My hair looks great, but I broke all the rules.

asubeauty

Right now, I am loving the way my hair looks and feels. I let my friend do my hair, and I am mad I slept on her cuz my hair is all soft and bouncy and blowing in the wind.

But...

When she did my hair, she washed and conditioned it, then she sprayed it with Lottabody setting lotion and blowdried it. Then she flat ironed it and curled it. She didn't use ANY product...no oil, moisturizer or anything. My hair looks much fuller and thicker (probably because it's not weighed down with products) and it is still so SOFT!!

When I do my own hair, I never use that much heat. I usually rollerset, but since my hair has been looking so thin, my rollersets have been coming out looking like :eek: and my hair has been looking very thin.

If I washed, airdried, and flat ironed my hair once a week, do you think that would be too much heat??? And also...Do I really need all those products when my hair looks so nice without them??? I know moisture is important, but moisture makes my hair look so thin and stringy ....:ohwell:

TIA for any responses.

I get the BEST results with no product. When I get my hair pressed, its deep conditioned and then no products are applied at all. I get it blow dried, pressed (twice) and curled and it comes out beautifully. I think you got to have skills though to use all that heat without damage.

If your hair loves it, then i dont think it will be too much heat. Personally i used to wash blowdry and flat iron once every two weeks and my hair was thicker than it is now... i only air dry now. so i'm only thinking of re-introducing some moderate heat to my regime on wash days.

Sometimes its good to 'break the rules' as what works for one does not work for another.

asubeauty said:
If I washed, airdried, and flat ironed my hair once a week, do you think that would be too much heat??? And also...Do I really need all those products when my hair looks so nice without them??? I know moisture is important, but moisture makes my hair look so thin and stringy ....:ohwell:

TIA for any responses.

I know the feeling. I started going to my hair dressers last month and I was a little scared because she said that my hair needed heat. When I go to her every 2 weeks, she washes, deep conditon, sit me under the dryer for about 15 mins, then she blow dryers and grease my scalp, after that she curls my hair and you know what, my hair comes out great. In addition, she stated not to put anything on my hair but grease as needed.

Now on the in between weeks I pre-shampoo, wash, deep condition my hair and then i do the same as she does and again my hair turns out great, I then roll my hair up at night to maintain the curl.

So I guess I to am joining the breaking all of the rules

I normally blowdry and flat iron once a week. After shampooing and deep conditioning, I apply my leave in NTM and ORS Olive Oil Lotion, and apply an oil to the ends. I let my hair airdry about 80 percent before I start to blowdry. My hair always feels soft.

asubeauty said:
Right now, I am loving the way my hair looks and feels. I let my friend do my hair, and I am mad I slept on her cuz my hair is all soft and bouncy and blowing in the wind.

But...

When she did my hair, she washed and conditioned it, then she sprayed it with Lottabody setting lotion and blowdried it. Then she flat ironed it and curled it. She didn't use ANY product...no oil, moisturizer or anything. My hair looks much fuller and thicker (probably because it's not weighed down with products) and it is still so SOFT!!

When I do my own hair, I never use that much heat. I usually rollerset, but since my hair has been looking so thin, my rollersets have been coming out looking like :eek: and my hair has been looking very thin.

TIA for any responses.

I complained to a stylist that I could never get my presses straight. They were always puffy. I told her that I've used pressing cremes and waxes and serums and all kinds of stuff. She told me that all of that stuff wieghs the hair down. I went to go and get an old school press and the lady washed, conditioned, dryed, rubbed something in my hair that was light (I don't know) then pressed. I looked like I just got a perm. Then I realized why I stopped perming in the first place. My hair although when natural looks thick is thin when straigtened out. I think less is more. I pressed my own hair this past Saturday. MY BEST PRESS EVER!!!

