My Regimen - Am I Crazy? ;)

Am I Doing Too Much?

• Too Little...Girl Add This!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just Right...If Its Working, Keep Going!

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Too Much...Get Rid of Step #....

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MsMontoute

Hi Ladies,
I am sitting here and accepting my status as a RODPJ (Ride or Die Product Junkie, which I learned today..thanks ladies!!) and I am wondering if I am crazy??!!

Mind you, my hair is looking pretty great, its really healthy (no shedding or breakage) and its growing...so good news all around! But I am wondering if I am doing too much with the amount of steps that I am doing 2 times a week (which could become 3 time a week now that I am using MT :spinning:) My hair normally takes me about <=90 mins in all from when I first step in the shower to when I roller set it. Please take a look at my steps and tell me if I am doing too much or if you are right there with me? Anything I can get rid of? I am scared because its working...LOL

• Pre-Poo (10-15mins)
  • Shampoo
  • (Rinse)
  • 1 Minute Protein Reconstructor
  • (Rinse)
  • Deep Conditioner (20-30mins)
  • (Rinse)
  • Spritz Leave-In and Heat Protectant
  • Blow Dry (20mins)
  • Apply MT w/Oil to Scalp
  • Apply Moisturizer/Oil Sealant to Hair
  • Roller Set with Satin Cap

That would be way too much FOR ME. But you said that it's working for you, so keep doing it. As long as you have the time and you're getting good results, go ahead. Be happy you've found a regimen that works for you because lots of ladies are still searching.

Hi Ladies,
I am sitting here and accepting my status as a RODPJ (Ride or Die Product Junkie, which I learned today..thanks ladies!!) and I am wondering if I am crazy??!!

Mind you, my hair is looking pretty great, its really healthy (no shedding or breakage) and its growing...so good news all around! But I am wondering if I am doing too much with the amount of steps that I am doing 2 times a week (which could become 3 time a week now that I am using MT :spinning:) My hair normally takes me about <=90 mins in all from when I first step in the shower to when I roller set it. Please take a look at my steps and tell me if I am doing too much or if you are right there with me? Anything I can get rid of? I am scared because its working...LOL

• Pre-Poo (10-15mins)
  • Shampoo
  • (Rinse)
  • (Rinse)
  • (Rinse)
  • Blow Dry (20mins)

Well, my regimen is extremely simple, and it works great for me. I basically co-wash, add leave-in, rollerset, bonnet dry for 45 min. and then finish airdrying overnight...and I do this only once/week. Your regimen doesn't look like "too much" to me, expecially if it's working for you.

My regime is similiar the only thing that is different is that I always combine my light protein treatment with my moisturizing treatment...

I don't think so...but there may be two things you will consider tweaking and/or eliminating as time progresses.

Pre-pooing...I used to when I first started healthy hair practices. However, now I don't really see the need. I get plenty of moisture from my DC mix (which contains oil) and from my setting lotion when I rollerset. I mainly stopped because I don't wash that much, I mostly co-wash. And when i do wash (like I did last night) I usually use a clarifying shampoo, so I do want a deeper clean, so protecting it by pre-pooing isn't necessary for me.

Blow-drying...Perhaps you will see the value in wet setting your hair as you continue on your journey. Blow-drying two times a week may weaken your hair a bit more than you would like.

Just my thoughts....but other than that your reggie looks good to me!

A little too much. you may want to eliminate the blow dying too much manipulation.

Mine is simple when Im not in twists.

1- pre-poo with oil
2- co-wash
3 dc 3 to 4 times a week
4-Leave in seal with oil
5-bun

Hi Ladies,

• Pre-Poo (10-15mins)
  • Shampoo
  • (Rinse)
  • (Rinse)
  • (Rinse)
  • Blow Dry (20mins)

I think your reggie is fine, but I don't think you need protein every week. But you know your hair...so long as you don't have protein overload, I guess it's ok.

Oh, and I wouldn't use the blow dryer often. :nono:

Hi Ladies,
This fabulous advice and I thank all of you for your responses. So now I have to ask, and forgive me if this is a newbie question :blush: but how would I dry my hair aside from using a dryer? I know you all mentioned manipulation but I don't use a comb attachment or anything, I just blow the warm hair on my head...:lachen: I do have an overhead dryer cap that I can use.

