My hair always breaks before a relaxer

Is this normal?

My relaxed hair always starts breaking as soon as the NG starts to come through.

This is very annoying I don't understand it at all.

Does any one else have this?

I believe it has something to do with the demarcation line and the manipulation of the two textures. It happens to me too and at times it has made me rush to get a touch-up.

This used to happen to me all the time, which is why I was getting a touch up every 4 weeks. Now, however, I try to keep my hair moisturized when the NG gets thick, and I don't come the NG at all. I relax every 8 or so weeks, and for the last 2 wweeks I usually keep it in a bun. I started co-washing a few weeks ago (I'm 4 weeks post now with ~.5 inch NG) and more in some places:look:) and I haven't experienced any breakage. I've flat ironed my hair twice this week too, and still no problem. :yep:

I believe it has something to do with the demarcation line and the manipulation of the two textures. It happens to me too and at times it has made me rush to get a touch-up.
I agree, it could be that your new texture is a lot different from your relaxed hair, thus making it more fragile and prone to breakage. Where are you noticing a lot of the breakage coming from?

Try a light protein treatment weekly for a few minutes, use co-washes to help detangle, and make sure you moisturize the area where the textures meet, also - ease up on your manipulation once it begins happening.

I think it's probably a demarcation issue as well.

This used to happen to me all the time, which is why I was getting a touch up every 4 weeks. Now, however, I try to keep my hair moisturized when the NG gets thick, and I don't comb the NG at all. I relax every 8 or so weeks, and for the last 2 wweeks I usually keep it in a bun. I started co-washing a few weeks ago (I'm 4 weeks post now with ~.5 inch NG) and more in some places:look:) and I haven't experienced any breakage. I've flat ironed my hair twice this week too, and still no problem. :yep:

I agree. Once, I'm 6+ weeks post, I do not comb my ng at all:yep: I keep my hair moisturized, co wash every other day and keep my hair pinned up! Also as Soliel recommended, do a light protein treatment, once a week until you relax, Motions CPR should do the trick. QB are you using a wide tooth comb? Are you washing your hair in the shower? How many weeks post are you?

Last edited:
Back