I washed my hair, applied a sabastian's colourshine, rinsed some of it out with cold water, went to the kitchen and cracked open an egg, pour in some olive oil and some left over conditioner, mixed and slapped that on my hair. I left that on overnight tied up tight, ( it drips something serious), woke up, rinsed with cold water, towled dry....and my hair felt soooooo soft. I usually air dry but did not have the time so I dusted off my blow dryer. My hair felt like silk after blow drying. I gathered my pressing supplies, sat by the kitchen stove and got to pressing. I even used the tissue technique someone on here mentioned and I think it helped some as far as applying more pressure for a better press. My hair was swangin and bangin and when I stepped in that church, people thought I got it professionally done! And the shine, the natural shine and softness was just amazing!!! I applied NO PRODUCT for this to happen. It had body, shine, movement and a great color! And days later after much rain here in Houston, it is still straight! I haven't used heat since Saturday. I wrap my hair at night and undo my scarf at work. People think I have a perm.

But since I have been applying my MTG, it has that thin flat look that I hate!! But it is very straight, my texturized part and my newgrowth. Still very straight!!!

Okay sorry for the long post but you know how it is when you finally nail a hairstyle or technique you just have to share it with the world!!

asubeauty said:

TIA for any responses.

Using heat once a week isnt too much, just as long as you use a good heat protectant your hair should be fine. Again do what works best for your hair!

FeelinIt said:
I complained to a stylist that I could never get my presses straight. They were always puffy. I told her that I've used pressing cremes and waxes and serums and all kinds of stuff. She told me that all of that stuff wieghs the hair down. I went to go and get an old school press and the lady washed, conditioned, dryed, rubbed something in my hair that was light (I don't know) then pressed. I looked like I just got a perm. Then I realized why I stopped perming in the first place. My hair although when natural looks thick is thin when straigtened out. I think less is more. I pressed my own hair this past Saturday. MY BEST PRESS EVER!!!

I washed my hair, applied a sabastian's colourshine, rinsed some of it out with cold water, went to the kitchen and cracked open an egg, pour in some olive oil and some left over conditioner, mixed and slapped that on my hair. I left that on overnight tied up tight, ( it drips something serious), woke up, rinsed with cold water, towled dry....and my hair felt soooooo soft. I usually air dry but did not have the time so I dusted off my blow dryer. My hair felt like silk after blow drying. I gathered my pressing supplies, sat by the kitchen stove and got to pressing. I even used the tissue technique someone on here mentioned and I think it helped some as far as applying more pressure for a better press. My hair was swangin and bangin and when I stepped in that church, people thought I got it professionally done! And the shine, the natural shine and softness was just amazing!!! I applied NO PRODUCT for this to happen. It had body, shine, movement and a great color! And days later after much rain here in Houston, it is still straight! I haven't used heat since Saturday. I wrap my hair at night and undo my scarf at work. People think I have a perm.

But since I have been applying my MTG, it has that thin flat look that I hate!! But it is very straight, my texturized part and my newgrowth. Still very straight!!!

Okay sorry for the long post but you know how it is when you finally nail a hairstyle or technique you just have to share it with the world!!

Don't apologize for being happy about getting a technique right!!! (I know that when I get something right, I'm gonna be on LHCF with a thread and pics!! :lol: ) Do you think that this will work for relaxed hair with a flatiron??

One quick comment guys. I do agree with the "do what works for you" philosophy, hoeve ri do that that sometimes your hair will take the heat and the manipulation along with the "no moisture" really well but over it dries up, breaks off and do all the things that we ladies are trying to avoid like a plauge. You know what I mean? its like, i can eat 2 Big Macs, Large fries, and Drink a large cok, for lunch and dinner one day and feel GREAT!!, But if i do it for a whole week,.... maybe even longer, I'm gonna gain wieght like crazy. So I guess, i would reccomend to "break the rules" once in a blue moon. :)

Prettyinpink00 said:
One quick comment guys. I do agree with the "do what works for you" philosophy, hoeve ri do that that sometimes your hair will take the heat and the manipulation along with the "no moisture" really well but over it dries up, breaks off and do all the things that we ladies are trying to avoid like a plauge. You know what I mean? its like, i can eat 2 Big Macs, Large fries, and Drink a large cok, for lunch and dinner one day and feel GREAT!!, But if i do it for a whole week,.... maybe even longer, I'm gonna gain wieght like crazy. So I guess, i would reccomend to "break the rules" once in a blue moon. :)
I totally AGREE!!! :up: also, Still try to be carefull with the heat usage. I would hate for you to sabotage all your hard work!

Back