My hair is dry even when it's wet!(Have pics)Need some help!

deusa80

Ok this may be a little long and hopefully I'll give all the info I need to get suggestions.

I've only been on the board for about 2 months and in that time I've learned A Lot! Before I really wasn't taking care of my hair(mainly from lack of knowledge).
I would wash, blow dry and flat iron my hair every week, never use a heat protectant, I didn't DC on a regular basis, I used to get a relaxer every 4 to 5 weeks, didn't moisturize my hair daily...I could go on and on and list the things I was doing wrong!
I always wondered why my hair would never get very long even though it kept on growing...I could never retain length.

Anyway, since I've been here I've become a serious PJ...trying to find something that will help with the breakage and lack of moisture I have. From the pics I've seen most of the ladies hair on here are pretty "wet" after it's been washed...but mine is practically completely dry!:nono: I've attached some pics to show what I mean... they were taken not even 5 minutes after I washed the conditioner out of my hair...

I know my hair is like this because I failed to really take care of it over the years...but is there anything I can do to help the breakage and lack of moisture problem? Or do I just need to start over and focus on my roots...maybe the rest of my hair is a lost cause:sad:

I've kinda cut out shampoo unless it's for clarifying...I co-wash twice a week, DC at least once a week...I'm just figuring out the differences between protein and moisturizing conditioners. Sometimes I use protein, but I've been following up with a moisturizing DC if I do. I am also moisturizing and sealing daily. I do want to add that since I've been doing this my hair hasn't been AS brittle and dry when it's wet like it used to be..but it's still pretty bad.

So does anyone have any suggestions!? I'd be grateful for any info or suggestions...

TIA!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 108
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 97
Hi Sweetie,
It sounds like you may have some serious cuticle damage. The cuticle being the outer layer of the hair strand. They should be lying flat to allow the hair to hold moisture in. But if they are up the hair is unable to hold moisture properly. Hope I explained that correctly. Have you ever used a porosity control treatment?

You said that since you started your new reggie your hair is getting better. Maybe you should just keep doing what your doing. It sounds like it's working. Be patient. Im new here too, so I know it's hard to be patient.

Maybe a protein treatment will help. Like emergencee. Protein allows your hair to hold moisture. You will notice you don't need to use a ton of moisture for your hair to absorb it.

I agree with the poster saying that it might be the cuticles of your hair having a problem. Personally, my hair was dry when wet too, meaning that only 5mins after getting out of the shower my hair would be 75% dry. I did some research and found that my hair porosity was too high, did an acv rinse and it helped!

Sista slick has articles explaining this with some solutions. HTH.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged_pg3.html?cat=69

I agree with the poster saying that it might be the cuticles of your hair having a problem. Personally, my hair was dry when wet too, meaning that only 5mins after getting out of the shower my hair would be 75% dry. I did some research and found that my hair porosity was too high, did an acv rinse and it helped!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged_pg3.html?cat=69
GOOD INFO THANKS

As time goes on you will notice great improvement in your hair if you continue to care for it properly.:yep:

As to your specific request for help right now, I would suggest researching "porosity" threads because your symptoms indicate that you may have a porosity issue. I can tell you that you are definitely in the right place for some great advice.

Keep bumping your thread, if you don't seem to get a lot of responses, since older threads get pushed further and further down and a lot of people may not see it.

Welcome and happy hair growing!:yep:

Last edited:
When you talk about shampoo and clarifying ... are you using a clarifying shampoo?

Yes, today was the 2nd time I used a clarifying shampoo....I read in a thread that using a clarifying shampoo may help some products work better, so that's why I gave it a try.

Hi Sweetie,
It sounds like you may have some serious cuticle damage. The cuticle being the outer layer of the hair strand. They should be lying flat to allow the hair to hold moisture in. But if they are up the hair is unable to hold moisture properly. Hope I explained that correctly. Have you ever used a porosity control treatment?

