My hair is "Growing Like Weeds"

My hair is "growing like weeds" means:

• The hair grows thick.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • The hair grows long.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • The hair grows both thick and long.

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • I would not use the term "My hair grows like weeds".

Votes: 47 31.5%

• Total voters

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I see this phrase used quite a bit: "My hair is "Growing Like Weeds"

In my limited garden experience weeds randomly sprout up in patches. So I'd think that if somebody says 'my hair grows like weeds' they are referencing thickness, but I notice the context seems to imply length.

Do YOU use this phrase? If so, what does it mean to you? Is it length, thickness, or both?

Although I don't use the phrase, I would take it to imply length or how quickly it is growing.....I think "weeds" are referenced because they seem to just sprout up over night.

I always thought it mean't length because weeds grow faster than grass etc.
When you try to cut down weeds they always seem to grow so much even though they probably don't...but the expression is even used with kids
ie: "that baby is growing like a weed!!!" :)

Have you ever noticed that sometimes you have the grass cut and looking nice on Saturday, but on Sunday afternoon there are weeds and wildflowers showing that are almost a foot high? (Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.) That's where I thought it came from.

When I use that phrase, I mean it's growing really fast in length, not thickness.

Last edited:
I don't use this phrase but when I hear people say it, they mean in terms of length and so that's what I think it means too.

foxy kc said:
Although I don't use the phrase, I would take it to imply length or how quickly it is growing.....I think "weeds" are referenced because they seem to just sprout up over night.
Exactly what i think.

I would not use the term "My hair grows like weeds".

Like others started it means the hair is growing long, super fast.------->
Hair_grows.gif
Maybe a growth spurt.

Last edited:
I would like for people to clarify what they are saying when they use that term so that we are clear on what they mean. I always thought they meant it was just growing so fast all over. Could have misinterpreted this though. bonjour

I don't use the term, but I take it to mean length. Kinda like when someone describes a kid as growing up like a weed. It usually means they are getting taller - really fast - not that they are gaining circumference.

I've never heard the term "growing like weeds." I've heard and said "growing like a weed." It applies to anything fast growing. Although I've heard that phrase used here, I've heard it most when describing kids growing.

Back