My horrible, HORRIBLE weave!

phynestone

A few days ago, I went to get a sewn-in weave. This person was referred to me by a woman who braids my sister's hair. I figured that she must be decent, but was I wrong!!! First of all, she kept taking long breaks as she was doing my hair, made me go and oil my scalp (okay, it was dry but still) and took an hour longer than she said it would take! I asked her on the phone before we met if she knew how to do a sewn-in weave w/ no hair showing and homegirl claimed she did. All of the other places in my city were charging more than I was willing to dish out, so I guess I really got what I paid for. The weave just looks so...um, ghetto. There's never been a time when I've wanted to take out my hair after getting it done until now. It looks THAT bad! I will never go cheap again when comes to my weaves...

How bad is it really? Today I saw my first "weave", and the only reason I noticed it is because I was sitting next to a lady who was having one put in her hair while I was getting mine texturized. I've heard people talk about weaves but had never encountered one in real life.

That being said, I don't think I could ever tell the difference between a good weave and a bad weave. Now that I think about it, I've probably seen weaves all my life but have always thought they were real hair. So, what does a bad weave look like?

Topher said:
How bad is it really? Today I saw my first "weave", and the only reason I noticed it is because I was sitting next to a lady who was having one put in her hair while I was getting mine texturized. I've heard people talk about weaves but had never encountered one in real life.

That being said, I don't think I could ever tell the difference between a good weave and a bad weave. Now that I think about it, I've probably seen weaves all my life but have always thought they were real hair. So, what does a bad weave look like?

IMO, a good weave is one that looks natural. A bad one is one where you can see the tracks, or the hair is ratty or doesn't match the natural hair, or has strings hanging...something like that.

19sweetie said:
A few days ago, I went to get a sewn-in weave. This person was referred to me by a woman who braids my sister's hair. I figured that she must be decent, but was I wrong!!! First of all, she kept taking long breaks as she was doing my hair, made me go and oil my scalp (okay, it was dry but still) and took an hour longer than she said it would take! I asked her on the phone before we met if she knew how to do a sewn-in weave w/ no hair showing and homegirl claimed she did. All of the other places in my city were charging more than I was willing to dish out, so I guess I really got what I paid for. The weave just looks so...um, ghetto. There's never been a time when I've wanted to take out my hair after getting it done until now. It looks THAT bad! I will never go cheap again when comes to my weaves...

Yup, you usually get what you pay for when it comes to weaves. Sorry you had to go through that. I sure it doesn't look as bad as you think it is...

This totally happened to me last year! My stylist pulled and pulled on my poor hair and my head hurt so bad I was silently crying in my chair. When she was done (she said you wouldn't be able to see any tracks- it was curly hair) you could about 2 inches of 3 rows on the top!!!

don't worry girl. just go home and play with it a bit. get some styling products and try to find different ways to manipulate it. i'm sure you'll find something cute.

Sorry you had to endure that, and it is so true, we do get what we pay for. If you really can't take it, just remove it and start over. You'll be alright.

I have found a way to manipulate it so it can look decent, but this means I'm going to be spending a little more time in front of the mirror than I had expected. And to think I had this put in to cut down on that!

19sweetie said:
I have found a way to manipulate it so it can look decent, but this means I'm going to be spending a little more time in front of the mirror than I had expected. And to think I had this put in to cut down on that!

That is one of the main reasons why after 2 sew ins I just could not get used to it. The only weave that I actually enjoyed left a lot of my hair out so it was pointless.

There is nothing wrong with removing early, though. :)

Back