My Hair has been holding me hostage

CocoBunny

Ok I confess I don’t know how to swim. My husband does, my kids do and even my 80 year old parents do. I have a pool at my home that I have NEVER been into. For YEARS I’ve sat longingly looking at the pool. Well that’s all about to change; I’m tired of my hair holding me hostage. I am going to learn to swim! My husband wants to teach me but I think in order to still have a marriage, I’ll just take adult swim lessons at the local swim school.

I have shoulder length (barely) hair and I am 5 weeks post relaxer and trying to go for 12. I always wear a fall to work or a UPA or Mane Clip, I will be taking lessons 3 times a week after work and then hopping into my home pool every chance I get, so what can I do to keep my hair from falling out or just getting jacked up from the chlorine? Some one suggested slathering my hair with oil prior to getting into the pool, but I don’t know if I want to leave an oil slick trailing behind me.

I have no idea what my hair type is, I deep condition weekly. I rotate nightly my use of BT, MN and OCT and full head baggy every night. I’ve finally got my shedding and breakage under control and feel like I have a head of semi healthy hair.

Should I rinse with baking soda or ACV after getting out of the pool, should I deep condition nightly, should I use one of those after pool shampoos (I had stopped using al shampoos until I went on the OCT system so it’s the only shampoo I currently use).

Sorry for the long post but please, please help a newbie, land locked sista break free. I wanna swim ya’ll! (and still have hair)!

TIA

I'm checking in to say congrats on taking swimming lessons :yep:. I just learned to swim last year and it's great exercise. Go 'head w/ yo bad self:clap:

I wish i would get up the nerve to really learn... Had some previous bad water (pool) experiences..

So one of my fears in drowning in water way to deep for me.

Congratulations! :surf:I love the water, you can't get me out and I hope you'll love it as well. I swim and I take water aerobics and endurance classes so I'm well aware of the damage chlorinated water can do to our hair. First, you will want to purchase a shampoo to remove the chlorine that is in the water. You also want to buy a conditioner (this can be cheap) and a swim cap (invest in a good brand).

I wet my hair, not soaking, and apply conditioner then my swim cap. I know that sounds a bit scary, but you can't wear a swim cap without wetting your hair first and on the chance that my hair gets wet in the pool, which it always does during my water aerobics classes the conditioner blocks the chlorine. These techniques are also good for the ocean as well to block sea salt.

I deep condition my hair more often when I'm swimming, but I will only shampoo once a week. This is to avoid stripping my hair of oils and moisture. I continue with my regular styling techniques. Currently I sit under a dryer and then blow dry or flat iron my roots since I'm pregnant and don't want to use chemicals. But, for you I'd recommend air drying if your good at it. So that's it, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'm wishing you the best of luck!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations! :surf:I love the water, you can't get me out and I hope you'll love it as well. I swim and I take water aerobics and endurance classes so I'm well aware of the damage chlorinated water can do to our hair. First, you will want to purchase a shampoo to remove the chlorine that is in the water. You also want to buy a conditioner (this can be cheap) and a swim cap (invest in a good brand).

I wet my hair, not soaking, and apply conditioner then my swim cap. I know that sounds a bit scary, but you can't wear a swim cap without wetting your hair first and on the chance that my hair gets wet in the pool, which it always does during my water aerobics classes the conditioner blocks the chlorine. These techniques are also good for the ocean as well to block sea salt.

I deep condition my hair more often when I'm swimming, but I will only shampoo once a week. This is to avoid stripping my hair of oils and moisture. I continue with my regular styling techniques. Currently I sit under a dryer and then blow dry or flat iron my roots since I'm pregnant and don't want to use chemicals. But, for you I'd recommend air drying if your good at it. So that's it, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'm wishing you the best of luck!!!

Thank you for the advice. I can hardly wait! :grin:

Thank you! Thank you! I am kind of proud of myself but also annoyed that I waited so long.

I was annoyed at myself for waiting so long, too :look:. I was 34 before I even set foot in our pool, and I figured if my puppy had so much fun in the pool, then I wanted to, too :grin:. Concentrate on the fact that you decided to do it, baby girl:yep:. It's all 2 the good!

That's great. I don't swim well but I'm at the beach often. I'm not afraid of rain anymore either. Wet your hair and put on conditioner it should be good enough to keep a lot of the chlorine away. I think you'll find that if you wash your hair more often it will do wonders for it.

I wish i would get up the nerve to really learn... Had some previous bad water (pool) experiences..

So one of my fears in drowning in water way to deep for me.

Just do it! It is liberating to overcome a fear. I am so annoyed that it took me so long. By the end of my first lesson I was more comfortable in the water, and it just gets better and better. I am the first one in the pool at home and the last one out. ... and my hair is thriving

Back