MY HAIR ONLY BREAKS ON ONE SIDE

mezzogirl

Could someone tell me why I use the same products on my entire head of hair but one side continues to break and shed to the point that the back of my hair looks like I have an angular cut. The right side is almost BSL and angles up to the left to about shoulder lenghth. I am so frustrated because I treat my entire head the same. I even trimmed two inches off about a month ago so one side wouldn't look so much longer. Now there is a bigger difference than before i trimmed.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?:sad: HELPPPPPP!!!

Hmmm... you are wrapping/bunning/putting a scarf on every night right?

I was thinking that could be her problem b/c the side I sleep on is the longer side but everyone is different. I suggest to spend extra attention on your shorter side to encourage growth. For me I put conditioner on the crown first, then to my left side then to the right. I blowdry my right side first then my left so it doesn't get as much heat. Basically just be more gentle on your weaker side.

You're probably doing something different on one side and don't realize it, as everyone said above. You'll have to baby that side and pay more attention to it.

Moisturize row by row so you don't miss a section, don't sleep on that side, stop wrapping your hair; instead, try cross-wrapping or letting your hair be loose inside of a bonnet.

My sides seem to retain length better than the middle of my hair; I think I'm lazy about moisturizing the back on my hair...I recently trimmed it even and now I have to pay extra attention to that area.

maybe youre more heavy handed on your right side .. if your right handed :look: plus sleeping on that side for +hours isnt goood :perplexed

This happened to me when I used to wrap my hair.. Are you wrapping your hair, wearing your hair bunned on one side all the time?

Okay, Just got back home from running around with the family. Thanks for the responses. Right now my hair has been in braids under a wig and I tie it up with a silky scarf every night. I haven't wrapped my hair since earlier this year. No, I take that back. I wrapped it all summer and put it under a wig cap because I was performing 8 shows a week and 5 times on the week-end wrapping and un-wrapping between shows. I have always worn a silk or satin scarf/bonnet on my head at night.

try pin curls instead of all that wrapping. wrapping made my scalp hurt on one side and gave me a bald spot on that same side. ♥

Same thing happended to me and I decided to care for that side like nobody's business. I started my pre-poo on that side instead of my usual side. I did the same thing when I deep conditioned. Now that side is the strongest, thickest part of my hair.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will baby my short side and not do any wrapping. Every time I wear it out, I have to stop myself from cutting it all even and starting over. Again thanks everyone.

sigh* I wish I would have thought to start this thread about two wks ago when my one side was APL and the other SL. Now I just cut it all to a lil below shoulder, Thanks OP

dammit:nono::ohwell::perplexed

Here are a couple of pictures. So shouldn't I just cut it even straight across? It looks so bad.

Attachments

• Hair Photos december 2010 001.jpg
    Hair Photos december 2010 001.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 22
  • Hair Photos december 2010 007.jpg
    Hair Photos december 2010 007.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 21
It doesn't looks as bad as you think trim just a bit, baby it and in a month trim a bit more and you should be pretty even!
BTW the side prone to breakage should get extra moisture 1x a day and see if that helps!

I'm not sure if you relax/texlax or not, but that could be the culprit. My hair broke off due to using no-lye (to dry for my hair) I changed to LYE texlaxers and stopped wrapping my hair and I've been very happy with my progress.

Also, I realized I was massaging the top more than the back and that's why my top was growing so much faster than the back. Try changing up your routine and make sure that shorter side gets more moisture and tender care. Try to avoid heat, manipulation and combing too often. I only comb to detangle and that has worked wonders with keeping my thickness and length. I finger comb only and wear it all up in a bun day to day, unless it's a special occassion or sometimes down on the weekend only.

Back