My Husband is Upset over MTG

kegbire27

My husband did the laundry on Sunday and put the towel that I used to wash my hair (which had MTG all over the towel) in the laundry with the other towels and now the others smell of MTG. How do I get the smell out? Please help? He keeps asking me what is the stuff used for and I'm too embarrassed to tell him. He noticed the bottle on our dresser one morning while he thought I was completely asleep and took it out of the room to read the contents of bottle. He brought it back in the room but he never asked what I was doing with it until the laundry incident. He knows that it was the bottle on the dresser that made the laundry smell so bad because he smelled it when he went to read the bottle label. I need help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sooo embarrassed! I heard that the smell was bad but I never imagined that it would smell like a cross of bacon and a horse's butt. That's just my opinion I don't want to offend anyone. I do believe that I may have used way to much of this stuff. Has anyone else had this problem with laundry?

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol:This is the very reason I do not use this stuff. I really want to reap the rewards from it, but I just cannot tolerate the smell. I swear my pillow still smells like it and I ain't used this stuff in months! The oder is just lingering around for some reason. Anyway, maybe try adding baking soda to the wash. Use some liquid fabric softener...matter fact, use extra! :lachen:

By the way, why didn't you tell your husband what it was for? I told my man upfront. He smelled it and gave me this look as if to say, "is having long hair really worth this funk?" :lachen:

kreeme said:
:lol::lol::lol:This is the very reason I do not use this stuff. I really want to reap the rewards from it, but I just cannot tolerate the smell. I swear my pillow still smells like it and I ain't used this stuff in months! The oder is just lingering around for some reason. Anyway, maybe try adding baking soda to the wash. Use some liquid fabric softener...matter fact, use extra! :lachen:

By the way, why didn't you tell your husband what it was for? I told my man upfront. He smelled it and gave me this look as if to say, "is having long hair really worth this funk?" :lachen:

He washed the laundry twice and the smell is still there. My husband, family, and friends believe I need to seek professional help for my obession with my hair. If I tell him that I purchase a product for horses to make my hair grow faster I can see him calling the people with the white jackets to come and pick me up right now. I have two children to raise and they need there momma. However, I'll try the baking soda. Thank you for the suggestion.

Just tell him. I think it's a liitle worse that you're not saying anything at all.

I don't think MTG is a married ladies thing...:lol: , unless your man knows your obsession:user: :assimilat

Maybe a product like Febreeze might help? I don't know because I haven't had a problem with the smell at all, except for when I put it on at night. Applying in the morning after a CO wash all but remedies the smell problem, that and I use Rosemary Oil in mine.

I'd hate to see them carting you away! :lol:

I never had a problem with the mtg taking over the other laundry towels. :eek: If Mtg is taking over yr laundry, why not just wash the towel separate? As for yr hubby, tell him what it is. Why be embarrassed? I use All w. bleach alternative. I hope this helps.

Eiano said:
I don't think MTG is a married ladies thing...:lol: , unless your man knows your obsession:user: :assimilat

Then I'm gonna be single for a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG TIME!! :lol:

Eiano said:
Just tell him. I think it's a liitle worse that you're not saying anything at all.

He knows of the obsession but he'll say this is over the top. I just want the laundry thing fixed.

VWVixxen said:
Maybe a product like Febreeze might help? I don't know because I haven't had a problem with the smell at all, except for when I put it on at night. Applying in the morning after a CO wash all but remedies the smell problem, that and I use Rosemary Oil in mine.

I'd hate to see them carting you away! :lol:

I'm running to the store with my shopping list: baking soda, febreeze, and any other suggestions?

vinegar. My G-ma says that white vinegar can get the scent out of things. Or if you have a clothes line, hang them outside.

Hi Kegbire27:
This my very first post and it took the issue of that MTG smell to force my hand to debut on the forum! I received my supply of MTG on Tuesday and I've since used it twice. My BF claims he didn't smell anything out of the ordinary/offensive, but my 10 y/o daughter didn't hold back - straight-up bacon fat! Did you try mixing it with 1 or more EO? I did some brief research on good smelling EO's that are compatible with, or at least not damaging to hair/scalp health and came up with: Peppermint, Lemon, Jasmine, sweet orange, rosemary, vanilla, sweet almond, coconut. The last three I couldn't get my hands on in my area though. Anyway, I did a combo of Jas, Peppermint, Lemon and Orange and that lessened the smell considerably. I'm not sure the oiliness can be helped though. As for the laundry stain, Kreeme's suggestion for the smell is a good one. If there are oily stains, you could try to re-wash you items after using Carbona Stain Devils #5 for fat/grease in the yellow bottle.