Thanks for that explanation, I will definitely look into that!

You said that since you started your new reggie your hair is getting better. Maybe you should just keep doing what your doing. It sounds like it's working. Be patient. Im new here too, so I know it's hard to be patient.

Yes, sometimes being patient is the hard part! Sometimes I feel I might be using the wrong products, or just missing out on the products or methods I really need...but again, it's all a matter of patience:grin:

Thanks very much for this... Have you seen a big improvement from the acv rinses? How often do you do them? I'll be sure to take a look at those articles and read some more threads on the acv rinses and porosity issues.

Hi Sweetie,

I agree.

You are going to have to rebuild your hair to help correct your porosity issues.

You need to do consistent and frequent protein treatments to help get your cuticle back in order. Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step, Dudleys DRC, Joico reconstructor, Paul Mitchell Superstrong treatment etc.. All of these would be great places for you to start.

Until you rebuild your cuticle and get your protein levels back up, your hair isn't going to hold moisture.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread. I think this is the problem my daughter's hair is having. Her hair dries so quickly even in the winter. I washed her hair this morning and it was completely dry in 30 minutes just from being exposed to the air.

Her hair feels hard and it keeps breaking off in 2 inch pieces. I'm going to try the acv rinses to see if that will help.

But I'm wondering, how often should you use a reconstructor? Once a week, twice a month, to combat the problem?

First off, Welcome!

Second, thanks for posting this topic, as I have learned a lot from it, and I've been on here for years!

Please do come back and let us know what you did to fix the problem and what results you got as well. :yep:

I agree.

You are going to have to rebuild your hair to help correct your porosity issues.

You need to do consistent and frequent protein treatments to help get your cuticle back in order. Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step, Dudleys DRC, Joico reconstructor, Paul Mitchell Superstrong treatment etc.. All of these would be great places for you to start.

Until you rebuild your cuticle and get your protein levels back up, your hair isn't going to hold moisture.

So should I continue to follow with a moisturizing conditioner after the protein treatments? I have tried the Aphogee 2 step before but I will look into some others. Since I wash twice a week, maybe one day could be a heavy protein(like the 2 step) and the other a milder protein?

Patricia said it beautifully. Protein is what you need. I would also try a Roux Porosity Control as well. I was having the same problem. I would wet my hair and 30-45 min later it was bone dry.

I started uping my protein treatments and Porosity Control and my hair is thankfully back to normal.

First off, Welcome!

Second, thanks for posting this topic, as I have learned a lot from it, and I've been on here for years!

Please do come back and let us know what you did to fix the problem and what results you got as well. :yep:

Thank you! I will post an update once I figure this out. Seems like it's gonna take a while...but hopefully the next time I post pics my hair will look a lot better:grin:

So should I continue to follow with a moisturizing conditioner after the protein treatments? I have tried the Aphogee 2 step before but I will look into some others. Since I wash twice a week, maybe one day could be a heavy protein(like the 2 step) and the other a milder protein?

Yeah. I would do a heavy one every 4-5 weeks following with a moisture treatment. I don't think you need the heavy and the mild in the same week.

You also might want to do a search for Tracys color bootcamp. Her regime is great not only for color treated hair but for getting damaged hair back in shape. Her advice might be useful for you. I was in your position last year. It isn't hopeless but with some consistency and effort, you can get your hair back where you want it to be. Good luck

I just looked through your products in your fotki and noticed that most, if not all of the products you are using now are protein-based, including the profectiv moisturizer. Is that album still accurate or are you using other products? What are you co-washing with? What are you deep conditioning with?

My suggestion would actually be to back off of the protein and go hardcore on moisture for a while. Replace your moisturizer with ORS Lotion (for one, because I see you like ORS products, and for two, because I think it's awesome), I dunno what you're co-washing with now so I can't tell you if that's protein or not, but personally I co-wash with Aussie Moist and love it, and try to find an all-moisture deep conditioner. Some favorites on this board are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (my personal favorite), Pantene Relaxed & Natural Deep Conditioning Mask, Hairveda Sitrinillah Conditioning Masque, etc. Whatever you decide on, make sure it doesn't have the words protein, keratin, or collagen on the ingredient list, and make sure the directions on the back instruct you to leave it on for 15 minutes or more.

