My roots are drying hard--Please Help

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hello All! I'm a newbie & natural with i think 4a/b fine hair. I am currently trying to figure out a good regimen for my natural hair. I'm still yet to find any staples :sad:. I've been using the kimmaytube leave in after I wash my hair but it makes my longer hair soft but my roots are so hard! I can't seem to find a shampoo, conditioner or a leave-in conditioner to soften my hair. I would greatly appreciate it if any someone can suggest some products that will help with the dryness. Thx in advance :grin:

For me using castor oil on my scalp and roots softens the new growth. You may try every 2 days doing this or as needed. Also add oils to your conditioner, especially if you had used a shampoo with sulfate in it. Moisture and seal your hair including your roots. Good luck and HHJ!

The issue may also be that you are not getting product on your roots.

What technique are you using to apply the product?
Are you apply in small sections from root to tip or are you just running it through the top of your hair?

I apply the product into small sections in a downward raking motion. I make sure my roots get the product, but nothing I've tried so far has helped soften my roots. When my hair is wet, its soft but after I apply the leave-in and put it in braids or twists to let it air dry the roots are hard. I also use Aubrey's HSR conditioner before I apply the kimmaytube leave-in. It could also be that I need a moisturizing shampoo cause the one I'm using doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me. I don't use a shampoo with sulfates only when I clarify. I try to use as much natural products as possible. I've tried the Komaza care line but their products are just ok on my hair. My new growth is really coily so I need something that's gonna soften those roots. I just clarified my hair last week as well so its not due to product build up. I think I need to keep trying products until I find something that works. So I'm open for more suggestions on product lines, shampoos, conditioners, & leave-ins. Thx for all your help.

In my experience, a lot of natural shampoos I tried were very stripping. It may be your shampoo.

My brother has 4b hair that used to feel so rough, but ever since I suggested he switch to one co-wash (Yes to Carrots) and one regular wash (Creme of Nature) a week (plus condition with YTC after shampooing), his hair is sooooo much softer. He also uses a spritz of AO HSR and water a couple times a week and DC once a month (AO HSR). Hope this helps.

I switched to only shampooing my hair once a month. When I do my weekly deep condition I wash my hair with a conditioner. Perhaps you should cut down on using shampoo and cowash instead? Also like someone else said before add some oils to your conditioner and see if that helps.

U may want to also try mixing your conditioner with some types of oil. Before my washes, I base with EVOO. After washing and drying [I normally blowdry... still transitioning] I use a little Mink oil [like a swipe of my finger in the oil] and use it on my scalp/roots. I use Organics Roots Stimulator Olive Oil Sheen spray on the hair also. It comes out soft.

I used my reggie on my sisters hair who I think is a 4a and I did my same exact wash. This was last weekend and her hair is still soft.

Last edited:
It may not be that your roots are hard, it may be that when you twist it up the roots are still exposed and drying out quickly. You may have a moisture retention problem and need to moisturize and seal your roots more often. I am using the Roux Porosity control to help. Still working on it. I also use the Kimmay Leave-in which works fine temporarily but doesn't help my exposed roots long term.

I have found the Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifer to work well on my roots and to keep them much more moisturized than anything else I found.

Thanks for all the replies:grin:! I do have some YTC that I haven't even opened. I will try it as a cowash this week. I usually only shampoo my hair once a week, but maybe I need to a add a cowash during the week as well. I do think I may have a porosity issue so I will look into that as well.

Scurl on dry hair. That's all I need to say.

Ok, one more thing. Do a search for a few of Nonie's posts on how to use Scurl. Scurl is the best!!

Back