My Mom Thinks That I'm Obsessed With My Hair...

TigerLily

My Mom Thinks That I\'m Obsessed With My Hair...

I was so suprised when she said this to me. She sees me getting all of this products. I try to explain to her that I'm trying to find the right products for my hair now that it's natural, but I don't think that she understands. She thinks that my hair is going to fall out because I put so much stuff on it. She also doesn't understand me washing my hair every week. She thinks that will dry it out and that' just for 'white people'. It kind of made me feel bad. How should I handle this and has anyone else experienced this?

Re: My Mom Thinks That I\'m Obsessed With My Hair.

Keep doing what you do if it's working for you, regardless of what anyone says. Only YOU know what works for YOU.
smile.gif

Re: My Mom Thinks That I\'m Obsessed With My Hair...

I think that there are three ways to handle this.

Tell her to shove it and leave you alone (in the nicest way possible of course)

Don't tell her anything and let her see the results of the good treatment that you're giving your hair.

Try to teach her what you have learned about hair.

When I started doing my own hair I got some comments from my mom. I did the first one
smile.gif

laugh.gif
@ Devi!

You know I do try and teach her what I've learned about my hair. I'm so excited because I never really knew how to care for my hair before and I'm finding out so much valuable information. There's so many products that I didn't even know that were out there. But, she still views this as obessesion. I just wish that she didn't feel that way *sighs*

Many people do not understand what we are trying to do here. *sigh* I would just politely tell her that your results might change her mind and keep doing what you know is right for your hair. And when your hair is healthy and long, trust me, she will come to you. They ALWAYS do. *sigh*

My mom tells me the same thing. She asks me why do I wash my hair everyday and it's gonna dry out my hair and blah, blah, blah. She also complains about me buying to many products.

My mom gives me my relaxer touch-ups and she did my hair yesterday. She kept rolling her eyes about all the products I wanted to put in my hair. She kept saying "conditioners are for white folks" and "I bet your hair will be the same length later on as it is now" and some other things. After she got done with my hair, she talked about how silky it looked & felt and how much thicker & longer my hair has gotten.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Keep doing what you do if it's working for you, regardless of what anyone says. Only YOU know what works for YOU.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

Don't worry my mom thinks the SAME exact thing. She pissed me off the other day because she says. "Look at my hair, its growing and I don't even take vitamins and do all the crap you do to your hair". I was so mad at her when she said that. I just keep my products out of her site so she doesn't know what I'm doing at all. I don't discuss my hair with her anymore or mention the board at all. But its funny cause she came to me the other day asking for advice because she dyed and colored her hair in the same week and now it looks like straw. So don't worry. When people don't understand something they criticize it.

My grandmother says the whole you're hair is going to fall out because you keep putting so much in it thing... when my hair gets to bra strap,I think she'll be quiet then...

For a minute there I was thinking, 'maybe I AM obsessed'. After posting this and reading the replies I feel much better. Thanks ladies!
kiss.gif

Tigerlily, I can understand how you feel. The way I see it is that when it comes to hair, especially hair, the generations before us are pretty "old school". They're used to always straightening hair so a lot don't even know or remember how to manage natural hair. All you have to say is that my hair texture is different now and these are the products and regime that work for ME. Just keep doing what you're doing! You'll hear the oohs and ahhhs soon enough!
smile.gif

My mom does the SAME thing too! She always says my hair is gonna fall out because I try a lot of things. She says my hair will fall out if i dont grease my scalp (right..). I just stopped letting her know anything. Like when I bought Suave Conditioner for my co washes, she wanted to know what it was for, I lied and told her it was for shaving my legs. I'm sick of hearing her criticize me. You're not the only one who deals with this crap, just keep doing what you do and when your hair is more beautiful, healthy, and long, everyone will be at your door begging to know how you got it that way.

my friends say this to me all the time and have the nerve to call me bald, patches, and no hair
mad.gif
(they just kidding though) Little do they now that my hair will surpass their length within a years time
grin.gif

yeah, my lil sis was hatin' when i told her about my hair regimine and told her that my goal was to gain 8 inches by december. then i showed her a bottle of surge and she was "like um, you might lose 8 inches instead of gaining"...

[ QUOTE ]
Aaliyah said:
Shaving my legs?????
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, you didn't know you could use hair conditioner as a shaving cream? i read that on the motions website q&a
smile.gif

It was a running joke among my parents and still is. They didn't realize how serious my LHCF disease was until I went home to visit and spent more time on the computer instead of in the pool! I think the greatest satisfaction was showing my mom pictures from my hair journal. My hair was healthy again after 10 years of damage and it was growing rapidly. Now she asks all the time, "what do the girls on the board say about..."

It's cute.

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
Aaliyah said:
Shaving my legs?????
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, you didn't know you could use hair conditioner as a shaving cream? i read that on the motions website q&a
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea...are you being serious...wow...this is new for me. Boy, this forum is so informative.

Well my husband says I'm obsessed with my hair and I'll admit he's right. But I'm bored and I'm in love with my hair and him (of course not in that order) so it's no big deal.

[ QUOTE ]
Aaliyah said:
[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
Aaliyah said:
Shaving my legs?????
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea...are you being serious...wow...this is new for me. Boy, this forum is so informative.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yeah i'm serious. here's the link to where i found that out: http://www.motionshair.com/ht_4ss_si.cfm

Back