My first attempt to darken my hair with Henna and Amla

NYDee

I have dark brown hair that gets lighter to the point that people ask if I dyed my hair. I love black hair (color 1B) and I have been thinking of way to get it without chemicals. The last time I used a rinse was over a month ago and my hair became really dry and it was breaking, the breaking is just getting better in fact. I know henna gives that orange tone which I don't want but I couldn't find Indigo here in the stores. The woman at the store recommended I use Amla instead. Well in my research on this site and other sites, the mix has not really been mentioned and the few people who mentioned they used 50-50 still had color highlights from henna so I was discouraged. Indigo seems more expensive and I didn't want to pay for shipping so I decided to experiment anyway.

I used a measuring cup and spoon.
Henna - 1/2 cup
Amla - 1/2 cup + 4 tablespoons
Brahmi - 4 tablespoons
Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons

Left the mix for over 13 hours.
I clarified my hair with a clarifying shampoo, followed with Shikakai, Amla, and Rose petal tea rinse just for the benefit. I let it air dry then I applied the henna mix like I would a relaxer, cover it with a shower cap and l left it on my hair for a little over 4 hours. When I washed it out it didn't feel dry or hard which is great. The result is below.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 167
  • after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 167
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
It looks darker! :) You can add molasses next time it helps darken too and is very good for your hair. I have the same problem but mine turns this weird red honey color I miss it sometimes but I really think my natural color looks weird on me! LOL so once a month I do a molasses treatment (just a DC with molasses then I co wash that out and do a coffee rinse (espresso) then a final co wash. You did an awesome job it looks moisturized too! :)

Thanks. Is there a type of molasses you use? I don't really drink coffee, can instant coffee be used?

It looks darker! :) You can add molasses next time it helps darken too and is very good for your hair. I have the same problem but mine turns this weird red honey color I miss it sometimes but I really think my natural color looks weird on me! LOL so once a month I do a molasses treatment (just a DC with molasses then I co wash that out and do a coffee rinse (espresso) then a final co wash. You did an awesome job it looks moisturized too! :)

If you don't drink coffee go to starbucks and tell them you need old grinds for your compost pit they will give them to you for free then just re purpose them. I use the molasses with the bunny on it but you can use any. (I think its brier rabbit not just any bunny)

What is compost pit? As you can tell I don't know anything about coffee.lol
Can I get the molasses you use in a regular store?

If you don't drink coffee go to starbucks and tell them you need old grinds for your compost pit they will give them to you for free then just re purpose them. I use the molasses with the bunny on it but you can use any. (I think its brier rabbit not just any bunny)

NYDee, you did a GREAT JOB!!!

i am really happy to see such lovely pictures!!!

your hair looks full and bouncy and healthy, too!!!

where did you end up getting your henna from?

Thanks grow, I bought the henna at a local Indian store here (Reshma brand, 200g for $2.99). Non of them carry Indigo for some reason.

NYDee, you did a GREAT JOB!!!

i am really happy to see such lovely pictures!!!

your hair looks full and bouncy and healthy, too!!!

where did you end up getting your henna from?

It looks great!! I need to find a new henna process. My hair gets high lighted naturally usually during the summer mths because I spend more time in the pool and sun. I love the black!

are you SERIOUS ??? molasses darkens hair?? for sure ?
so i'm gonna use it more, because I wanted to use henna(for thickening properties, but was afraid to use it due to the reddish tones i've heard people gets from it.
So I think I am gonna use molasses and amla powder. now twice a month. because I luv my dark hair color(it's more dark than #1b color more dark than my wig LOL )
I will come back end of October with some updates.
MMhh.. about indigo, I've heard and read it can be toxic, because lots of people sells the impure one, which is very allergen :s so be careful..
i've heard the right indigo is green.

I tried black strap molasses (BSM) once but didn't see a noticeable difference...does it take several uses? Also, is doing molasses safer than henna/indigo? I know nothing about henna/indigo and for that very reason, I'm quite intimidated by the process. I don't want my hair chemically altered because I don't want to risk the potential damaging effects of what dyes/color altering chemicals can do to the hair. Is henna/indigo considered a chemical in that regard? I would assume BSM is more natural method for darkening the hair, correct?

I use molasses for 3 months now,
It has light strengthnening properties. and it's totally natural as honey is, because it's from sugar cane. so no chemicals and totally safe.

Back