My FIRST successful set of chochet braids! *PICS*

kbragg

I am soooo soooo proud of myself:grin: I was worried the style was going to come accross as very fake and wiggy looking but it actually looks natural. I plan to keep these in for who knows long:lol: Baby will be here in 18 days so I figure 8 weeks or so:look:

Big thanks to BlackMasterPiece's blog!!! Ok so to start I washed my hair and did an Aphogee 2 step treatment (my natural hair LOVED it...I'm a year into my transition) Then I DC'd with AOHSR, air dried and maxiglided my hair and work it straight for about a week (I just came out of kinky twists for 6 1/2 weeks so my hair needed a little rest).

For the crochet braids I used 2 packs of Model Model Water Wave in color 1B/30(It's identical to the Freetress water wave and what my BSS carries) and a little bit of sythetic kanekelon hair to make my cornrow base sturdier.

I applied AOHRS to dry hair and sealed with extra virgin coconut oil. I did 13 cornrows total. I couldn't figure out hoe to do a beehive so I made up a kinda funky braid pattern:lol: I did 3 cornrows on the left that went from my edges to the back of my opposite ear so basically the top half of my hair is braided straight back and the back is perpendicular to it. I connected all the loose braids and made kind of a double braid at my nape. From what I've read it's better if the nape is braided horizontally. I should have taken pic of it but I didn't so hopefully you can visualize it. It's very similar to the braid pattern Black MasterPiece did for the doc on her blog.

I cut the Water Wave hair in half and split each coil of the hair into 4 pieces. This is the end result. A little big probably due to me separating the hair into 4 instead of 3 but I love big hair so it works for me!

f28149f5.jpg

Yes I'm ready to pop:lol:

0f563e80.jpg

5785cb03.jpg

2a218fb3.jpg

7b991a70.jpg

84f284b4.jpg

It was a lot easier and less time consuming than doing individuals and the hair feels a lot lighter and more comfortable so this will be my staple style for the rest of my transition. I plan to BC when I can do a twist out on natural hair that matches this length.

ETA: How'd I misspell crochet???:lachen:

Last edited:
This actually looks really good. Maybe I should invest in trying to learn to do some. I just get so nervous cause of my week hairline and attaching anything to it.

This actually looks really good. Maybe I should invest in trying to learn to do some. I just get so nervous cause of my week hairline and attaching anything to it.

I have a weak hairline too so what BlackMasterPiece suggests is adding a little bit of synthetic hair to make the base more stable. I only used a tiny piece per cornrow and it made a difference. I also don't cornrow too tight....mainly because I don't know how:rofl:

Oh and the hair is VERY very light, especially since I separated it into 4s's. It feels lighterthan my own hair and 10x's lighter than braids.:yep:

I have weak edges too, but the hair is very light! Not heavy at all. I wore these alot before and after I bc'd. Gonna go back to it since I see it's getting cold out.

Oh I forgot to add, the hair only cost $4.99 a pack and I used 2 packs plus 2 pieces from a 3rd pack so this style only cost me $10-$15! I love being a DIYer! I can walk around looking like I stay up in the salon without spending the $$$$$ for it! Thank you youtube and LHCF!!!

looks good--I'm kinda jealous! I wish I could do a no-mess-with style like that. But me and the phony ponies and half wigs are getting along pretty well. :)

Looking good kbragg. I'm practicing my cornrow skills (still pretty sad) so that I can use this style to transition.

I think this is gorgeous! I like it big like that too. I'm definitely gonna have to try this hair next time I do crochets in January. Nice!!

What cornrow pattern did you use and how many cornrows?

Last edited:
looks good--I'm kinda jealous! I wish I could do a no-mess-with style like that. But me and the phony ponies and half wigs are getting along pretty well. :)

Girl you can do it! Becareful with the Phony pony in the hospital....mine came off with Caleb!:blush: That's why I did this lol cuz I don't want DH to be messin' with me again talking about "Here's your hair baby":rofl:

Im jelly! I dont think I could ever do that!
Looks GREAT K!!!

Sure you could! You've got mad cornrow skills. All you do is loop the weave under the cornrow and tie it off. It's the easiest hairstyle I've ever done:yep:

Looking good kbragg. I'm practicing my cornrow skills (still pretty sad) so that I can use this style to transition.

Girl my skills are wack too LOL! As long as it sticks to the scalp you can do this believe me. My parts are NOT straight, my knots (I added a little bit of synthetic hair to each braid for stability) are butt ugly...but only I know LOL! Well ya'll know now too huh?:lachen:

I think this is gorgeous! I like it big like that too. I'm definitely gonna have to try this hair next time I do crochets in January. Nice!!

What cornrow pattern did you use and how many cornrows?

Well the pattern is to be decided:rofl: I was "trying" to do a beehive but what I ended up doing is braiding from the left side at the edges to the back of the right ear for the first 4 braids which covered the whole back of my head, then I braided straight back for the rest and connected them all together. 13 cornrows in all. It's oogly:lol:

Great job. How long did it take to install. That belly, awww. You're such a cute preggers.

It took me all day because I stopped and started and goofed off in between. I estimate 3-4 hours total though if I had no distractions:grin:

Ok my braid pattern was similar to this but with less braids. YouTube - Sew In Weave with invisible PART I I have 13 total going back but the 4 on the left wrap all the way around to include the back and the remaining 9 stop around the crown. Then I did one cornrow connecting all the ends of the braids and wrapped it at the base of the nape. Hope that makes sense:look:

It looks really good and should look great before, during and after the work out to get your new little one out. Thanks for sharing!

Girl you can do it! Becareful with the Phony pony in the hospital....mine came off with Caleb! That's why I did this lol cuz I don't want DH to be messin' with me again talking about "Here's your hair baby"

:lol: Seriously?!!!! I actually have a half wig planned for the hospital. :giggle:

:lol: Seriously?!!!! I actually have a half wig planned for the hospital. :giggle:

You better sew it down girl LOL that thang will FLY:rofl: Thankfully I had a sista for a nurse lol she knew exactly what to do. Apparently she scooped my weave up and discreetly gave it to DH before anyone noticed:lachen:

Shoot and I only had a c-section:look: I dunno ROFL cuz I mean I did P90X with that phony pony and it never came off. I think it's the hospital weave curse:rofl:

Back