My EVOO expired in June of 2010

RossBoss

I use EVOO a lot to sautee my veggies. I was not in my home that much last year so I have about a gallon that expired back in June. It does not smell funny or anything. So instead of cooking with it, I am mixing some of it with my deep conditioners and as a moisturizer for my body and hair. I figure I can use it up within the year. Using expired EVOO in this way should be okay right?

I think it is fine. Many expiration dates are just a legal precaution for companies to cover their butt and to have you rebuy product on a more regular basis. It's their way of saying that we know it will last at least until this date. Olive Oil after that date they won't guarantee that it is as fresh or has the original flavor. If it was bad you would be able to smell it and/or see it.

Girl I say use it on your hair!!! (and if u don't have sensitive skin/scalp then on your skin/scalp too!)

Waste not want not....oh gawd i'm a cheapskate.

It's okay to use if it's not rancid (you can tell that by the smell). Since you still have a lot of it you probably should keep it refrigerated to prevent it from going rancid.

Its ok to use as long as it doesn't smell funny or looks cloudy or dark and cloudy. I had some evoo in the back of the cabinet that i knew didn't look right, i didn't even smell it i just chucked it.

What if that expiration means that the nutrients that were there before are no longer present? You know, sort of like how the shelf life of the nutrients in vitamin water makes drinking it obsolete.

I say this because I didnt even know evoo could expire and if it still smells, feels, and looks the same what does that "expiration" mean?

Or maybe faithVA is right and it was just a ploy to get you to buy more.

I think it is fine. Many expiration dates are just a legal precaution for companies to cover their butt and to have you rebuy product on a more regular basis. It's their way of saying that we know it will last at least until this date. Olive Oil after that date they won't guarantee that it is as fresh or has the original flavor. If it was bad you would be able to smell it and/or see it.

Thanks. I have been using it for hair and body so far so good, I just wanted to be sure.

Back