My hair was fabulous until i hit the door

blackhair

and the humidity outside... I did a wet set and airdry overnight. In the morning my hair was perfect silk until I get out. It become a huge poof/afro in less than a minute. Can you explain why? Can you suggest any product that can help maintain the silkness at least for a day, while I am at work? I do not mind roller setting every night if I can at least have it last for a full day. Thanks in advance.

blackhair said:
and the humidity outside... I did a wet set and airdry overnight. In the morning my hair was perfect silk until I get out. It become a huge poof/afro in less than a minute. Can you explain why? Can you suggest any product that can help maintain the silkness at least for a day, while I am at work? I do not mind roller setting every night if I can at least have it last for a full day. Thanks in advance.
Hun, it's call humidity - it's full of moisture). This is what it does to hair at times (especially when it's looking good).

Humidity and your particular type of hair. If you want yur hair to stay the same you have to protect it from the humidity. Sometimes that is very hard to do.

Some people have used Aveda Anti-Humectant to prevent problems with the humidity. Also, sometimes if you go a little heavier on the setting lotion it helps.

I am not sure if you are relaxed or not, but I use Sabino Moisture Block and that keeps my hair from frizzing up. I live in Texas. :) I just put it on my wet hair before rollersetting and it keeps it frizz free until I wash it again. I also use a little bit of the Aveda Anti-Humectant when I am finished and that has worked for me. Hope this helps!!

www.sabinohair.com

Super Skinny serum has worked really well for me. I put it on dry hair. Other than that, using weaves and extentions can save you the heart ache of dealing with your own hair.

the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. :( I diluted the lotta body setting lotion a little too much. Diluting it worked fine at first but this time, I was 8 weeks post relaxer. I then went back to the Keracare foam wrap/setting which does not need to be diluted and it came out fine.:)

I have the exact same problem with my hair frizzing up. Last night I rollerset my hair using Lottabody (un-diluted), NTM Silk-Touch, and I rubbed a little NTM Healing Shine Serum on my wet hair. I rolled it with a bunch of rollers and let it air dry overnight. I'm at work now, and my curls have not frizzed up. Using some serum on your wet hair before you roll should help. That's what I'm gonna start using, because the humidity down here can get awful. As far as washing everynight, I'm gonna try to keep my rollerset for at least 2 days. I need to practice on "sleeping pretty" lol

I haven't perfected this but I do prefer to wear a style that works with the humidity, like braidouts. Twistouts should work as well.
I use the Aveda Anti-Humectant (as mentioned) to seal in moisture when rollersetting to airdry, a little Aveda Brilliant serum over that and just a little more of both (just a little) after my hair has been styled.

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies. Yes I am relaxed but it is a little underprocessed.
I understand it is humidity. I will try some of the products you mentionned if it does not work out well I will go back to the BUN... (I wanted to change so bad) I have been bunning for 2 years (straight). My colleagues never saw me with my hair down until this summer. I wanted a new look...

And yes my hair is medium fine.

blackhair said:
Thanks Ladies. Yes I am relaxed but it is a little underprocessed.
I understand it is humidity. I will try some of the products you mentionned if it does not work out well I will go back to the BUN... (I wanted to change so bad) I have been bunning for 2 years (straight). My colleagues never saw me with my hair down until this summer. I wanted a new look...

And yes my hair is medium fine.
I'm sure you'll get your wish and be able to wear your hair down no matter what the weather. It's a matter of using the right products for your hair. One day we ladies will discover a routine/products that works every time, even in extreme humidity, for all of our hair types.

Are you sure that your hair was completely dry? If your hair was completely dry and you used a setting lotion and a little oil or serum then it should not have reverted that easily and fast. If i want to wear my hair straight in this weather, i always blowdry with a setting lotion and a serum and my hair holds pretty well... Curls may fall by the end of the day but it still looks decent...

I can say that the recent use of Aveda Brilliant Emollient Serum before blowdrying (while hair is wet) as opposed to using it after the hair is dry has helped my hair tremendously from reverting.

Back