My Crochet Micro Braids...

CoilyFields

So I got inspired by all the crocheting that was going on around here and decided to try some myself. (thanks ladies!)

I saw the youtube video where the girl crocheted microbraids and this is exactly what I wanted.

Sorry I did not take pix of the process but all I did was cornrow my hair into 13 braids in the front and then about 5 horizontal rows in the back. Then I latched the braids on, tying them in a knot. It took me about 5 hours to finish.

Here is the finished product (sorry the pix are janky...took them in the restroom at work lol) I am so pleased because most people think they are micros until i tell them otherwise or they start exploring my hair.

The front

th_031110070652.jpg

Up close
th_031110070728.jpg

Even closer lol

th_031110070714.jpg

the back
th_031110070834-1.jpg

Nice -- how many packs of the micros did you end up using? I still want to try this with rope braids (the ones that look like small senegalese twists).

Nice -- how many packs of the micros did you end up using? I still want to try this with rope braids (the ones that look like small senegalese twists).

I used 5 packs. They were $8.99 a pack. I have a lot of hair and someone once mentioned that my head might be large lol.

Very pretty. You have the look of micros without the worry of your edges breaking off.
I may try this one day.

It looks beautiful...I like the way yours seems to lay down more then the lady on YT...I can see myself giving those a whirl one day...great job:yep:

Yes try it so you can tell me how its done:yep:. Sounds like it would be beautiful.

Last edited:
The girl that did em on YT came out gorgeous...soooo pretty...its so nice to have the look without the time investment or stress on your hair.....I can't wait to put mines back in this weekend:grin:

I wonder if that micro braided hair comes in different colors? I'd love to have em in brown and auburn (my fave color combo of late:giggle:)

Make sure you post some pics BMP!!!
The girl that did em on YT came out gorgeous...soooo pretty...its so nice to have the look without the time investment or stress on your hair.....I can't wait to put mines back in this weekend:grin:

I wonder if that micro braided hair comes in different colors? I'd love to have em in brown and auburn (my fave color combo of late:giggle:)

Okay, now I need to stop being lazy and do mine. I have the exact same hair. How did you get the knots to stay? I was trying to do this in my head, but the knots wouldn't stay tied. That was my only problem so I stopped and took them out. Also, did you add extension hair to your own hair for the cornrows?

BMP, yes the hair does come in diffrent colors. This is where I got mine from. This is the hair that I got in a #4.
http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Rastafri-Hand-Tied-Body-Curl/

I know you are asking the OP but I just wanted to add my 2 cents:grin:

I ahve to add a little hair to my cornrows. I makes my braids stronger and more stable, and they stay in place. I have fine natural 4a/b hair that's very dense. So I need the added hair

Ok there's my two cents worth:drunk:
Okay, now I need to stop being lazy and do mine. I have the exact same hair. How did you get the knots to stay? I was trying to do this in my head, but the knots wouldn't stay tied. That was my only problem so I stopped and took them out. Also, did you add extension hair to your own hair for the cornrows?

BMP, yes the hair does come in diffrent colors. This is where I got mine from. This is the hair that I got in a #4.

I ahve to add a little hair to my cornrows. I makes my braids stronger and more stable, and they stay in place. I have fine natural 4a/b hair that's very dense. So I need the added hair

Thanks, I kind of figured it would be best. I need to learn how to cornrow my hair and add the extension hair. I don't like when others do it because they always braid too tight. I will see if I can find a You Tube tutorial on it and practice this weekend.

Wow:blush: excellent website too. thanks so much:hug3:
You're welcome and their prices are pretty good too.

Last edited:

I disagree:hide:

Although your strands are fine you have high density hair....with proper braiding technique your own hair can be more than enough to keep it sturdy for the duration that you're wearing the style even up to two months. Additional hair will only add to the bulk of the foundation......if someone has really damaged chewed up neck length hair then I may add some extension hair to anchor it other then that....in my humble opinion....its unnecessary.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
very nice the womans vid on youtube she put sooooooooooo much hair it looked overwhelming.

yours look the way they should full but the right amount of hair.

Added hair was not necessary. I doubt if you need it unless your hair is so short that the cornrows wont stay braided. Also you should NOT braid tight because adding the crochet braids will add tension.

I did double knots (tied it twice). Some of the second ties have come aloose but the original ty stays in place. It seems like the knots stay better with the smaller braids I put in the front (as opposed to the bigger cornrows I put in the back.

But neverfear...its been 1 week and I have yet yo have a braid come out lol.

Yeah it does. Only one BSS out of like 7 I went to had the micros but they had it in tons of colors and from straight to curlier than mine. It was a brand called RastAfri.

very nice the womans vid on youtube she put sooooooooooo much hair it looked overwhelming.

yours look the way they should full but the right amount of hair.

Thanks! Yeah I was afraid of it being too much. So I made sure the edges and top were dense but the rest of the crochets were more spaced out in the middle.

:yep:see why you gotta bust me out:lachen:
I can't braid tight without added hair. but I don't use a lot of extra hair
Just a very thin section of fake hair. I don't like a bulky foundation either

Come out from behind the couch you ain't in trouble with me:yep:
I disagree:hide:

Although your strands are fine you have high density hair....with proper braiding technique your own hair can be more than enough to keep it sturdy for the duration that you're wearing the style even up to two months. Additional hair will only add to the bulk of the foundation......if someone has really damaged chewed up neck length hair then I may add some extension hair to anchor it other then that....in my humble opinion....its unnecessary.[/COLOR]

Added hair was not necessary. I doubt if you need it unless your hair is so short that the cornrows wont stay braided. Also you should NOT braid tight because adding the crochet braids will add tension.

I did double knots (tied it twice). Some of the second ties have come aloose but the original ty stays in place. It seems like the knots stay better with the smaller braids I put in the front (as opposed to the bigger cornrows I put in the back.

But neverfear...its been 1 week and I have yet yo have a braid come out lol.

Okay, I guess I will try it again. I think that was my fear because I tied them twice and the 2nd knots were coming a loose. I didn't want my braids to fall out.

So I got inspired by all the crocheting that was going on around here and decided to try some myself. (thanks ladies!)

I saw the youtube video where the girl crocheted microbraids and this is exactly what I wanted.

Sorry I did not take pix of the process but all I did was cornrow my hair into 13 braids in the front and then about 5 horizontal rows in the back. Then I latched the braids on, tying them in a knot. It took me about 5 hours to finish.

Here is the finished product (sorry the pix are janky...took them in the restroom at work lol) I am so pleased because most people think they are micros until i tell them otherwise or they start exploring my hair.

The front

th_031110070652.jpg

Up close
th_031110070728.jpg

Even closer lol

th_031110070714.jpg

the back
th_031110070834-1.jpg

Nice! I wish you was in Chicago:grin:

Back