried this on my own. I got so mad and frusrtated I took all the packs back to the BSS and asked for my money back. Its not worth the hassle. THANK GOD for flexi rods!

CCD don't feel bad. You gave PERFECT instructions, it just didn't work out for me is all.
nono.gif

BUT i am definately going to give the straw and/or flexirod thingee a shot.
BTW, is there a way to make your curls 'hang' more? I don't like tight spirals so is there something i could do while spiraling it? (other than putting a clip in it afterwards) Thanks.

I have the flexirods and still havent learned to use them. As soon as you know, post how you did it. All I came out with was a big MESS!!

Sorry it didn't work out! I've been tempted to buy those spiral rods but that "clip" thing scares me. I didn't think I'd be able to get the hang of it. I want to try flexirods. Does anyone know how to do flexi's? Do you just wrap your hair around the rod? Please let me know so I can try it! Thanks!

Remembering what my stylist did, she:

1) wrapped my ends in end paper
2) started from the bottom of the rod and wrapped my hair up towards the top than she bent the top part of the rod to 'hold' it in place

It's way easier than those darn spiral rods

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
CCD don't feel bad. You gave PERFECT instructions, it just didn't work out for me is all.
nono.gif

BTW, is there a way to make your curls 'hang' more? I don't like tight spirals so is there something i could do while spiraling it? (other than putting a clip in it afterwards) Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif
cry3.gif
.hmmmm..ok
frown.gif
...for looser spirals:
-I took my blow dryer (with concentrator attachment)
-placed it close to the rootand area I wanted to stretch out.
putting my fingers in betwen
-Then turned on the dryer to give the hair a shot of warm air and gently pull the curls down into place.

hope that helps...let me know

[ QUOTE ]
ccd said:
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

blush.gif
cry3.gif
.hmmmm..ok
frown.gif
...for looser spirals:
-I took my blow dryer (with concentrator attachment)
-placed it close to the root and area I wanted to stretch out.
putting my fingers in between my hair
-Then turned on the dryer to give the hair a shot of warm air and gently pull the curls down into place.

hope that helps...let me know

[/ QUOTE ]

CH, SoniT, LadyDee,

flexirods are simple. i described how to do it in another thread sometime last year. if i can do it, ANYONE can. let me try to find it.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
I'll try that next. Thanks ccd
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very welcome
smile.gif
BTW...what do flexirods look like? do you have a site where I could see them? ohhh never mind I saw the link dsv attached.....

Back