My Hair journey in Japan (Newbie)

yoleee

I am new to LHCF although I have been lurking for a little while. I guess I need to give a little background. I have had APL, BSL hair my entire adult life. I never touched my hair at home and always had amazing stylist.Almost 3 years ago my husband calls me at work to tell me we are moving to Japan. After I stopped crying, my first question was what about my hair? LOL. When we arrived here, I noticed none of the black ladies had hair past NL. They all kept saying, your hair is beautiful.... you just got here didnt you? My first visit to the very nice Japanese lady who does hair on base she said, I never seen hair so nice, I hope its still nice when you leave(as she is putting relaxer on). Fast foward 2 years later my hair is dry, crunchy, and breaking like crazy. I decide to get a sew in. I keep it in 3 months and washed once a week. When I got ready to take it out I ask the lady who did it(kitchen stylist) what to do. She said take it down, dont comb it and come get your relaxer(the same day). I cried as I left her house with hair so thin I could touch my scalp at barley SL. I came home that day and found LHCF and have been addicted. I have not had a relaxer since that one 8 weeks ago. My question is how do you ladies stretch for long periods? We move back to the states in July and I would love to stretch until right before we leave. Sorry this so long, you needed all the info.

Welcome yolee :wave: A lot of us have hair horror stories but you know what? We stay the course and grow our hair back better and healthier than ever.

I'm natchal and haven't been relaxed or texlaxed in while but when i was texlaxed i transitioned for over a year. Cowashing (conditioner washing) has been a godsend since day one of my journey here. Also easing up on the heat, deep conditioning (when i'm not lazy) and learning what MY hair likes.

I'm sure some relaxed heads will be by soon to give you insight but in the meantime here's a link to stretching:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=356989&highlight=stretching

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=396048&highlight=stretching

Good luck :)

HELLO,

I live in Japan too! I BC'ed a month ago, but before then I would stretch my relaxers, one every six months. Before LCHF I used to deep condition once a week with Olive oil and ORS replenishing pak and my edges were fine. If they were unruly I would flat iron them using the lowest setting, about 120c. I air dryed me hair partially and then used the Japanese blower dryer that looks like a brush. It has three settings hot, set, and cool. I usually used cool on the length of my hair and set on my roots. Then I sealed with Tsubaki oil, you can find this in any drugstore in Japan. I hope this helps.

Good Luck

DC and co wash as often as you can being sure to balance your use of protein and moisture products. I'm relaxed and cowash daily and do a dry DC about 3-5 times a week before I cowash or shampoo wash. Hope that helps:grin:

Welcome! I moved to Kazakhstan a year ago, so I can relate to your story. Since joining LHCF, I have gone from relaxing every 6 weeks or so (and struggling to wait 6 weeks :lol:) to stretching for 6-7 months at a time.

Here are the main things that have contributed to my ability to do long stretches:

- Taking MSM and silica, which made my hair grow in stronger, softer, better able to retain moisture, and a bit more loosely-textured;

- Pre-pooing my hair with coconut oil;

- Oil-rinsing with jojoba oil;

- Detangling in the shower with a Ouidad Double Detangler comb with Silicon Mix (or another slippery conditioner) in my hair;

- Using aloe vera juice and a bit of Silicon Mix (or other slippery conditioner) as a leave-in after washing and conditioning;

- Argan oil, argan oil, and argan oil! This has changed my hair. I used to be a bit of a skeptic about different oils, but argan oil has completely changed my mind.

- Rollersetting (I air-dry); and

- Twice weekly washes at an absolute minimum, which keeps my hair and scalp moist, clean, conditioned, and healthy. Plus I workout 7 days a week, and I can't stand the feeling of dirty hair.

I would say the key to stretching is keeping your hair (especially the new growth)moisturized. You can accomplish that with co-washing, dc at least 1x/week and moisturizng n sealing. Make sure to get the new growth moisturized to avoid breakage where your natural and relaxed hair meet. I would also say to avoid too much manipulation. When I'm stretching, I tend to lose a lot of hair when I try to comb through my new growth or if I do too much combing period. Lots of moisture and protective styling is what carries me through stretching. HTH.

Oh and btw....

:welcome3::yay::yay::yay:

Thanks for the replies. I am 8 weeks post and I have only been washing once a week. This is the first week I notice an unusual amount of breakage. I DC'd with silicon mix and coconut oil(my first time using both). My hair was like WTH is this? I couldn't even comb through it. Any DC suggestions would be great. This is what I currently have in my stash.

Shampoo
Aphogee Deep moisture
Nexxus Therappee
Redken Cleansing cream

Conditioner
Joico Kpak Intense hydrator
Joico Moisture recovery balm
Aussie 3 min miracle (havent used it yet)
NTM Daily deep conditioner
Aphogee 2 minute rec

Oils
Coconut oil
JBCO
I know I have great products I am just not sure how to use them together.

Try a good clarifying shampoo and do the DC again. Sometimes you have to get all the bad "stuff" off of your hair for the good stuff to work.

I absolutely agree with curlicarib. Whenever I have dry hair no matter what I put on it and a cowash can't fix it and its hard to detangle I know for sure I need to clarify and do a long moisture DC.

ETA: As of lately I always suggest the same conditioners to try in every thread I mention conditioner in. Elucence Moisture Balance (I leave this in), My Honey Child Olive You, and Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm.

Last edited:
The Redken is a chelating shampoo. How often should I use it? I used it 2 weeks ago. The water here is terrible. I have been eyeing the Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm for a couple weeks. Every time I order something new for my hair my husband looks at me sideways. I hate that all package come to his job.

When I was stationed in Guam, I had to clarify with every shampoo - the water was TERRIBLE. I haven't been to Japan, but if the water is half as bad as Guam, you may have to clarify every 1 - 2 weeks.

op, can you get a shower filter? maybe that would help. i use one from multipure. or maybe you could look into a water softner. everybody is giving you great advice so i don't have much to add.

Thanks for all the advice. I know its a work in progress. I am just trying to get it back to where it was when we got here. I cant wait to get back stateside.

Back