My natural hair won't straighten!

shellzfoshizzle

I'm not completely natural, but transitioning. Even my rollersets are starting to look like a bush with strings on the end. I decided that if I am not going to wear a bun/ponytail, then my hair is going to be blowdried straight and my edges/roots flatironed.

Problem. It's not getting straight. AT all. I know hairtyping around here is subjective, but I have 4b hair. If there was a 4z, then that would be my hair. The new growth gets a little straight by the blowdrier but not as straight as I want it. No matter how many times I flat iron the roots, it doesn't get straight.

I have a $15 Vidal Sassoon flat iron from Target that I use. Is this my problem? Should I be using a ceramic plate, maxiglide or one of the fancy shmancy flat irons?

And should I be using a straightening balm/cream? Me being a PJ...I was tempted to buy some from somewhere.

Maybe you should get a better flat iron. I had a jilbere de paris and that didn't get my hair straight at all. But I bought their tourmaline flat iron and it gets my hair really straight. I also use IC Fantasia straigtening serum.

I had this problem after a while too. Switching from waterbased products to oil based products helped some. I used hask straight solution and it helped with reversion somewhat as well. Also try the BBD flat ironing cream/lotion. I've used it since being 100% natural and was actually able to get my flat iron to last more than 2 min. I made it to almost 2days. I'm not sure what to tell you about the flat iron, personally I prefer the ceramic, you can use higher temps w/o damage. Just be careful with the heat in general, you dont want to damage your newgrowth as it comes in. :)

Yeah, that flat iron might not get hot enough. I have one like that from Target that works on my hair but it will not straighten my weaves. It doesn't get hot enough. HTH...

Is your hair moisturized? My grandmother tried to press my hair with a pressing comb and it was not strait at all and I think that happened because my hair was dry.

I agree that your flatiron is definitely the problem. My first "ceramic" flatiron was a $12.99 Conair, and I was wondering why my hair wasn't looking like it did when I went to the salon and they used a CHI. I moved up to a $40 iron from Sally's (forget the brand) and that was a whole new world. That has since broken (dropped one too many times) and I just ordered a Solia. But you should see much better results from a $30-40 ceramic iron.

aminata said:
Maybe you could try no-heat styles like twists or braid outs.

That's my advice to. Why not try to make your relaxed hair look like your natural hair rather than trying to force it to be the other way around. You can do braid/twist outs and still get where buns and ponytails if you want, they will just have a cute crickly texture. You can try rollersets too. Good luck with your transition.

I use a denman d3 brush to smooth each section before I blowdry it. After brushing the section, I hold the ends in one hand and use the other hand to move the mouth of the blowdryer up and down the section. My hair gets very straight this way.

The maxiglide works for my type 4-ish hair. I have yet to attempt rollersetting because i'm pretty sure either my naps will laugh or i'll need to acquire some serious technique. Also, I think naturallady is on to something- the more I condition my hair, the straighter it gets when I flat iron.

ITA that the flatiron is the problem. Like some of the ladies mentioned, have you considered texture friendly styles such as braidouts? They were really key in getting me through my transition.

Back in the day my hair used to straighten perfectly with John Freida's Frizz Ease and Dax grease and a blow drier. However, over the years as I cared better for my hair, usually when it wouldn't straighten meant it was super healthy and very resistant. I have your hair type. My hair even used to revert from super strength perms kept on extra long. You should be happy it won't straighten. Maybe its time to get rid of those ends?

Why damage it by using excessive heat (and it is excessive if you have to really go out your way to make it straight.).

hotshot said:
Back in the day my hair used to straighten perfectly with John Freida's Frizz Ease and Dax grease and a blow drier. However, over the years as I cared better for my hair, usually when it wouldn't straighten meant it was super healthy and very resistant. I have your hair type. My hair even used to revert from super strength perms kept on extra long. You should be happy it won't straighten. Maybe its time to get rid of those ends?

Why damage it by using excessive heat (and it is excessive if you have to really go out your way to make it straight.).

You ladies are totally right. I just suck at doing twist-outs, braid outs and bantu knots, yet I love those styles! I refuse to pay someone to do my two textured hair. I need to learn to do those styles and have patience, so tonight I rolled my hair on orange (1/2 inch I think) perm rods so I can have nice curls tomorrow.

I don't know why I continue to rock straight styles and doobies (rollersets) cause I have been walking around looking a hot mess. Not that I can't do rollersets (I'm the bomb at them!), it just isn't working at the moment. I rarely use heat, only when I try to blowdry and straighten which isn't very often.

Sometime down the road, I am going to invest in a very nice ceramic flat iron for my resistant, coarse hair so whenever I do decide to flatiron, it'll come out how I like it.

How about - your hair doesn't want to be straight. Go w/ the flow and let your natural hair do what it does. It will be happier.

shellzfoshizzle said:
I'm not completely natural, but transitioning. Even my rollersets are starting to look like a bush with strings on the end. I decided that if I am not going to wear a bun/ponytail, then my hair is going to be blowdried straight and my edges/roots flatironed.

Problem. It's not getting straight. AT all. I know hairtyping around here is subjective, but I have 4b hair. If there was a 4z, then that would be my hair. The new growth gets a little straight by the blowdrier but not as straight as I want it. No matter how many times I flat iron the roots, it doesn't get straight.

I have a $15 Vidal Sassoon flat iron from Target that I use. Is this my problem? Should I be using a ceramic plate, maxiglide or one of the fancy shmancy flat irons?

And should I be using a straightening balm/cream? Me being a PJ...I was tempted to buy some from somewhere.

Tene said:
Maybe you should get a better flat iron. I had a jilbere de paris and that didn't get my hair straight at all. But I bought their tourmaline flat iron and it gets my hair really straight. I also use IC Fantasia straigtening serum.

I have the same one too (It was only good if I put the heat all the way up, I did not want to fry my hair)...but I upgraded to a maxiglide last month. Upgrade your iron and you will see results. I am on setting 3 sometime 4 on the maxiglide and my hair comes out bone straight. I am not saying get maxiglide, but I am saying you get what you paid for. Good luck :)

I totally agree with the bolded part.
hotshot said:

Back