My hair went downhill

Kayanna1212

when i started using all these diffrent products..that i thought "would" make my hair grow..
im just going back to the plain Old ORS olive oil which made my hair grow.
i can no longer take advice unless it has nothing to do with a product i just want to get my hiar healthy and long again!

girrrrrrrllll.....sometimes keepin it simple is the best thing for ya :yep:

follow your instincts, and happy hair growing!

Simple works best for me too. I dont think there are any "miracle" products, atleast not for me. What products were you using?

Last edited:
i was using the Organic Root Stimulator Entire Olive Oil Line.
that made my hair grow so much but i wanted my hair to grow more so is tarted using Sulu,Groganics,Africas Best.
and it wasnt the best for me it all made my hair brake and made it damaged..using shower combs broke my hair..nothing worked for me..i had less breakage when i was using ORS..
and that is what im going back to i guess i will just have to wait and stay in braids till my hair is long enough to wear out. currently its right at my shoulder not hanging excatly on it.

Awww we all ahve setbacks. You'll be back on track in no time!! Happy Growing! Just stick to what works and make it work for you and be diligent to a regimen.

Kayanna, hair grows naturally it never stops. The issue is retaining length. A product does not necessarily make your hair grow, it either nurtures the hair you already have or create a better environment for growth. Work on retaining length and protect your ends.

Last edited:
Same thing happened with me. I tried way too many things and still trying to get back to where I was. I plan on keeping it simple and giving my hair some time to rest and catch back up.

Stick to what ALWAYS worked for you.

Same thing happened to me when I tried OCT/MTG & daily co-washing. And honestly I have no idea if it was the daily co-washing or OCT/MTG but that was the very first time since being natural I'd experience breakage.

I was very upset, and stopped everything new. I started back with the once a week wash and deep conditioning with my Aphogee & ORS and my hair stop breaking in about 2-3 weeks.

But now I'm afraid to try anything new, which is sad.

good for you. i feel like some people come here and get so overwhelmed and excited that they want to try everything. imo, if its not broke, don't fix it. you may end up worse than when you started.

good for you. i feel like some people come here and get so overwhelmed and excited that they want to try everything. imo, if its not broke, don't fix it. you may end up worse than when you started.

I think a lot of people think its the product that will make your hair grow. It is the care. The quality of the product does help, but if you are not protecting your hair what do you expect? If you blow dry every time you wash, you leave your ends exposed to the elements, you relax from root to tip, you over manipulate and your hair habits are not up to par, what do you expect?

I do get annoyed a little bit honestly when I see members post about hair not growing because the products are not making it grow.:nono: Your hair grows, you are not caring for what has already grown properly. It is then time to re-evaluate how you handle your hair.

Do you protect your ends?

Are they always sticking out?

Do you sleep with a scarf or on satin/silk pillow?

Do you moisturize?

If you have only been using proteins and phosphates with every wash, do you expect it not to be dry and not breaking?

You put in braids and oil your braids instead of moisturizing them, is it beneficial to your hair?

Do you DC with a moisturizing DC?

DO you even know what a moisturizing DC is?

Do you use cheap products?

when i started using all these diffrent products..that i thought "would" make my hair grow..
im just going back to the plain Old ORS olive oil which made my hair grow.
i can no longer take advice unless it has nothing to do with a product i just want to get my hiar healthy and long again!

love ur siggie! me loves nikki minaj! and the same thing happened to me when i started using megatek and all this other nonsense. But now i just use my good old shampoo and dc and im good. now for me stop using all this heat is a challenge. :wallbash:

I think a lot of people think its the product that will make your hair grow. It is the care. The quality of the product does help, but if you are not protecting your hair what do you expect? If you blow dry every time you wash, you leave your ends exposed to the elements, you relax from root to tip, you over manipulate and your hair habits are not up to par, what do you expect?

I do get annoyed a little bit honestly when I see members post about hair not growing because the products are not making it grow.:nono: Your hair grows, you are not caring for what has already grown properly. It is then time to re-evaluate how you handle your hair.

Do you protect your ends?

Are they always sticking out?

Do you sleep with a scarf or on satin/silk pillow?

Do you moisturize?

If you have only been using proteins and phosphates with every wash, do you expect it not to be dry and not breaking?

You put in braids and oil your braids instead of moisturizing them, is it beneficial to your hair?

Do you DC with a moisturizing DC?

DO you even know what a moisturizing DC is?

Do you use cheap products?

See about this one..ive been using "cheap products" my whole life and my hair was at its best then! and im using some good ol 3 dollar aussie and my hair loves it...so i dunno if that should even be a consideration cuz some hair may love the cheap stuff!

See about this one..ive been using "cheap products" my whole life and my hair was at its best then! and im using some good ol 3 dollar aussie and my hair loves it...so i dunno if that should even be a consideration cuz some hair may love the cheap stuff!

