My Crocheted Hair w/ Freetress Brazilian Hair

BlackDiamond21

Hi everyone,

So I just wanted to put out there my detailed experience in case anyone is wondering how to do it and/or what to expect:

I put my hair in about 10 cornrows to the back with about 14 in the front (I blended two braids into one 2x so I could have part and a bit fuller look in the front). I used Proclaim Gel to cornrow my hair and smooth out the end of my braids. I then gathered all the braids and made one braid. I took that 1 blend of braids and laid it against a cornrow and sewed it down with a bit of thread and a weave needle. After that I used Wild Growth Oil on my scalp in between the braids.

I bought about 6 packs of Freetress Brazilian hair. I used almost all of it (5 3/4 packs) and the hair came out VERY FULL - Diana Ross full :blush:. Not what I was going for, so I know next time to have less braids for this type of hair. I ended up filling 5 braids all the way from the front to the bottom on each side of my head. In the middle/back, on about 5 braids I have no crocheted in hair, just cornrows. As I said the hair is full, so you cannot even see that I have no hair on the middle bottom half of my head.

I did an Apple Cider Vinegar soak with warm/cool water with all of the hair. I soaked 4 packs in about a half full sink of water and about 1.5c of ACV. Then with the other 2 packs I used about 1c of ACV. I also mixed in a bit of ION Clarifying Shampoo in the water while the hair soaked. After 15 mins of soaking I rinsed the hair and gently twisted out any excess water.

I then put the hair on my bathroom door one package at a time and used my blow dryer on low/warm to dry the hair. Thankfully this hair is heat resistant. :yep:

Then as I grabbed up a couple of pieces at time I slathered Proclaim Curl & Wave Conditioning Activator Gel on the hair before crocheting it in. This helped it from becoming frizzy and tangling as I worked it in. I did try not to use it when I was being lazy and quickly learned that is not a good idea. I would recommend not breaking up the pieces it comes in. They are so small there is no reason to try to seperate. Just crochet in 1 or 2 pieces at a time.

Since having them in (it'll be a week on Thurs) I have not had a lot of issues. I use S Curl Activator Spray (first time EVER using it and BYE BYE CARE FREE GOLD - I'm an S Curl woman now!) on my scalp and to moisturize my hair every other day. I use Bonfi Oil Free Wig Spray on the Freetress. That stuff is :lick:! I also use it on my wigs when I wear them in the winter. I have done a little bit of trimming due to tangles but I think that is because I have not been spraying it down with Bonfi regularly.

My biggest success :grin: with this was the ACV soak. Almost a year ago I tried doing crochet braids. I had them done on 125th in Harlem, w/ Freetress hair for about $100 and had to take them out within 48 hours because I broke out in a rash all over my neck, ears and scalp. It was horrible!!! Now I know that I HAVE TO do the ACV in order to wear this hair because I am VERY allergic to the alkaline coating.

I will be posting pics to my Fotki journal soon. I hope this helps someone and good luck everyone! :yep:

Of course, let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

BD21

P.S. Next time I hope to use Freetress Bohemian hair (Freetress is cheaper in the stores, then on Clairhair or Hairsisters, by me but no one had it in stock when I went shopping on 125th) with about 6 braids and see what happens. :) I also hope to keep my hair in this style (crocheted) as long as possible to stretch my relaxer past my normal 10-12 weeks. I plan to take this out in about 2-3 more weeks, protein DC when I take my braids down, let my hair breath for 24-48 hours and put some more in again.

Sorry about not having pics. I was into giving a detailed explanation because I have not found much of that online. Yes there are vids and but nothing to really sit down and get a blow by blow with product details included that you can read and that was my main goal here :yep:.

Here are some pics... The rest are on my Fotki now! :grin:

Attachments

• Crochet FBH Top Pic and Back.jpg
    Crochet FBH Top Pic and Back.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 205
  • FBH Yeah All Done.jpg
    FBH Yeah All Done.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 4 Braids into 2 Close Up.JPG
    4 Braids into 2 Close Up.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Braids From the Front.JPG
    Braids From the Front.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 122
Well ok...

I guess my family is too kind to tell me I look like a mess b/c of all the views this thread and my Fotki got, not one person had anything to say.

Not a compliment or a diss... NOTHING :blush: WOW!

So that is the last time I will be posting any pics. I try to give feedback to everyone else especially when I view your pics.

I just really can't believe it... :nono:

And not one person thanked me for the post, so I guess everyone already knows all they need to about crochet hair....

Well ok...

I guess my family is too kind to tell me I look like a mess b/c of all the views this thread and my Fotki got, not one person had anything to say.

