My Hair Journey (Long)

gbaby

I have been lurking for about a month. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE! I spend every chance I get at work on it. I have learned so many things I did not know about hair since I always went to the salon. You guys are DA BOMB!:)

My hair is I would have to say 4a and has for the majority of my life has been at bra strap length. Except for the times when I was hard headed and put chemicals in it. What a disaster that always turned out to be. The worst and my last chemical nightmare was in 1994 I tried a product called “Rio Natural Hair Relaxer”. It relaxed my hair right off my head and burned my scalp. I finally learned my lesson.:(

I wore braids for 2 ½ years to grow my hair back and have not applied a chemical since. I have been pressing my hair for the last 10 years. I would wrap my hair every night or else it would be stiff in the morning. Since I live in the High Desert of California it gets extremely hot and I began having to run a hot comb through my hair every morning. I did not like doing this so I decided after researching on the internet to go “natural” this summer.

I ran across the Miss Jessie’s website and became intrigued with her products. I promptly ordered the Curly Pudding and the Buttercreme. The first time I used I the pudding I tried the shingle method. It gave me satisfactory results but my hair was not exactly like I wanted it to be. The second week I deep conditioned my hair with cholesterol conditioner under a heat cap and used more pudding than the first time and I just combed through my hair and did not shingle. I liked the results better. But I still have not gained complete satisfaction and the stuff is soooo pricey.

I just ordered the BBD Glass and Stretch. the verdict is still out on these products. I am still in the experimental stage of finding what my hair responds to best. You guys have given me some very helpful information on how to handle my natural hair (too much info:grin:) . I am now a bonafide PJ. I love being “natural” and with any luck it will love me back and become super healthy and grow past my bra strap (finally). I am trying to reach waist length.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board! :)

I vaguely remember Rio hair products (didn't they advertise on an infomercial?) So that stuff really did make your hair fall out? Yikes! :eek:

Welcome....

Mannnnn...you tried the Rio. I remember Debbie Allen and her daughter in those infomercials.....

Denim And Leather said:
Welcome to the board! :)

I vaguely remember Rio hair products (didn't they advertise on an infomercial?) So that stuff really did make your hair fall out? Yikes! :eek:

Yes it was on an infomercial, and I fell for it. It was terrible. Not only did my hair fall out but I had a bald spot the size of a half dollar in the top of my head. I was in a class action law suit and after all the suffering I received $120. The lawyers got paid!

gbaby said:
Yes it was on an infomercial, and I fell for it. It was terrible. I was in a class action law and after all the suffering I received $120. The lawyers got paid!

That stinks! :mad: All that emotional trauma you went through, and that's all you got?! *shakes head*

I'm sorry that you went through that, and am glad that your hair grew back, and that you found this board. There's so much good info on here! :yep:

Yes the info on this site has been like gold to me. I never thought I could handle my natural hair on my own. I was wrong. All it takes is a little help from people like you guys to share tips and info.:look:

Back