Hope this helps! I can't believe I posted -yeah!!!

blac_quarian said:
Hi Kegbire27:
This my very first post and it took the issue of that MTG smell to force my hand to debut on the forum! I received my supply of MTG on Tuesday and I've since used it twice. My BF claims he didn't smell anything out of the ordinary/offensive, but my 10 y/o daughter didn't hold back - straight-up bacon fat! Did you try mixing it with 1 or more EO? I did some brief research on good smelling EO's that are compatible with, or at least not damaging to hair/scalp health and came up with: Peppermint, Lemon, Jasmine, sweet orange, rosemary, vanilla, sweet almond, coconut. The last three I couldn't get my hands on in my area though. Anyway, I did a combo of Jas, Peppermint, Lemon and Orange and that lessened the smell considerably. I'm not sure the oiliness can be helped though. As for the laundry stain, Kreeme's suggestion for the smell is a good one. If there are oily stains, you could try to re-wash you items after using Carbona Stain Devils #5 for fat/grease in the yellow bottle.

Hope this helps! I can't believe I posted -yeah!!!

Welcome! I'm glad to hear from you! I need help immediately. Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't notice any stains just the smell of MTG.

kegbire27 said:
My husband did the laundry on Sunday and put the towel that I used to wash my hair (which had MTG all over the towel) in the laundry with the other towels and now the others smell of MTG. How do I get the smell out? Please help? He keeps asking me what is the stuff used for and I'm too embarrassed to tell him. He noticed the bottle on our dresser one morning while he thought I was completely asleep and took it out of the room to read the contents of bottle. He brought it back in the room but he never asked what I was doing with it until the laundry incident. He knows that it was the bottle on the dresser that made the laundry smell so bad because he smelled it when he went to read the bottle label. I need help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sooo embarrassed! I heard that the smell was bad but I never imagined that it would smell like a cross of bacon and a horse's butt. That's just my opinion I don't want to offend anyone. I do believe that I may have used way to much of this stuff. Has anyone else had this problem with laundry?

LMAO!!! I'm sorry :-( Try Oxy Clean or backing soda in your wash. That should help...

Other than that, I'd say don't use the stuff...humans weren't meant to go around smelling like bacon and horse butt, lol.

Don't forget that MTG was originally for human use! That said, I think the Febreeze laundry additive will be great, or the Bounce with Febreeze. The laudry additive is so expensive though. Good luck! Let us know how this turns out.

Apparently the oil is still in the towels, so you need a grease cutter. Maybe soak them first in 20 Mule Team Borax or Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (both laundry boosters, find these in the laundry aisle), and/or ammonia, then add some to the wash water. Good luck.

kegbire27 said:
like a cross of bacon and a horse's butt.
Oh. My. GAWD, lol!!:lachen:
you sure don't want to get out of the shower and end up smelling like bacon and horse butt, lol!!
I agree with the vinegar, or maybe even something like Simple Green? It's pretty ruthless with stuff that soaks into other stuff.

karezone said:
vinegar. My G-ma says that white vinegar can get the scent AND hang them outside.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Scented fabric softner sheets in the laundry basket may help tame the other towels.

Worst case scenario. Buy some new towels. Keep hubby happy. Find another product not so offensive. There are tons of products on this site to choose from. :)

Go to Walmart's and pick up a container of Oxyclean which is terrific organic type cleaner and it should take out the grease and the smell. Hope this helps. It is what I would use. It is better than a cover up. It is a remover type of product. Bonjour

I've also heard ammonia works well to get smells out of clothes. Just dilute it in the water of the laundry. Don't put it directly on the towels!

kegbire27 said:
I'm running to the store with my shopping list: baking soda, febreeze, and any other suggestions?

20 Mule Team Borax...removes most odors...but The Stank is stubborn! :D

It is a fact that Washing Machines have a hard time getting oil out.

You should soak them first in any of the items that everyone suggests.

Then wash them in the machine.

kegbire27 said:
My husband did the laundry on Sunday and put the towel that I used to wash my hair (which had MTG all over the towel) in the laundry with the other towels and now the others smell of MTG. How do I get the smell out? Please help? He keeps asking me what is the stuff used for and I'm too embarrassed to tell him. He noticed the bottle on our dresser one morning while he thought I was completely asleep and took it out of the room to read the contents of bottle. He brought it back in the room but he never asked what I was doing with it until the laundry incident. He knows that it was the bottle on the dresser that made the laundry smell so bad because he smelled it when he went to read the bottle label. I need help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sooo embarrassed! I heard that the smell was bad but I never imagined that it would smell

hey, thanks for bringing up this topic because i am having laundry problems too. its best to have a "mtg" towel, i washed all my towels together and had to wash them 5 times before i could smell the persil and comfort!

I was thinking ammonia too. Just add it to the wash after the water has covered your clothes. Use warm or hot water. I always get the lemon ammonia. Let us know how it comes out.

Back