My hair hates "cheapie" hair products!

isawstars

MNT, HE's hello hydration & Long Term Relationship, Tressemme... Aren't cutting it. I should have never risked it because I have 3 inches of NG... and now my hair is so tangled and feels like straw! I ran to the cvs to get some Biolage Ultra Hydrating Leave-In which saved the day... Yeah it was 17 bucks... But it revived my hair. Now I'm embarrassed that I tried to look cute in class this morning with my straw hair. :ohwell:

So now I'm back to salon products... and unfortunately I need to restock on almost everything. Keracare, Mizani, Paul Mitchell... I definitely cannot afford to be a pj this time around! :look:

Does anyone else experience this?

My hair loves cheapie products! Good thing too because I go trough a bottle of suave like its water. lol

I agree, some cheapie products just don't do the trick. I think you can get away with cheap shampoo, but conditioner, leave-ins and styling prducts must be quality (whether cheap or expensive). I thought I loved ORS Replenishing paks, but after a couple of uses, it left my hair feeling weighed down as if it had a film on it. From my experience, cheap products contain lots of fillers like mineral oil, and just sit on top of the hairstrand, thus blocking moisture from entering the strand. You have to really read the ingredients, and strike a balance between cheap and expensive.

I agree with the above. I like to use a bottle of the Aussie 3 minute deep treatment to detangle my hair or some suave for a co-wash, but when it comes to condishing for real I break out the Redken, MOP, and Ojon.

Girl you got some expensive hair:lachen: My hair is a mix. Sometimes it likes cheapies then next time it's like wth are u using chick? Like sometimes my hair would like Queen helene cholesterol which is once in a blue moon and on the other moons it likes Kera care humecto. So I always look out for bargains on keracare.

OP, my hair hates the cheap stuff too! My hair would be so hard and tangled from cheap products!

Yup same here. I tried to do the whole sunsilk line but my hair was hard as a rock after drying. I have a whole closet full of cheap products. Salon products work better for me, I don't have to change my routine or anything it's the products. I now don't mind shelling out the cash for manageable hair, heck I use to do this when I relaxed so I give my money to Ulta instead of a hair dresser. I am now switching between the Matrix Sleek Look and Joico Moisture Recovery Line they are both awesome! for my 4b transitioning hair.

You are not ALONE. I am Here with You. Even though we are far away....hAHAHA

Girl my napps got fed up one day with that VO5 and Suave. I brought a comb through my hair one day trying to detangle...AND my hair was like NOO Noo Noo you don't.

I had to kick all major commercial products to the curb. High end..Low end would not work. I had to move towards products that have at least 80% natural ingredients at the top of the ingredient list. If not..my hair does not act right. It's all mother nature and stuff all of a sudden. Acting real brand new. lOL!

I think cheapies work best when hair is natural, because when I was relaxed only salon brand products worked....

Not always. My hair got all Amish on me...gotta use stuff from the earth. Natural hair...natural products. lol

High end or low end..Does not work well on my knapps.

You are not ALONE. I am Here with You. Even though we are far away....hAHAHA

Girl my napps got fed up one day with that VO5 and Suave. I brought a comb through my hair one day trying to detangle...AND my hair was like NOO Noo Noo you don't.

I had to kick all major commercial products to the curb. High end..Low end would not work. I had to move towards products that have at least 80% natural ingredients at the top of the ingredient list. If not..my hair does not act right. It's all mother nature and stuff all of a sudden. Acting real brand new. lOL!

You crack me up! :lachen: I'm glad you mentioned the whole natural ingredients thing... you just reminded me of how I loved Burt's Bee's grapefruit poo and condish 2 years ago!

umm, I used HE "totally twisted" today on dry hair and it was pretty good! but I also followed it w Ojon's Condish..

I know my hair CANNOT do that V05 nonsense, the thicker the better. when I have 3 mon'ts NG, the only cheapie that works is ORS replenishing pack and CON moisturizing shampoo..

ETA: as far as styling products.. no cheapies. period.

My hair is funny like that too, the only way cheapie products can come near my head is if they are being mixed with something else to help enhance them.

Most cheap conditoners ($1-$3) make my hair feel hard, tangly, stiff, dry :nono:

Alot of expensive ones are just so-so for my hair

So I like to stay in the mid (at least mid for my pockets) Because I dont want to spend alot of money if its just going to be so/so or waste my time trying to find a miracle $1 product. For my shampoos & conditoners, I look at the ingredients ( I need glycerin and oils) and the way it looks....It cant look like lotion or be a cholesterol def. cant look like dish detergent or body wash (that will equal ROUGH hair), it has to look pearly, almost translucent, or be very thick and silky....Roux Porosity, Cream of nature shampoo, Ors replenish conditoner, Carefree moisturizer all have the same kind of look to them and my hair loves them all. Silicon Mix conditoner has been the only expection so far with how it looks.

i doubt that your hair hates all cheapie products, you prolly just havent found the right onw for you. i used to think this same way when i fell in love with high end products but once you find the high end you like you can find a cheapie so easily. try sally's gvp line. they carry copies of joico, redken, paul mitchell, and nexxus.

I have had this same issue, i really do prefer the salon products and this is when my hair has looked it's best. but i never liked herbal essence for my hair anyway.

I do believe that there are decent cheaper products out there, but i do prefer the more expensive products when i'm ballin'

My hair doesn't do well with cheap products either. I can use cheap conditioners for detangling or if it's a second co-wash for the day (i.e. I worked out early in the day and then shower again later). Otherwise, it's a no go (except for ORS Replenishing paks---those are the bomb). :perplexed

I do wonder if I could get away with soome of the GVP line from Sally's. I might check it out when I need a refill of something. :yep:

Speaking of which, have you tried Sally's Generic line? You might be able to find something that works for you that's within your budget.

Paul Mitchell is my staple product, but I have been using suave, and I add coconut oil ,honey ,jojoba oil oil to it and it works fine for me.

Most cheap conditoners ($1-$3) make my hair feel hard, tangly, stiff, dry :nono:

Alot of expensive ones are just so-so for my hair

So I like to stay in the mid (at least mid for my pockets) Because I dont want to spend alot of money if its just going to be so/so or waste my time trying to find a miracle $1 product. For my shampoos & conditoners, I look at the ingredients ( I need glycerin and oils) and the way it looks....It cant look like lotion or be a cholesterol def. cant look like dish detergent or body wash (that will equal ROUGH hair), it has to look pearly, almost translucent, or be very thick and silky....Roux Porosity, Cream of nature shampoo, Ors replenish conditoner, Carefree moisturizer all have the same kind of look to them and my hair loves them all. Silicon Mix conditoner has been the only expection so far with how it looks.

I've never heard anyone desribe what their hair likes by the consistency and look of the product. Well if the Bolded is what your hair likes you should try Aubrey Organics Conditioners. I just picked up Island Naturals conditioner for dry hair and it is THICK and looks all shiny and pearly. Check it out.

My hair is bougie, I can't lie. I wish that I could use cheaper products and have a good outcome, but that would be too much like right given my current financial situation. :rolleyes: I might try some Sally's products. That's a good idea. :yep: The way I work around it is to purchase items like Nature's Gate, Whole Foods 365, and Trader Joe's Nourish line. They're fairly natural (TJ is all natural, I think) and not expensive at all. I use them for co-washing.

I would cut it all off in retaliation if my hair rebelled against Suave or VO5.

Now when it's being straightened...it demands Kenra MC, Sabino MB, and my Solia. lol!

Back