My Hair wont stay Straight!!!

vpoetic

For some reason ever since last summer, every time that I press my hair it only stay straight for about a day. I basically use the same products that I have always used. I do love the way that my hair looks when it curls up, but after taking about two hours to straighten it I would love for it to straight for at least a week. Does anyone have any advise? Please!!!

I don't straighten my hair very often at all, but last time I went to my stylist he pressed it and THEN flat ironed it, and it stayed bone straight but with movement for a week until I washed it. It likely would have stayed straight much longer than that if I had left it alone.

He used two leave-in conditioners from Matrix Biolage (a protein and a moisture), and then some type of silicone gloss/heat protectant that I don't remember.

A LOT of direct heat but very effective. My hair has not suffered, but then again that was the first time in like 7 years that I've used heat like that.

Good luck. Hopefully some others with more straightening experience will chime in.

OP, you need to be more specific about your technique and products otherwise folks cannot tell what it is that's thwarting your results.

ironically, i used to have this problem when i was relaxed. now i know that it was because i generally didn't do a good job with blowdrying. usually, you want your blowdryer to do 70% of the straightening

OP, you need to be more specific about your technique and products otherwise folks cannot tell what it is that's thwarting your results.

I am natural, I don’t use any chemical in my hair. I wash my hair every two week usually either with alaffia, crème of nature, profectiv, or shea moisture. After washing and conditioning my hair I put a little oil in my hair and I let it air dry, which takes forever. Then I hot comb it, I don’t really have my hair bone straight because I am usually afraid that if I have the comb that hot it will burn my hair. That is pretty much my routine.

I am natural, I don’t use any chemical in my hair. I wash my hair every two week usually either with alaffia, crème of nature, profectiv, or shea moisture. After washing and conditioning my hair I put a little oil in my hair and I let it air dry, which takes forever. Then I hot comb it, I don’t really have my hair bone straight because I am usually afraid that if I have the comb that hot it will burn my hair. That is pretty much my routine.

I am assuming when you said it's the same thing you've been doing, that in the past your hair didn't revert? If it did, then it's time to change things around coz doing the same thing expecting different results is kinda crazy. Now if it used to work before and just hasn't recently. it's hard to say why--but we still do need to change things around.

The first thing I notice missing is some product to keep moisture out. Some people find grease does a good job of that. I don't know what oil you use but it obviously isn't keeping moisture out of your hair. Many of us use a cone serum to keep moisture out...so perhaps you could add that. Also heat protectant are good to use when you use heat. I know some people don't use them, but I used them for the first time in 2009 and I will never use heat w/o them again. I got a very good flatiron job and there was no that smell one usually gets when one straightens hair, not during the flatironing, after or even when I washed my hair later that week. And I had no damage.

You may get some tips from threads on straightening:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=400194

I am assuming when you said it's the same thing you've been doing, that in the past your hair didn't revert? If it did, then it's time to change things around coz doing the same thing expecting different results is kinda crazy. Now if it used to work before and just hasn't recently. it's hard to say why--but we still do need to change things around.

The first thing I notice missing is some product to keep moisture out. Some people find grease does a good job of that. I don't know what oil you use but it obviously isn't keeping moisture out of your hair. Many of us use a cone serum to keep moisture out...so perhaps you could add that. Also heat protectant are good to use when you use heat. I know some people don't use them, but I used them for the first time in 2009 and I will never use heat w/o them again. I got a very good flatiron job and there was no that smell one usually gets when one straightens hair, not during the flatironing, after or even when I washed my hair later that week. And I had no damage.

You may get some tips from threads on straightening:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=400194

Thank you so much Nonie, I will definitely check out these links that you suggested.

Maybe your hair has become more porous over time. I searched online and some remedies for overly porous hair are:

1) Protien Treatments
2) Clear or Color Rinses
3) Acidic Conditioners
4) Acidic Rinses (ex. ACV)

Back