On another note, I have always wanted to be able to wet set my hair like what happens when I go to the dominicans and they put me under the dryer, do you know of any tutorials about that? And I do rollert set my hair pretty proficiently... Hmmm, I suppose that would be better....Any wet set advice?

There are many great tutorials on youtube about rollersetting. Machiere is the best. Healthy Textures is her blog. She has a DVD that many LHCF'ers swear by. I would suggest trying that. There are some mini-parts of her tutorial on her blog, but the video is comprehensive.

Indirect heat via a hooded dryer or bonnet dryer is ok. If you are going to use the blowdryer use it on low/cool with a paddle brush. This is how I have blow dried my hair in the past.

Right now I'm doing a wet to dry regimen that is great! You can either use a wet to dry flat iron or a regular flat iron, just air dry or hood dry until 80-90% dry and your hair will be bouncy and full of life and volume.

You can search on both of these topics if interested. I'll try to post links when I get back home.

I don't think that it is too much but you I really doubt that you need to use the reconstructor 2x per week or 1x a week for that matter.

As for the blow drying well it depends on your hair and what you are trying to gain. If you enjoy your blow dried hair and you are not suffering set backs and you are pleased with the heath and growth with your hair, then don't feel like you HAVE to stop. I can use heat direct heat every week and still maintain the great healthy hair.

DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

Happy hair growth!

If the heat works for you once a week then do you.

I too think you may not need a re constructor that often unless your hair loves protein like mine. Foro example: I SLEEP in Aphogee Two Step and apply it AFTER neutral protein filler. One DC later and my hair is strong, SOFT, and silky (NOT SOMETHING I SUGGEST EVERYONE DO). So...to each her own. :lachen:

It's far more complicated than mine, but I don't see any other issues! Congrats on nailing a regimen! :yep:

Sounds good to me! But like others have said I would be cautious with the blowdryer. Your hair looks like its really progressing! Good Luck!!

If the heat works for you once a week then do you.

I too think you may not need a re constructor that often unless your hair loves protein like mine. Foro example: I SLEEP in Aphogee Two Step and apply it AFTER neutral protein filler. One DC later and my hair is strong, SOFT, and silky (NOT SOMETHING I SUGGEST EVERYONE DO). So...to each her own. :lachen:

It's far more complicated than mine, but I don't see any other issues! Congrats on nailing a regimen! :yep:
:grin: This is me also. My hair looovesss protein. I can sleep in a protein treatment and leave it in my hair for days with no problems.

:grin: This is me also. My hair looovesss protein. I can sleep in a protein treatment and leave it in my hair for days with no problems.

I think I am the same way...it seems to me like my hair is loving the protein as well. I think that was what my hair was missing all this time and now that I am using it, my hair is in love with me (smooth, silky and shiny). In fact, the 1 minute protein recon. makes my hair so silky smooth that I hesitate to part with it!! And its cheap($4-5/jar) :grin:...its the Smooth and Shine 1 Minute Protein Reconstructor if anyone wants to try. However, I am going to re-evaluate though after a month of using the MT (which is also a protein) and see if I need to slow down on the protein.

Thanks again everyone for all of your responses!! I think that I am going to slow down on the pre-poo because I do a conditioner-wash anyway, thanks for that suggestion..This way, I can probably speed up the hair washing process and then I am going to try to get my wet-set game together (thank you for all of the youtube video suggestions).

Ta Ta for now ladies!

shampoo isn't too harsh on your hair?

So, yeah I stopped really using shampoo, but I bought a big bottle of kenra and elucence because people recommended those as good moisturizing shampoos. But stopped using it not really because it was harsh but because I started doing conditioner washes to get some more moisture in. So what I do is add a conditioner, let it set for about 10 mins and then I put my head under the water and then add a little bit of shampoo for latter and a little cleansing and then that's it. OH and also, at the end of each month, I use a clarifying shampoo. Hope that helps!

lawd that's a lot to do, and a lotta times doin it, but if it aint broke...
that's jmo cause i'm the definition of lazy

Back