My first henna (plethora of pics)

ScorpioLove

I took loads of pics of this first henna experience. I really would like to do it again using lemon (I didnt have any this time) and doing it for a little longer. I thought it would be much more drying than it actually was. I did a protein treatment that morning and I randomly decided I wanted to henna while browsing lhcf. So I thought my hair would have been a desert that I would just water and condition all day (which I still did but still I thought it would have been much worse. Next time I will be sure to not use protein (the henna wasnt planned this time) so that I can use the drying lemon. Oh and I rushed doing a henna because I am leaving town this weekend and I wanted to look cute with the red.

Here I mixed paprika, tumeric, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of all spice

DSC04958-vi.jpg

Mixed in with henna
DSC04961-vi.jpg

Red wine vinegar, olive oil, nd a little cocoa butter

DSC04963-vi.jpg

one tea bag was broken and made little particles everywhere. I used raspberry zinger (tasty :lick:)

DSC04965-vi.jpg

things used

DSC04967-vi.jpg

Mixed up
DSC04971-vi.jpg

Dry hair Before

DSC04975-vi.jpg

DSC04978-vi.jpg

DSC04979-vi.jpg

Application set up. I was totally ready for the mess lol. didnt want to dirty anything but a towel so
DSC04988-vi.jpg
I did this without clothes :look:

damp clean hair

DSC04996-vi.jpg

DSC04997-vi.jpg

After applying

DSC05005-vi.jpg

DSC05009-vi.jpg

Marinated for 9.5 hours

DSC05023-vi.jpg

I purposely left it off my roots
DSC05021-vi.jpg

Next time I will try to do better with an even application

DSC05026-vi.jpg

The back looks so gross lol
DSC05025-vi.jpg

freshly rinsed, very damp, and red is visible slightly

DSC05029-vi.jpg

the right side took better

DSC05035-vi.jpg

DSC05043-vi.jpg

overall (this is all before DC'ing) and with flash

DSC05066-vi.jpg

After DC and rollers w/ flash

DSC05131-vi.jpg

no flash
DSC05147-vi.jpg

ends took nice but I want them more red

DSC05152-vi.jpg

in low light conditions

DSC05157-vi.jpg

I think this is with flash

DSC05158-vi.jpg

No flash

DSC05163-vi.jpg

this is probably the truest representation of the color right now

DSC05164-vi.jpg

but I want it to get to looking like the pics with flash like this

DSC05167-vi.jpg

I do think my hair feels like super strong but obviously I did a protein treatment too so that affects it. I am being super gentle with my hair at the moment. Oh and I want to add that I DC with heat before washing my hair and applying the henna. And then DCed twice after rinsing out the henna (once for 2 hrs 15 min of heat, before class then again for about 4 hrs with 30 min of heat)
I left the henna sitting for 6 hrs and henna'd for 9.5 hrs as well.
Starting monday I will be DCing everyday all day except when I have class and when I get home put dc in my hair again until the next class. Oh and to add my hair loves protein. I would never take this risk if it didnt. I can do an aphogee 2 min every week and my hair will feel moist. Going longer than 2 weeks w/o it gives me serious breakage

I also wish I would have taken b4 pics with flash so ya'll can see the difference. Its a shiny dark brown color. I never usually use flash bcuz i never was checkin for color.. I will see if maybe i have an old pic somewhere

lol my roommate/landlord showed some concerns so i wanted to make sure nothing stained. I kept everything in the tub or next to the tub and put a long mirror next to it so I could see my hair better

Looks great! I have Karishma henna too and I like it a lot. I want to try Napur and Jamila too just to see if I can get a looser texture.

The color looks great! My henna mix is more like pancake batter, yours is like brownie batter. Did you have a hard time smoothing it in your hair with it being so thick?

ScorpioLove where did you buy this henna? I want my hair to be the same color as yours with the bright flash. i got it this color before with a semipermanent dye but it grew out and I'd like to do it a more natural way.

Also is this henna safe for relaxed hair. I remember reading that you shouldn't henna too close to relaxer or something... are you relaxed? and if so, can you tell me more about this?

i love how it turned out. that's the same brand of henna that i used last time i did it. works like a charm.

i'm sure you'll be able to achieve the deeper red tint with continued use

lovebug10 said:
ScorpioLove where did you buy this henna? I want my hair to be the same color as yours with the bright flash. i got it this color before with a semipermanent dye but it grew out and I'd like to do it a more natural way.

Also is this henna safe for relaxed hair. I remember reading that you shouldn't henna too close to relaxer or something... are you relaxed? and if so, can you tell me more about this?

Im relaxed. I got it at the indian bazaar near me. It helps with thickness of the hair so its really good for my relaxed thin hair. Its the first time i used it but there is alot of info in the do you henna? Thread.

Looks good. I ordered some cassia a few days ago, maybe I should have went with henna. I like your results. How many grams came in that package? $1.99 is the cheapest I've seen.

greenandchic said:
The color looks great! My henna mix is more like pancake batter, yours is like brownie batter. Did you have a hard time smoothing it in your hair with it being so thick?

Kind of, i ran out of tea and i didnt want to put more red wine vinegar. Next time i will make more tea than i need so i dont run out. I think the oil i put in it made it a little easier to deal with

Looks great! I love henna, although I havent used it in a while I need to get back to it.
I have a box of Jamila that has been staring at me for the past few months that I need to use.

manter26 said:
Looks good. I ordered some cassia a few days ago, maybe I should have went with henna. I like your results. How many grams came in that package? $1.99 is the cheapest I've seen.

It wad 150 grams for two dollars. To do it frequently it would have to be economical

Very pretty! I henna every 2 months & always use the brand that you are using. I have tried others but this one is my fav. It washes out very easy.

Where did you find your recipe? Did the red wine & cinnamon enhance the color?

finickyone said:
Very pretty! I henna every 2 months & always use the brand that you are using. I have tried others but this one is my fav. It washes out very easy.

Where did you find your recipe? Did the red wine & cinnamon enhance the color?

I just mixed things that is said to lighten hair. Cinnamon and lemon does this but i had no lemon. I thought red wine would add to the color. Im not sure because i had never henna'd before so i dont know for sure but i think it helped the red

Wow, what an awesome post - thanks for taking the time to go into such detail OP! This is a very inspiring thread!

Your hair turned out really nice! I use karishma too and love it. I wish I could find it locally. Its not as cheap online to buy.

I am going to try your recipe. I have only used warm water in mine.

Last edited:
the least messy way Ive found to apply it is in the kitchen in the sink. i do 4 sections. and leaning my head over the kitchen sink I add it to each section at a time & secure each one with a plastic clip. very easy clean up.

Back