My first henna!

shadylane21

O.K. so I did my first henna and love it! I mixed red henna which I got from my local co-op and it was 10.00 a lb. I filled two baggies .25 lbs each and it was like 5 something. I only used one bag for my head and enough to do my sons head because he wants red hair, (he's mixed and has dirty blonde curly hair) Anywho I used-

Henna red
bottled lemon juice
little water
bout 1/2 cup cheapie cond
2 tablespoons of EVOO
I let the dye release for 24 hours and applied all over head
covered with saran wrap
covered with plastic cap
covered with scarf
covered with bonnet
went to sleep
I filled my bathtub and hung my hair in the water and moved it side to side and it came out of my hair with ease! I then got in the shower and cond. and got the rest out and I did an ACV rinse to lock in the color and keep it from bleeding. I then applied silicon mix to towel dried hair with jojba oil and then I and some miss keys 10 en 1. I let this sit under a shower cap for 3 hours while I watched my stories. I rinsed my hair used aussie moist and got out. I then put in my leave-ins and heat protectent and dried under the dryer. I then flatironed my hair the first time in a while and then I wrapped it and did a silk wrap under the dryer and that was it.:grin:

Now I like the color and I know it is supposed to get darker over like three days, but I would like to know how to get the final result redder? What should I add next time? Also how often can I henna? Well you know what I know the drill i'll check the search:lachen::lachen:

Please check out my fotki I just uploaded some pics thanks.
Sorry so long.:blush:

I love the color - the hair looks so healthy. which brand of henna did you use?

I've been thinking about using henna - to cover up gray hair I have right in front on the hairline and for the conditioning benefits.

:wow: your hair looks gorgeous. I dunno what you eat girl coz your hair's growth is amazing :yep:
And the henna really looks good too. I was thinking of black henna myself, but I just might think otherwise seeing how red looks good on your hair :spinning:

Your first henna came out soooo good! I love the highlights you achieved. You are makkibg such great progress w/ your hair and it looks so healthy.

Looks great! Im excited that Im finally taking the plunge and doing my first henna today! I have to check it to see if the color released yet....I put it out yesterday evening. Im a little nervous about the dryness....do u think I should follow up with ORS replenishing or Pantene R&N breakage defense mask....ORRR doctor up some cholesterol with some oils,etc?

:waytogo: you did get great results!!! Get it girl :dance7:

Ha,ha (I LOVE these smilies). I just did my 1st Henna Treatment last week and I am SOO pleased w/ the results as well. I found that this is the only thing that has been able to combat my unruly dry patch of hair. :woohoo2:

Now I like the color and I know it is supposed to get darker over like three days, but I would like to know how to get the final result redder? What should I add next time?

Hi SL21,
You might want to take a look at this site:
http://reverndbunny.sphosting.com/hair.htm

which suggests
water from boiled pomegranate husks for bright reds
Red Zinger Tea for red highlights
Arabic spiced coffee for darker red
Tea for golden highlights
Chamomile for blonde highlights
Turmeric for gold highlights
Paprika for REAL RED
clove for darker reds​

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried these :look:)​

I love the color - the hair looks so healthy. which brand of henna did you use?

I've been thinking about using henna - to cover up gray hair I have right in front on the hairline and for the conditioning benefits.

TY I used henna red which came loose at my local co-op so I am not sure what the brand is.

bigblueviolet- TY!, on my way back to the co-op to stock up on this henna, I will get some of the things listed for my next tx.

NaturalJoy-Totally agree about the dry patch.

Leslie_C- I woiuld d/c and ORS is always good. I didn't use it even though I have like 6 paks:lachen:because I have a lot of newgrowth and silicon mix works wonders on it. I would also add a couple of tablespoons of EVOO.

Serenity_Peace- TY! your making me blush.

SelfStyled-TY for showin some luv:grin:

Zuhus-I wish I had good eating habits! I think its the MN and the prenatal i've been taking along with the fact that LHCH has taught me how to take care of my hair.

Thanks everybody-I luv henna:lick:

I am so excited IM FLOORED! :grin: I cant believe I slept on henna this long! It was so easy and SO WORTH IT! I LOVE the results! :trampolin I just used henna and water and let it sit overnight. This AM I thought it looked like the color hadnt released but wasnt sure since it was my first time (I lost my henna virginity today lol). My hair changed from dusty brown with no shine/sheen to chestnut/reddish brown with actual shine. Not to mention its stronger, thicker, and I had no shedding/breakage during my combout.

My fiance says he likes it but it looks fake so Ill take that as a compliment! That is my goal in life...to have hair that looks like a weave LOL. I am now, and will forever be, a henna girl! I think my regimen is finally complete! This was the one thing it was missing! I just got the WOW factor for the first time in a while! Pics in my fotki for those who need a visual!

Hi SL21,
You might want to take a look at this site:
http://reverndbunny.sphosting.com/hair.htm

which suggests
water from boiled pomegranate husks for bright reds
Red Zinger Tea for red highlights
Arabic spiced coffee for darker red
Tea for golden highlights
Chamomile for blonde highlights
Turmeric for gold highlights
Paprika for REAL RED
clove for darker reds​

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried these :look:)​

You can also go to: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/

there's TONS of recipies. You just click on the hair color you want to achieve (keep in mind that if you have black or dark brown hair, the henna WILL NOT lift the color that you have now. It will just DEPOSIT redish highlights into your current color) but you can get an idea of the mixes that others are using. here's someone's mix:

ordered some Yemen henna, because I had read that it tended to stain darker and more red than orange, very important.
I mixed up 200 grams for my hair which goes half way down my back but is fine textured. I brewed up a concoction of red zinger tea, lemon juice, ground cloves and I threw in a bit of used espresso grounds. (I really didn’t measure out anything but the henna!) Mixed it with the henna after cooling it a bit (make sure it’s like thick yogurt) and left it covered in a warm place for almost 24 hours. I was planning to put indigo into it before I started the process but decided against it last minute because I wanted to have some fun with the idea of having more vibrant hair. I washed my hair, no conditioner, towel dried and sectioned it into 4 parts, just like the salon, baby. I added some lavender and cajeput essential oils into the mix and then applied from root to tip, with a color brush, really saturating it. Wrapped with saran wrap, then put a black toque over it and settled in for a 4 hour movie fest….

I am so excited IM FLOORED! :grin: I cant believe I slept on henna this long! It was so easy and SO WORTH IT! I LOVE the results! :trampolin I just used henna and water and let it sit overnight. This AM I thought it looked like the color hadnt released but wasnt sure since it was my first time (I lost my henna virginity today lol). My hair changed from dusty brown with no shine/sheen to chestnut/reddish brown with actual shine. Not to mention its stronger, thicker, and I had no shedding/breakage during my combout.

My fiance says he likes it but it looks fake so Ill take that as a compliment! That is my goal in life...to have hair that looks like a weave LOL. I am now, and will forever be, a henna girl! I think my regimen is finally complete! This was the one thing it was missing! I just got the WOW factor for the first time in a while! Pics in my fotki for those who need a visual!

I luv it!:yep: I went to the co-op today and bought the rest of their henna and then had the nerve to tell them they were out, then when I saw thim refilling the container I went back and got two more bags, Hell if you find something that works you gotta stock up.:lachen::lachen: 1 bag does my head and now I have 5 I also brought some herbs for next time to make it redder. I store the bags in my freezer to keep it fresh.

Back