ALSO, one thing that REALLY turned my dry hair around was adding peppermint and rosemary essential oils to my deep conditioners, applying them to my scalp and the rest of my hair, and deep conditioning with heat for at least 45 minutes.

I'm not trying to go against what some of the more experienced ladies here are telling you, you could very well have an issue with porosity, but from looking at your product album I think you've got the protein thing on lock. If I were in your situation, I would do this for a few washes and see whether your hair improves or not:

1. Co-wash with Aussie Moist (I also hear Tresemme Remoisturize is very good)
2. Apply LIGHT protein, like your 2-minute reconstructor for one minute or less. Protein is good, we just want you to see what your hair will do when it is minimized
3. Deep condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or, if you can't get your hands on any of that, Pantene Relaxed & Natural Mask mixed with about 5-10 drops each of peppermint and rosemary oils, sit under hooded dryer or wrap warm towel around your head and wait for 1 hour
4. Rinse conditioner out
5. Do a final ACV rinse. Make sure you dilute it pretty heavily, your hair may feel weird if you use too much. I'd say about a tablespoon to a gallon of water, but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't done one in a while :perplexed:
6. Apply your cantu shea leave-in, then seal with an oil of your choice. Castor oil is good, but may be too heavy in combination with Cantu Shea. It's up to you. Just make sure you seal.
7. If you can rollerset, do one and let it airdry. If not, do a braidout, or bun and airdry. Just don't let your ends hang loose during the airdry. (Yes the airdry is mandatory lol.)
8. Until your next wash, moisturize daily with ORS Lotion and seal with an oil of your choice. Maybe Kemi oil? I've never tried that one, I don't know its consistency. The castor oil is also good to put on your ends.
9. Check back in and tell us how everything works out! :bighug:

I definitely agree with getting your hair's porosity under control.

You may want to switch up some of your products as Prose suggested, but I think your porosity level is the main issue. If you choose to go the hard protein route, you may want to use Roux Porosity Control mixed in with your moisture DC every other week or so. BTW, I also use it as a final rinse after EVERY wash if I don't mix it in with my DC :yep:

Good luck to you!

My hair was just like this about 6 months ago. I did an Aphogee 2 step protein treatment, followed by a moisturizing deep conditioning for the first week. Each week thereafter I used light protein until I noticed an improvement.
Believe me, after a little TLC....it'll get much better.

My hair use to look like that when wet when I use to perm with no-lye I was overprocessed because I use to touch up every 5-6 weeks years ago.

Are you drinking enough water? If you are dehydrated, your hair will be dry also. Hair needs protein and moisture inside and outside.

I just looked through your products in your fotki and noticed that most, if not all of the products you are using now are protein-based, including the profectiv moisturizer. Is that album still accurate or are you using other products? What are you co-washing with? What are you deep conditioning with?

My suggestion would actually be to back off of the protein and go hardcore on moisture for a while. Replace your moisturizer with ORS Lotion (for one, because I see you like ORS products, and for two, because I think it's awesome), I dunno what you're co-washing with now so I can't tell you if that's protein or not, but personally I co-wash with Aussie Moist and love it, and try to find an all-moisture deep conditioner. Some favorites on this board are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (my personal favorite), Pantene Relaxed & Natural Deep Conditioning Mask, Hairveda Sitrinillah Conditioning Masque, etc. Whatever you decide on, make sure it doesn't have the words protein, keratin, or collagen on the ingredient list, and make sure the directions on the back instruct you to leave it on for 15 minutes or more.

