My own Domincan Challenge

vickyd

My own Dominican Challenge

Hey everybody -- Ever since I got the opportunity to review Webby's album on how to do a blowout, I have been practicing my rollersetting skills. My first rollerset was not so great, but it has gotten better each time. I would dry the hair and then blowout the roots only on medium heat/medium air flow. The results were okay. -- Until I upped the heat and the flow. I am still very careful with the heat close to the scalp, but I have also gotten some pretty good results on my own. I am currently about 8-9 weeks post relaxer and I am shooting for 12 weeks. Using this method, I think I will easily be able to reach this goal. I will keep you posted.

I started this thread to tell you guys what I am doing and also to get any further suggestions or comments on using this method. Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Congrats on achieving your look...becareful and use a heat protector just to protect that new growth and relaxed ends

mscounselor said:
How often are you using heat on your hair? That would be the biggest thing I am concerned with.

I have been working on this method for about 2-3 weeks I think and so far the only heat has been the blowdryer -- about 3 times in that time period-- last night I roller set my hair and stayed under the dryer about 30 minutes and then went to bed with rollers in my hair so it air dryed the rest of the way. But I was planning on blowing out the roots twice a week. This is the only heat I have been using (other than when under the dryer). What heat protector might you recommend? TIA

BTW, Ms. c you have some beautiful healthy looking hair. I checked out your Dominican Blowout photos and I was impressed.

Last edited:
ccd said:
Congrats on achieving your look...becareful and use a heat protector just to protect that new growth and relaxed ends

Thanks. The past couple of times I haven't used a special heat protector. I wash and deep condition and then apply lacio lacio to my hair directly and then add a bit in the spray bottle with water and use it to wet hair that gets to dry to roll properly. Do you think that's enough of a heat protector or do I need to use something else. I don't want to mess up the positve streak I've got going by drying out my roots. TIA

@Webby:

I went out and bought the Turbo 1500. How on earth do you use that thing on the highest speed and highest heat? That thing is hot as I don't know what. The best I can do is medium heat.

caligirl said:
@Webby:

I went out and bought the Turbo 1500. How on earth do you use that thing on the highest speed and highest heat? That thing is hot as I don't know what. The best I can do is medium heat.

Cali, I don't have the same hair dryer that Webby has -- I got mine from Eckerds -- I'm sure it doesn't get as hot. I was using Webby's technique. I wouldn't mind having the same or similar dryer though. Can you tell me where you bought it -- what is the brand? TIA

@ vickyd - Perfecting your rollerset will come, however it's less important that you have a neat rollerset, as long as:

1. your ends are smoothed around the rollers,
2. and your hair is completely dry when your remove them.

The blowdryer will take care of any crinkles you have in your roots ;)

caligirl said:
@Webby:

Cali, - I had to practice. Anything other than the highest heat doesn't remove my waves. What I did was use a door-mounted mirror and standing mirror to view the back of my hair, as I positioned the dryer. I watched the nozzle location carefully and paid close attention to my hand location and movement. It took a very long time to get to the point where I don't need a mirror (I still look in the mirror to do the front and sides, but don't need to use the standing mirror anymore).

The key is to point the nozzle on the hair, flowing downward, NOT ON THE SCALP. This is a common mistake. The nozzle should almost look as if it's parallel with your hair. Does that make sense?

Can I ask a question:

Would using a not so hot flat iron do the same trick as a blow dryer.

I am doing wash and set with the mesh rollers and i like how quickly my hair air dries but it is just not as straight as the salon. If I used a warm to hot flat rion to go over (one run thru) each section that was rolled do you think this would be damaging?

Thanks

vickyd said:
I have been working on this method for about 2-3 weeks I think and so far the only heat has been the blowdryer -- about 3 times in that time period-- last night I roller set my hair and stayed under the dryer about 30 minutes and then went to bed with rollers in my hair so it air dryed the rest of the way. But I was planning on blowing out the roots twice a week. This is the only heat I have been using (other than when under the dryer). What heat protector might you recommend? TIA

BTW, Ms. c you have some beautiful healthy looking hair. I checked out your Dominican Blowout photos and I was impressed.
Thanks for the compliment. I actually don't have any suggestions. I haven't done heat on my hair at home. I had Ion, but that smelled horrible.
I'm sure someone else has recommended one for you.
The amount of heat doesn't sound so bad as long as you protect your hair.
Good luck!

lkg4healthyhair said:
Would using a not so hot flat iron do the same trick as a blow dryer.

I am doing wash and set with the mesh rollers and i like how quickly my hair air dries but it is just not as straight as the salon. If I used a warm to hot flat rion to go over (one run thru) each section that was rolled do you think this would be damaging?

Thanks

I don't see why you couldn't use a flat iron. What type flatiron do you use? I have a Sedu and with it I can adjust the temp. I haven't tried a flat iron but it might work as well. I'll give you the same advise Ms. C gave me -- be careful with heat and try a heat protector. When I have used a flat iron I normally use Matrix iron smoother from their sleek hair line, I think -- or Biosilk. My thing recently has been that since it is "warm" down here in the South (read hot as heck) I have been trying not to use too much product, because that just decreases the time between shampoos. HTH

Last edited:
Back