My Hair has Oil Issues! Help!!

HairPhoenix

Okay, so I have never been an oil or hair dressing user and some of my former stylists have given me a lot of grief over that. The reason I haven't is because of my sensitive skin. Oils and hair dressings tend to make my scalp breakout in zits... yeah, it's nasty. :ohwell: So I have stuck to leave-in conditioners over the years for moisture and my hair has been okay. I have been gradually increasing my use of moisturizers, such as Profectiv Long N Healthy Anti-Breakage (love that stuff :love: ).

Recently, I have tried to use oils since so many of you in LHCF use them with success. My problem is, I feel that my hair doesn't like them. I think the reason may be that my hair is not porous. Why? When I apply oils they just sit there. They do not seep into my hair and end up running across my scalp. I spend a lot of time wiping my ears and hairline. I have adjusted to applying different amounts (less and less) of oil to my hair, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The oil just sits there and if my hair touches anything the oil rubs off. (And I am getting zits on my forehead and scalp again! :mad: That is upsetting because I normally have clear, unblemished skin. I know it's the oil.)

I have noticed that oil blends like Africa's Best Olive & Clove Oil Therapy work a little better. But I was trying to get the benefits of using pure essential oils.

Does this happen to anyone else? Do different oils absorb differently? If so, can anyone suggest some more absorbent oils for me to try?

Yay! another profectiv long and healthy lover! The only other oily type hairdress that I use is Profectiv Healthy Ends. Like you, my hair doesnt receive oil well when dry. So for the past 3 weeks plus, I have been adding pure Jojoba oil to all of my conditioners (Keracare Humetco and Profectiv Growth Masque) and it makes my hair extra moist and shiny.

PS: My hair doesnt like olive oil. It is too heavy.

If your hair is pourous you need some porosity control by Roux, it comes in a shampoo, conditioner and treatment. If you haven't tried this before, I think you should give it a try and then see if your hair will begin to absorb the moisturizers you use. They sell it at BSS and Sally's. HTH's

part your hair then apply the oil to your fingertip, usually the pointer. Massage it into the scalp. You only need alittle and its still effective. hth :look:

foxybrownsugar said:
part your hair then apply the oil to your fingertip, usually the pointer. Massage it into the scalp. You only need alittle and its still effective. hth :look:

Thanks for the advice. BTW, what's your favorite kind of oil?

HairPhoenix

My hair doesn't like oil as a hair/scalp dressing either.

These are the only way I use hair oils:

1. HOT OIL TREATMENT - I heat it up, pour it on my hair and scalp and cover with a plastic bag for a few minutes before a shampoo, then rinse it out. The heat helps my hair absorb what's needed, the the excess is rinsed off.

2. OIL in Conditioner -- If I have a moisturizing conditioner that is not particularly effective alone, I pour some oil in the conditioner, mix it up, use it after my Emergencee treatment for a deep moisturizing treatment. Then, of course rince out.

In lieu of a hot oil treatment, I sometimes put sleep in an oil bath, yes it runs everywhere, but then I rinse it out in the morning.

If I used oil for regular leave in maintenance, but hair would look like a flat mop.

Gurl, truth be told there's not many that I dislike! :lol: But I'm especially fond of carrot oil, omega fatty oils like hempseed and borage, hot 6, vo5, & avocado oil. I usually use mine for hot oil treatments *sometimes mixing them* but occasionally use them on the scalp and leave it on.

You can also heat them(oils) in the microwave in a glass bowl and give yourself a cuticle hot oil treatment before pushing them back. My fingernails love it & it keeps them healthy looking.:look:

Back