My hair won't press

Millahdoowop

I recently took out my braids on Wednesday and I made an attempt to press my hair yesterday. I've never had a problem before while pressing my hair, but this time it refused to get straight. I'm a little frustrated. I don't know if it's this mtg that made my hair thicker or what. I only put it on my scalp, but my hair is overall much thicker. I took care of my hair first before I pressed it yesterday. After I took my braids out I washed my hair, clarified, did a protein treatment, deep conditioned and did a final conditioner with porosity control. Then I did a cellophane, the Sebastian's Coloushines. Then on Saturday I wore my hair natural and I used s-curl on my hair and mango butter. Then when I got home last nite I did a conditoner wash to remove those products in my hair and I put in mango butter to moisturize my hair. Then I made my attempt to press my hair and my hair told me :nono:. I have no idea what's going on with my hair. ::sigh::

kitchen_tician said:
What are you using to "press" your hair? A flat iron or straightening comb? Do you normally use mango butter to "press"?

I used a straightening comb. I don't normally use mango butter, before I used wild growth hair oil in my hair to moisturize before pressing my hair. But I didn't think it would make much of a difference because my hair usually presses well, but I don't know what to make of it. I'm happy that I do have thicker hair though. That's a +.

It's probably because you used the mango butter. Maybe that moisturizes your hair too much, causing your hair to straighten. Word of advice....stick to products that work for you. I remember I used a different conditioner on my hair once, and it made my hair really soft, but when it was time to press, it came out poofy because it was just moisturized too much. Stick with the oil.

Millah03 said:
I used a straightening comb. I don't normally use mango butter, before I used wild growth hair oil in my hair to moisturize before pressing my hair. But I didn't think it would make much of a difference because my hair usually presses well, but I don't know what to make of it. I'm happy that I do have thicker hair though. That's a +.

Oh, well that's probably the reason. Mango butter isn't good for pressing, because it's water based. It's best to use an oil or "pressing" grease for "hot comb" pressing.

Millah03 said:
I recently took out my braids on Wednesday and I made an attempt to press my hair yesterday. I've never had a problem before while pressing my hair, but this time it refused to get straight. I'm a little frustrated. I don't know if it's this mtg that made my hair thicker or what. I only put it on my scalp, but my hair is overall much thicker. I took care of my hair first before I pressed it yesterday. After I took my braids out I washed my hair, clarified, did a protein treatment, deep conditioned and did a final conditioner with porosity control. Then I did a cellophane, the Sebastian's Coloushines. Then on Saturday I wore my hair natural and I used s-curl on my hair and mango butter. Then when I got home last nite I did a conditoner wash to remove those products in my hair and I put in mango butter to moisturize my hair. Then I made my attempt to press my hair and my hair told me :nono:. I have no idea what's going on with my hair. ::sigh::

I'll bet you my left foot, its the mango butter. I had the same problem with the glycerin I used once. I put glycerin in my hair before pressing and we all know that glycerin holds in moisture. So I run the comb through and my hair pops backs fluffy! I do it again and again and the same thing....fluffy. Nothing was straight.

You really don't need all that stuff to press your hair. I did the colourshines and press too. Hair came out great. What I did was shampoo hair, rinse, apply colourshine and let it sit for some hours because I don't have a dryer to process. Rinsed the excess product out and put on my own kitchen deep conditioning concoction: one egg, olive oil and some conditioner I had laying around. I covered my head with a plastic cap,and two scarves and left that on overnight. Next morning, rinsed out with cold water, I did not shampoo my hair. Then I blow dryed my hair and started to press in small sections. Took about an hour to press my whole head but it came out great!

Thanx guys. Now I know for the next time I press my hair not to use that dag on mango butter. ::sigh:: I really wanted to wear my hair out too because it grew. I guess I'll have to wait til next time.

Back