It really depends on what someone considers cheap. The single most expensive product I own is 16 dollars. But I don't consider my products cheap, because for the most part, they have ingredients that nurture my hair. As long as the ingredients are good and beneficial to my hair, I wouldn't call the product cheap, even if it only cost a penny.

I'd call a product cheap when it's nothing more than petroleum, fragrance, and coloring. And unfortunately, alot of products for black hair are exactly that, regardless of price tag. :nono:

I'm talking to you, Dr. Miracle. :rolleyes:

It really depends on what someone considers cheap. The single most expensive product I own is 16 dollars. But I don't consider my products cheap, because for the most part, they have ingredients that nurture my hair. As long as the ingredients are good and beneficial to my hair, I wouldn't call the product cheap, even if it only cost a penny.

I'd call a product cheap when it's nothing more than petroleum, fragrance, and coloring. And unfortunately, alot of products for black hair are exactly that, regardless of price tag. :nono:

I'm talking to you, Dr. Miracle. :rolleyes:

You get my point.

I think a lot of people think its the product that will make your hair grow. It is the care.

this is true. i see posts here sometimes from people asking if certain products will 'help' their hair grow. its always growing. it especially irks me to hear that from relaxed people, because if their hair didn't grow, they would NEVER need a touchup. :lol:

this is true. i see posts here sometimes from people asking if certain products will 'help' their hair grow. its always growing. it especially irks me to hear that from relaxed people, because if their hair didn't grow, they would NEVER need a touchup. :lol:

Thank you. I'm so sick of saying that. The people saying it are often the ones getting touch ups more often than anyone else.

If the product sounds too good to be true, then it probably is

I stopped with coping what other people were doing and just sticking to what works for me. I recently bought Megasilk because Traycee (she's my hair idol LOL ) uses it. I didn't take into consideration that she has relaxed hair. My hair HATED this product, on her it looks fantastic! I'm out $10 bucks LOL That's what I get. So just be careful what you put in your hair and if it doesn't agree with you once, don't keep using it.

Products don't make your hair grow, BUT overwhelming it w/ tons of stuff CAN affect your growth retention. If you're going to use many different products, rotate them...don't use them all at once. Check and see what effect each new product has before deciding to add a new one or continuing w/ that one. Some stuff can really dry/tangle the hair far beyond what's necessary.

I agree with all these ladies. Your hair IS growing. In the beginning, I had to try a lot of different stuff. At the end of the day, I listened to my own hair. I kept a journal, and now I've been adding photographs to it. Simple, that's it. If some people like a product, try it, if it doesn't work for YOU, chuck it!

Above all, be patient. Hair takes TIME to grow. Just look at the dates in people's fotki's. It took a whole year to go from SL to BSL, for some people 2 years. My hair is neck length, and I'm 5'9". I'm not gonna get to shoulder length in 3 months, no matter what I use. But my hair regimen is keeping what's growing strong and healthy.

Divide your regimen into simple categories:
Cleansing
Conditioning
Drying
Moisturizing
Styling
Protecting
Leave it alone

Every new product you try is in one of these categories. You don't need 5 different conditioners, maybe just two. You don't need 8 different shampoos. If something didn't work, do what I did.: give it away! Or sell it. Just do what works, is all I can say. And give it TIME.

ETA: example, there's one girl on Youtube (forgot her name). She used to use Garnier. Then she jumped on the Aphogee bandwagon. It didn't work for HER. She switched back to Garnier. For some reason, her hair just liked Garnier better and she stuck with it.

Last edited:
You have to be patient girlfriend. I would advise you to take pictures now, in 6 months, then a year and you'll see a difference. I recently cut off my hair and I won't be taking pictures until next year. Sometimes the changes are so subtle that you won't notice it, but when you have pictures to document your progress, then you'll see the difference.

Same thing happened to me when I tried OCT/MTG & daily co-washing. And honestly I have no idea if it was the daily co-washing or OCT/MTG but that was the very first time since being natural I'd experience breakage.

I was very upset, and stopped everything new. I started back with the once a week wash and deep conditioning with my Aphogee & ORS and my hair stop breaking in about 2-3 weeks.

But now I'm afraid to try anything new, which is sad.

I agree. I can totally relate. I got major growth when I was keeping it simple with braids that I had in for about 6 months or so. I got the braids redone a few times in that time span by the way. When I took my braids out I was so happy with my hair length that I wanted more. Greedy arse Kim. :nono: Big mistake, I tried MT and had protein overload and I lost a lot of hair. This was a major setback. :wallbash:
Singing, "If I, could turn back the hands of time."
:whyme::crying3:

Last edited:
So what are good mosturizing DCs? I have been trying to find one for the longest and thought ORS Pak was it until i heard it has protein in it...inputs?
I was thinking of trying the GVP version of The Detangler...what is that product best used as? I just heard it was nice also I wanted to try the GVP version of the Joico K-Pak too... a shopper next to me said it's really good and she knows cause she worked at sally's back when and tried it out. How is that one and is it used for a Moisturizing DC??? Thanks in advance.

Back