My hair hates me

kimber108

Hi Everyone,

I'm a super new:grin: to these forums and reading up to about 2002 Archives I wish I had known about this long ago. I ran onto these forums by accident and I'm glad it happened. You see! My hair hates me now.

I've always been blessed with a strain of hair that will grow no matter what I do it to. Feeling this blessing as a curse, my whole teen years I kept my hair short. Well, 5 years ago, I got into the weave (:yep:yes I said it) mojo, so never perming my own and keeping it braided for 2 of those years did wonders for it. :blush:

So after 2 years of weave, my beautician couldn't take :pullhair:braiding braids over braids and made the suggestion that I should start wearing my own hair. After my first relaxer, 3 inch trim and a blow dry, she turned me around and my hair layed Mid Back length.:gorgeous: I kept my own hair for a short period of time, and after trying to maintain it, I cut it ear length, braided it up and wore my weave again. :evil:

My boyfriend wasn't very fond of the weave scene:samurai: to begin with and now that we live together the suggestion of wearing my own hair has come up again. So I did. After my year of weaving it up again, I permed for the first time and my hair lay MBL. :reddancer:

Now I don't know how you girls maintain your gorgeous hair, and I've seen a lot of healthy lengths on these forums. I moved to a different area, so I no longer have my beautician to baby :babyg:my roots anymore. So please work with me when I say I know pretty much nothing about growing hair or the new hair care products out there. I just remember the old fashion blue bonnet grease and wet brush routine my mother did when I was a kid.

So, I shopped:

For 6 months:

I used the Optimum Shampoo and Conditioner with Collogen.
Optimum Hair Leave in Moisturizer
Optimum Hair quencher and dressing.

I sectioned, knotted and air dried (Jada Pinkett hair style in the Matrix) so it would come out straight.

Flat ironed and went on my way.:auto:

This was my routine for six months. Summer hit, I dyed my hair, a month later, I went in the pool for the first time in 6 years. Naturally was dunked in the water :hottub:and ............
my hair has hated me ever since.:hardslap:

My routine did not work anymore. My hair became weak, and some of it looked like it was falling out at the root. The ends broke off insanely. I used a relaxer about 2 months after that and hope was lost.
I had to start all over again. :oops:

My hair, after almost year, it is presently bra strap length again.:pepper:

I used ;

Pantene Pro V for women of Color, shampoo and conditioner.
Profectv leave in conditioner, hair strengther and root dressing.
and I braid dry that's it.
I relaxed maybe twice since then (which all my perms are mild). My hair is back to being thick and vibrant at the roots, but my ends seem to be breaking off more rapidly and look so unhealthy. Once it hits Bra Strap Length, it breaks off again.
This was great for the Fall-Winter, but summer is coming again and I'm scared.

Does anyone have any other brand recommendations that I should look into? Or hair routines that might help me? Any suggestions!?
Weave is looking really tempting again! :hide:

Black hair cannot go without conditioing. You have to baby your ends by moisturizing them and sealing them with oil. I heard that certain fabrics like wool can break your hair so avoid letting your hair lay on ruff fabrics.
Do you clarify? Do you use a silk or satin scarf or bonnet at night?

Last edited:
Hello!

My suggestion would be a really intense protein treatment. Aphogee is a great protein treatment, and quite intense too. If your hair seems to be weak, then this may be your answer...

But if you arent sure, be sure to try a milder protein treatment. Many leave-in conditioners have protein in them and can help strengthen the hair shaft, which seems to be your problem. Aphogee also has a mild, 2-minute reconstructor that can mildly strengthen the hair over time.

The Pantene line is good for stronger hair. Keep with that and the Profectiv.

My recommendation: Just add a leave-in conditioner (Infusium, Giovanni)after shampoo/conditioning for stronger hair. Then coat/seal with the Profectiv. If this isn't enough, then resort to a more intense method like Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair.

It's good that it reaches BSL, but be sure not to wear it down too often (or for me, not at all) so that it can grow to greater lengths.

Hope this helps.

I don't post all that often, and I am in a serious fued with my hair myself,:whip: but one thing I can tell you, is I dyed my hair this summer ( too many grays, prematurely, of course:look:) and it has taken me until now to undo the damage. I will never put another permanent color in my hair while relaxed. I had to do small trims to stop the damage. Luckily my Aunt is a hairdresser, and will usually cut less then what I tell her. There is a wealth of information on this board, find what works for you and you will be flying high. Now, if I could just follow my own advice.....

Black hair cannot go without conditioing. You have to baby your ends by moisturizing them and sealing them with oil. I heard that certain fabrics like wool can break your hair so avoid letting your hair lay on ruff fabrics.
Do you clarify? Do you use a silk or satin scarf or bonnet at night?

OH LAWD! :drool:

I don't know the first thing about clarifying or what it does, sorry to say. If it isn't in the products I listed, then I don't do it at all. And I use a satin scarf sometimes ( depends on if its on my head in the morning when I wake up) but for the most part my pillow case is satin covered. My hair stays twirled in a bun on top of my head at night if it isn't wrapped. And I use that Profectv strengthener on it when I do bun it up (the yellow stuff) from scalp to tip. I never even thought about oiling ends.. like ever.

I'll look into buying the infusium after shampooing and I'll pick up Aphogee just in case. I'm getting 2 inches trimmed today and crossing my fingers. I only shampoo once a week. But I've been told that I should twice a week from a friend so not really sure? I'm horrible I know

Back