My hair is dry after I wake up...

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Ok, I have been natural for 9 months now...after much struggling with my hair, I am finally starting to get rid of products that just don't do it for me...however, I have run into somewhat of a problem...

For the summer, I have been using water/glycerin or aloe juice/glycerin as my hair refresher and it makes my hair SO soft...until I go to sleep and wake up the next morning. It's like someone comes in my room and sucks all of the moisture from my hair as I sleep! I sleep in a sleeping cap, although now that I think about it, it is not one of those true "satin" caps. Could that be the issue? The cap I have is one of those Stay On Satin Nites Bonnets from Walmart, which is not really satin at all. Of course, dry hair leads to single strand knots, which may affect the progress I am trying to make.

How can I fix this? What am I doing wrong? :perplexed:sad:
moz-screenshot-1.png

I recommend a creamier moisturizer, like Giovanni direct leave in...

are you sealing your hair???

instead of sleeping in a bonnet straight, stretch your hair up a lil bit (mini pineapple) with a few scrunches...so it wouldn't shrink up and cause strands to tangle upon itself... also when hair is stretched out it takes moisture better...

Do you deep condition?

I recommend a creamier moisturizer, like Giovanni direct leave in...

are you sealing your hair???

instead of sleeping in a bonnet straight, stretch your hair up a lil bit (mini pineapple) with a few scrunches...so it wouldn't shrink up and cause strands to tangle upon itself... also when hair is stretched out it takes moisture better...

Do you deep condition?

My hair doesn't like Giovanni Direct Leave In--I've tried it. I admit, I'm guilty of not sealing my hair--perhaps this would make the difference. I was thinking I probably need to re-vamp my night time routine. I tried the pineapple method with satin scrunchies and my hair still gets dry. That's why I'm wondering if its the bonnet that's the culprit... I was also wondering if I should moisturize twice daily instead of just once. I deep condition once weekly with Silk Elements Megasilk and Aussie 3 min mixed with an oil.

You hair is beautiful! :yep:

Moisturize right before you go to sleep. Also twist or braid it to keep it from getting compact again.

Definitely get an actual satin cap if you can. Silk is a good option too. You could also try silk or satin pillowcases.

Might even want to try turning down the AC at night, if that's a factor. In the winter turn down the heat and use a humidifier.

My hair doesn't like Giovanni Direct Leave In--I've tried it. I admit, I'm guilty of not sealing my hair--perhaps this would make the difference. I was thinking I probably need to re-vamp my night time routine. I tried the pineapple method with satin scrunchies and my hair still gets dry. That's why I'm wondering if its the bonnet that's the culprit... I was also wondering if I should moisturize twice daily instead of just once. I deep condition once weekly with Silk Elements Megasilk and Aussie 3 min mixed with an oil.

You hair is beautiful! :yep:

thank you hun...

and I wow I forgot to ask if you moisturize twice...yea you probably should do that, like right before you go to bed...

Question, how does your hair feel after your DC? how long does it stay moisturized for?

I ask because its sounding like either you need to find something that moisturizes better and porosity...

You're sleeping in the wrong type of cap. You need to sleep in a plastic cap aka a "baggy".

I don't use any moisturizer and I sleep in a cap every night and my hair is very soft and not dry at all. When I do use S Curl (a glycerin product), I still sleep in a plastic cap or Saran wrap and I don't need to add moisturizer to my hair from day to day but can wait until after I wash it.

You need to read this.

thank you hun...

and I wow I forgot to ask if you moisturize twice...yea you probably should do that, like right before you go to bed...

Question, how does your hair feel after your DC? how long does it stay moisturized for?

I ask because its sounding like either you need to find something that moisturizes better and porosity...

My hair feels wonderful immediately after Dcing...but I put so much stuff in my hair afterwards...I can't really assess the affects that the DC has on my hair over a period of days...perhaps my porosity is off, as I don't do this regularly either :look:

You're sleeping in the wrong type of cap. You need to sleep in a plastic cap aka a "baggy".

I don't use any moisturizer and I sleep in a cap every night and my hair is very soft and not dry at all. When I do use S Curl (a glycerin product), I still sleep in a plastic cap or Saran wrap and I don't need to add moisturizer to my hair from day to day but can wait until after I wash it.

You need to read this.

Thanks, I'm going to read from start to finish! Sorry, I should have looked this up...

I love castor oil... I think I will try a combo of everyone's suggestions and report back tomorrow!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide

If you don't have a substitute cap for tonight, you can turn your current cap inside out. I find that the cap you described using is much silkier on the outside than on the inside.

i cant do the glycerin thing when it's hot. it actually makes my hair feel ever drier. i like hair milks or lotions. and dont use too much at one time, i use one maybe two things to style my hair with.

Reporting Back: Ok, everyone. I used a combo of everyone's suggestions for my nighttime routine. I moisturized with my aloe/glycerin mix and sealed with castor oil...used a baggy and put my bonnet on top...went to sleep (lol)

And when I woke up....

MY HAIR FELT GREAT! I really think it was something about that bonnet that soaked up my moisture. But I know that the extra care at night plus the sealing really helped too. I really appreciate everyone's input..

What is everyone putting on their hair after DCing in the summer months?

