My first Dominican Blowout as a Natural girl!!

ScandalousBeauty

Hey ladies,

I got my first blowout yesterday!!! Needless to say, I got the shop that doesn't care for your hair, just scorches it. It's on Amsterdam Ave in Morningside Heights, Manhattan. She washed it, deep conditioned it, and then put some cream in it, all dominican of course. My back was wet since I didn't get a cape at anytime during the service.

Yep, the blow dryer was hotter than hell. I was like oh ****, there goes my texture! There is no way anybody can tolerate that heat and have healthy hair. I see why relaxed heads only get their roots done, which hurts the most! My hair was definitely relaxer straight, I can't stop running my hands through my hair! It's not styled though, but I have some stuff I am going to take with me when I go back in 3 weeks. It was only $20, so I can't resist!

If I were to have flat ironed my hair, it would look fabulous. I really wanted to, but my hair didn't need anymore trauma this week. Then I went to the hair store on 105th and Amsterdam...the prices were DIRT cheap. They have Keracare Humecto 8 oz for $6, The 5 lbs. tub was $26, Hydrating Detangling Shampoo for $5 and THe small Essential Oils for the hair for $8!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I will ABSOLUTELY be stocking up for when I move back to MD. They have it all, Mizani, Elasta QP, all Dominican products, it was crazy!

So, now that my hair is straightened, but not sexy, I'm going to try one of the Sensationnal Instant Phony Ponys and wear that for awhile. I'm excited, look at all the options you have being Natural!!

I put pictures in my fotki and a review of some products on my blog. Enjoy!

it's nice to have all those options as a natural,I'm relaxed, but my sis is a natural and she can do so many things
off to your blog to see what you wrote...:)

Oops, that was false information. I didn't put pics up of my blowout up yet, just my hair after I took my braids out. Sorry! I'll do it later this afternoon.

LilChocolateMa said:
Oops, that was false information. I didn't put pics up of my blowout up yet, just my hair after I took my braids out. Sorry! I'll do it later this afternoon.

Hmph! Truly SCANDALOUS!:lol: Had me clicking and looking around all ooopid. Your other pics were cute though. :)

p1

Oh I was going thru all the sites/ pages trying to find the blow out pix. Your make up looks are cute.

Ok, the Dominican Looks are up! My hair is in a bun though because my ends reverted back and they are a mess!!! Oh yeah, forgot to say that when I left the salon my hair was BONE DRY. It felt brittle and awful!! I used the Keracare Essential Oils and Oil Moisturizer and it felt great afterward. Maybe thats what reverted my ends?? So my girl told me that the Aveda Smoothing Fluid I blogged about is what she gives them when she gets her 3b hair blown out. She's natural too. The CHI staightening serum is supposed to be amazing as well. I lady actually brought that in with her when she came, so it must be great. But I can run my fingers through my hair easily and I can feel my scalp and I am happy about that! Phony pony, here I come!

Last edited:
Hopefully all of the heat the stylist used didn't damage your hair. Since your hair reverted, that's actually a good thing; it rules out the possibility of extreme heat damage.

Did they roll your hair or go straight to the blow drying? I'm scared to let them touch my hair now that I'm natural. I went a few times over East Baltimore when I was relaxed though and they did a good job.

They just blew it dry, while it was dripping wet. I'm thinking....umm...this water is dripping downward, won't it just revert?? Now, slowly but surely, it's reverting all over. It took no time at all! Damn!

bmoreflyygirl said:
Did they roll your hair or go straight to the blow drying? I'm scared to let them touch my hair now that I'm natural. I went a few times over East Baltimore when I was relaxed though and they did a good job.

LilChocolateMa said:
They just blew it dry, while it was dripping wet. I'm thinking....umm...this water is dripping downward, won't it just revert?? Now, slowly but surely, it's reverting all over. It took no time at all! Damn!

Really? Darn... Wow... I don't think I'm going to let the Dominicans straighten my hair. I'm too scared they're going to jack it up. At least you know all that heat didn't damage your hair since it's reverting.

I've been going to this guy at the ColorWorks in Towson and he did a good job. He blowdries it with a paddle brush and flat irons it. It takes him a half hour. It stayed until I washed it back out. It was like 2 weeks. One of my gfs said she made it 3 weeks. Did you let them trim your hair?

I always recommend people stop in and watch how they do what they do, ask questions, ask to feel how hot the dryers are and decide if it would not be right for you. There are good and bad dominican salons. Blowing it dry dripping wet? Hm. That don't sound right to me. That would be painful!

Back