My Hair Hates Relaxers Now

PrissiSippi

Simply Komplex
All my hair in a certain section of my head is falling out. I was natural for a year but I couldn't keep up with moisturizing it properly so I gave up and relaxed my hair. Plus I hated the shrinkage. I feel I look better with straightened hair.

But it seems this certain area can't take relaxed. It keeps falling out. What should I do?

Transition again and just get it straightened? Growth serums on that area?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 153
Did you overprocess that area?
Maybe it didn't get neutralized properly... My nape was forever broken when I had a relaxer.

I think transitioning is a good idea and in the meantime you can use a growth aid like sulfur oil on the broken area.

1. Apply the relaxer on that area last.
2. Perhaps you should consider texlaxing...(underprocessing); it takes a bit more time to flatiron but (from my experience) you'll enjoy a healthier head of hair.
3. Try micro/sisterlocks. I AM partial to these; do the research, their styling options are very versatile.

You can try shaving that area or transition and just do a silk press its the same straightening process and it will be healthier cause its not a chemical. I have almost heat trained my hair where I did a Silk Press and then my hair would not revert so if that is what you are looking for it is possible.

What kind of relaxer are you using? Are u self relaxed or do you go to the salon? Either way, can you walk us through your process.

My edges kept getting burned off due to my stylist technique. She would relax that area first. Plus the relaxer i was using was too strong for my hair.

There could be a couple of reasons why that area keeps breaking off but without further info i would only be making a general assumption. It could be from technique, not properly neutralizing, ur lacking a proper moisture and protein balance, ur relaxing too often etc...

Post ur Reggie and lets see if we can get to the root of the issue

What kind of relaxer are you using? Are u self relaxed or do you go to the salon? Either way, can you walk us through your process.

My edges kept getting burned off due to my stylist technique. She would relax that area first. Plus the relaxer i was using was too strong for my hair.

There could be a couple of reasons why that area keeps breaking off but without further info i would only be making a general assumption. It could be from technique, not properly neutralizing, ur lacking a proper moisture and protein balance, ur relaxing too often etc...

Post ur Reggie and lets see if we can get to the root of the issue
Im using butter blends sensitive by mizani and a girl is doing my hair. My hairmreggie has beennall over the place mum not moisturizing and sealing just moisturizing maybe once a week and dc'ing once every two weeks with humectant and washing with keracare detangling poo

Relaxer Recommendations
- Skip relaxing that area for a while
- Heavily coat that area with vaseline before your touch-up to slow down processing
- Make sure the area is neutralized properly

Regimen
- Have a consistent regimen
- Stay on top of moisturizing / sealing
- Jbco and scalp massage that area
- Protect the area from friction day and night
- Make sure your scarf isn't moving around at night and/or coming off
- Make sure your clothes (scarves, coats, etc) isn't rubbing that area

Last edited:
Im using butter blends sensitive by mizani and a girl is doing my hair. My hairmreggie has beennall over the place mum not moisturizing and sealing just moisturizing maybe once a week and dc'ing once every two weeks with humectant and washing with keracare detangling poo

I used to use mizani BB and it was just too strong for my hair. It's weird my sister can use that relaxer w/o any issues. I had to switch to an even milder relaxer. Like divachyk said you have to develop a regimen and be consistent. Take baby steps, Even if it's moisturizing every other day.

To moisturize that area, have you tried aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel? I had this issue when I was relaxed. I don't remember the relaxer but when I moisturized with aloe vera juice, my nape section straightened itself out. As the ladies mentioned above, it is over processed. My nape section and sides are a finer texture than my crown. If I experienced breakage, it was always in those areas.

To moisturize that area, have you tried aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel? I had this issue when I was relaxed. I don't remember the relaxer but when I moisturized with aloe vera juice, my nape section straightened itself out. As the ladies mentioned above, it is over processed. My nape section and sides are a finer texture than my crown. If I experienced breakage, it was always in those areas.
Pooh I have some of this juice in the fridge!! I'm going to try this!!

If you were self relaxing I'd go through all the questions but if someone else is doing your hair then it could just be that you need to switch brands (which she should have noticed and suggested already), extend the time between applications (as she's overlapping and those already sensitive areas are being over processed but again she should have noticed already) or your hair has changed and you need to stop relaxing.

I stumbled backwards into being natural. Did a few very long stretches trying to correct relaxers that would not take (after years of no problems). After last long stretch I peeked around the long term transitioner's thread and although I had not fully claimed it, a few months later ending up chopping early (17 months in). If you don't care about "being curly" then transition and heat train your hair to keep straight styles you prefer.

ETA and also see a trichologist to ensure there is nothing else wrong.

Did you have any color treatment to your hair or anything? My cousin burnt her hair off down to the root because she got a relaxer a WEEK after getting her bleached smh. It looked just like your picture. Seems like the relaxer is too strong or sitting on your hair too long. Also make sure you properly neutralize after rinsing the relaxer as well. Protein treat, & moisturize that area more than usual. Do a strand test to check your porosity because you may need more protein than moisture (or vice versa)., oil your scalp & massage it. Dont let it get too dry. Don't put stress on the area w braids,etc until it gets stronger

Back