So that is the last time I will be posting any pics. I try to give feedback to everyone else especially when I view your pics.

And not one person thanked me for the post, so I guess everyone already knows all they need to about crochet hair....

awww dont feel that way...maybe it got pushed to far back and I think it looks cute...:yep:. gonna go check your fotki for additional pics...I want to see how it looks down and then pinned up

Wait...You wash the hair before you put it in?

Just saw the pictures. If I could cornrow flat with extension I would be doing crochets as well. The color really suits you. It is pretty full but really nice considering. How long are you going to keep it in? How long did it take you?

Well ok...

Don't let it get you down. Maybe you should add the pics to the first post. Some people won't scroll down to see you've added pics. Also, if you could insert the pics into the body of the post, instead of adding them as an attachment may help. It is easier to view for us lazy folks who don't to do extra clicking, or those viewing from their phones.

Even so, ya did good!:yep:

I think it looks CUTE!!!!! The color really suits you :) My only piece of advice would be for you to shape it a little, BUT it looks good to me ::yep THANKS for sharing your pics with us hun

Don't let it get you down. Maybe you should add the pics to the first post. Some people won't scroll down to see you've added pics. Also, if you could insert the pics into the body of the post, instead of adding them as an attachment may help. It is easier to view for us lazy folks who don't to do extra clicking, or those viewing from their phones.

Even so, ya did good!:yep:

I agree with the bolded. I almost didn't scroll down :giggle: Some of us like instant gratification :lachen:

Anyhoo, they look great! I love the color on you! I just took my crochet braids out Sunday (had them for almost 4 weeks) and had been using S curl every other day. My hair was super soft and I had absolutely no build up.

Your post wasn't up when I visited earlier. Thank you for the step-by-step although I don't braid well enough to attempt something like this.

Looks good on you.

Sorry OP, don't get down...I love reading but I LOVE pictures!!! I think that you did a good job both in explaining and showing!

Well ok...

You did a good job girl! I wouldn't even try to attempt them because I can't cornrow straight for nothing!

AND YOU KNOW WE BEEN AT WORK ALL DAY...GIVE US TIME:grin:

You hair looks great, you've inspired me to try crochet braids. Don't be down, as others said, I think some people just didn't scroll down to see the pics.

Well ok...

You underestimate the number of lurkers.. There will always be much more views than comments, but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate thread. Don't become shy to post any more threads now!

Anyway, your hair looks really pretty, and I think you're really cute. :D
How long did it take you to install it? Is it easier than istalling a weave?

I love the color of the hair and I love crochet braids and I've done it a few times, it'll be my new protective style in the winter. thanks for posting!

First let me apologize for being melodramatic yesterday :rolleyes:

I wasn't having a good day yesterday and my bf pissed me off :wallbash:, so I think I took the lack of response personally when I should not have.

To everyone who posted a compliment, thank you so very much :grin:! I really, truly appreciate it!

I love being apart of this community! I have learned so much; so anything I can do to give back by sharing my experiences, trials, tribulations, successes and pictures, I will definitely do. :grin:

I want to see how it looks down and then pinned up Wait...You wash the hair before you put it in?

I will have to work on the pin up pics and the down pics. I will try to take some this weekend and put up on Fotki on Monday. Yes I do wash the hair before I start cornrowing it because I am allergic to the alkaline coating on the hair.

How long are you going to keep it in? How long did it take you?

I hope to keep this style in 3-4 weeks depending on the hair holds up. :) It took me about 5-6 hours to do. It had been a few years since I have done this all the way through in addition to the fact I had so many dang braids! Next time will be less braids, therefore less time.

I love the color on you! I just took my crochet braids out Sunday (had them for almost 4 weeks) and had been using S curl every other day. My hair was super soft and I had absolutely no build up.

FANTASTIC! Great news!!! I was dreading taking them in a few weeks because all I can think of is that nasty white looking build up I used to get as child when I would wear braids! Obvisouly I know more know about taking care of hair then I did back then so it shouldn't be the same... lol

Do you take appointments? In Tennessee?

That is a COMPLIMENT :drunk: thank you so much!

I walked into a salon about an hour after I finished b/c I wanted to see if my old stylist could thin this out (she said no) and as I was walking out a lady said to me that she should come to me to get her hair done, she loved mine! I was taken back as I had never had anyone say that to me before! I would gladly do your hair if you were closer sweetie!

Is it easier than installing a weave?

I have never installed a weave on myself so I really can't say. Crocheting hair is methodical and a bit tedious compared to sewing tracks to a net or braids. I think both take skill and practice.

Last edited:
Back