Reporting Back: Ok, everyone. I used a combo of everyone's suggestions for my nighttime routine. I moisturized with my aloe/glycerin mix and sealed with castor oil...used a baggy and put my bonnet on top...went to sleep (lol)

And when I woke up....

MY HAIR FELT GREAT! I really think it was something about that bonnet that soaked up my moisture. But I know that the extra care at night plus the sealing really helped too. I really appreciate everyone's input..

Are you talking about styling products? If so, I've been using Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade, but I'll be using Barry Fletcher's Twist Like This Herbal Putty until the end of July.

Yesterday I DC with Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter, and it felt nice. Afterwards I sprayed my hair with avj+glycerin, applied Aussie Moist conditioner (wash out kind) and sealed with castor oil. I slept with a plastic cap, which I only do 3x weekly (otherwise I use satin bonnet/scarf). My hair is still very moist this morning.

OP, i have that same problem too. a lot has to do with my cap soaking up the moisture. i would suggest trying Nonie's method tonight, until you can get your hands on a real satin cap. i think i will have my mother make me one. since i don't know where i could find one in the stores.

btw, with the baggy method, make sure to be cautious about over moisturizing your hair. you don't want to get mushy hair.(easily prone to breakage) i would baggy for a few hours before you go to bed and the seal.

Last edited:
OP, i have that same problem too. a lot has to do with my cap soaking up the moisture. i would suggest trying Nonie's method tonight, until you can get your hands on a real satin cap. i think i will have my mother make me one. since i don't know where i could find one in the stores.

btw, with the baggy method, make sure to be cautious about over moisturizing your hair. you don't want to get mushy hair.(easily prone to breakage) i would baggy for a few hours before you go to bed and the seal.

I really want to search for the real deal. I am definitely going to watch my hair closely. I think sometimes I just get sooo tired from my day to day activities that I start to neglect my hair. Not good if I'm trying to get to a goal.

Great! OP I'm glad the combo of techniques ppl suggested worked for you! I was thinking it was the bonnet too...and its likely the one you have is made of polyester, not actual satin! I have one I snagged from Wmart yrs ago and it is great...has a smooth band (no elastic to break hair or edges). I can't find another like it to save my life so I take very good care of the one I have. I use satin scarves cuz I can't sleep w. my hair "out" unless it is styled in curls or has been previously set on rollers.

As for my after DC routine in summer: after I rinse my DC, I apply a cheapie cond. and then rinse again. Then I do a cold water rinse. Squeeze out water w. hands. Apply more cheapie moisturizing cond. Apply plastic cap and towel. Let the steam work while I dry off, apply lotion, etc (usually anywhere from 10-40 mins if I get sidetracked).

Then I take off the cap, pat dry lightly if its dripping (I mean it gets HOT n steamy under that cap). Apply hair milk, apply shea butter creme, seal all hair w. oil. I also usually apply a serum last to combat frizz, dryness, and give light shine. I style my hair usually in a wet bun or twist it up w. a clip. Maybe a lil aloe vera gel/EcoStyler on the edges cuz they curl up. I immediately put my satin scarf on after my hair is in place so the hair air dries flat and the waves are defined and not frizzy!

Not too much product but this adding the plastic cap after I wash has helped a lot. Essentially, I leave conditioner in my hair; I got that tip from Celina Starr (JupiterMoonStar on Fotki, TBL natural hair), who has uber pretty long hair (similar texture to mine), and whose regimen is very simple--I use a similar regimen. Sorry so long, hth!

Last edited:
Great! OP I'm glad the combo of techniques ppl suggested worked for you! I was thinking it was the bonnet too...and its likely the one you have is made of polyester, not actual satin! I have one I snagged from Wmart yrs ago and it is great...has a smooth band (no elastic to break hair or edges). I can't find another like it to save my life so I take very good care of the one I have. I use satin scarves cuz I can't sleep w. my hair "out" unless it is styled in curls or has been previously set on rollers.

As for my after DC routine in summer: after I rinse my DC, I apply a cheapie cond. and then rinse again. Then I do a cold water rinse. Squeeze out water w. hands. Apply more cheapie moisturizing cond. Apply plastic cap and towel. Let the steam work while I dry off, apply lotion, etc (usually anywhere from 10-40 mins if I get sidetracked).

Then I take off the cap, pat dry lightly if its dripping (I mean it gets HOT n steamy under that cap). Apply hair milk, apply shea butter creme, seal all hair w. oil. I also usually apply a serum last to combat frizz, dryness, and give light shine. I style my hair usually in a wet bun or twist it up w. a clip. Maybe a lil aloe vera gel/EcoStyler on the edges cuz they curl up. I immediately put my satin scarf on after my hair is in place so the hair air dries flat and the waves are defined and not frizzy!

Not too much product but this adding the plastic cap after I wash has helped a lot. Essentially, I leave conditioner in my hair; I got that tip from Celina Starr (JupiterMoonStar on Fotki, TBL natural hair), who has uber pretty long hair (similar texture to mine), and whose regimen is very simple--I use a similar regimen. Sorry so long, hth!

Today, I purchased a silk bonnet from tenderheaded.com. From the description, it is supposed to be made from charmeuse silk. I hope this helps me too if I don't want to baggy every single night.

Back