ALSO, one thing that REALLY turned my dry hair around was adding peppermint and rosemary essential oils to my deep conditioners, applying them to my scalp and the rest of my hair, and deep conditioning with heat for at least 45 minutes.

I'm not trying to go against what some of the more experienced ladies here are telling you, you could very well have an issue with porosity, but from looking at your product album I think you've got the protein thing on lock. If I were in your situation, I would do this for a few washes and see whether your hair improves or not:

1. Co-wash with Aussie Moist (I also hear Tresemme Remoisturize is very good)
2. Apply LIGHT protein, like your 2-minute reconstructor for one minute or less. Protein is good, we just want you to see what your hair will do when it is minimized
3. Deep condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or, if you can't get your hands on any of that, Pantene Relaxed & Natural Mask mixed with about 5-10 drops each of peppermint and rosemary oils, sit under hooded dryer or wrap warm towel around your head and wait for 1 hour
4. Rinse conditioner out
5. Do a final ACV rinse. Make sure you dilute it pretty heavily, your hair may feel weird if you use too much. I'd say about a tablespoon to a gallon of water, but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't done one in a while :perplexed:
6. Apply your cantu shea leave-in, then seal with an oil of your choice. Castor oil is good, but may be too heavy in combination with Cantu Shea. It's up to you. Just make sure you seal.
7. If you can rollerset, do one and let it airdry. If not, do a braidout, or bun and airdry. Just don't let your ends hang loose during the airdry. (Yes the airdry is mandatory lol.)
8. Until your next wash, moisturize daily with ORS Lotion and seal with an oil of your choice. Maybe Kemi oil? I've never tried that one, I don't know its consistency. The castor oil is also good to put on your ends.
9. Check back in and tell us how everything works out! :bighug:

Thanks!!! :grin: My fotki isn't completely up to date...I'm gonna have to do that this week. But for the most part I'm co-washing with conditioners like suave and v05, the cheapie stuff. I usually DC with cholesterol or ORS conditoner(but these are protein based, right?). I have silicon mix(protein), but I've only used that once so far. I've bought a few new ones that I haven't used yet... like Yes to Carrots and an avocado DC from shescent it...but I haven't had a chance to test those out yet.

As far as moisturizing I've been using profectiv and profectiv healthy ends for the past 2 or 3 weeks..and on some days I use ORS moisturizing. I've been sealing w/ castor oil, or a mix of evoo, castor and kemy oil and sometimes my WGO. I haven't used the Cantu leave in for a little while.

I'm actually gonna head to sally's tonight and get the aphoghee 2 step, some porosity control conditioner, and maybe the aphoghee 2 minute.

Are you drinking enough water? If you are dehydrated, your hair will be dry also. Hair needs protein and moisture inside and outside.

That's probably another issue...I wasn't drinking a whole lot in general...let alone water:ohwell: But I've started to increase my water intake so hopefully that will help!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments! I really appreciate it. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one with this problem...and even happier to know that my hair can be improved:grin:. I know it will take some time though...but I'll be sure to update as time goes along.

Thanks!!! :grin: My fotki isn't completely up to date...I'm gonna have to do that this week. But for the most part I'm co-washing with conditioners like suave and v05, the cheapie stuff. I usually DC with cholesterol or ORS conditoner(but these are protein based, right?). I have silicon mix(protein), but I've only used that once so far. I've bought a few new ones that I haven't used yet... like Yes to Carrots and an avocado DC from shescent it...but I haven't had a chance to test those out yet.

As far as moisturizing I've been using profectiv and profectiv healthy ends for the past 2 or 3 weeks..and on some days I use ORS moisturizing. I've been sealing w/ castor oil, or a mix of evoo, castor and kemy oil and sometimes my WGO. I haven't used the Cantu leave in for a little while.

I'm actually gonna head to sally's tonight and get the aphoghee 2 step, some porosity control conditioner, and maybe the aphoghee 2 minute.
Subscribing, I want to know how it works for you

Back