My colour experience at Aveda hair salon on West Broadway

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

I just wanted to take a few moments to share with you a very positive experience I had at Aveda hair salon on West Broadway.

I am in the States on vacation and was toying with the idea of doing a hair colour (lighten) but I had very bad experiences at two top black natural hair salons. They made me feel bad about how dry and drawn my hair was and wanted to lop off at least four inches even though I was not asking for a blow dry or flat iron/press services nor did I have any damage just frizzy ends.

However, I have very defined features and thought that going a bit lighter would soften them. Also, I found that darker hair was ageing for me. But at the same time, I suffered breakage from my last round of colouring so I was torn about what to do.

After doing research which included reading posts from LHCF, I decided to go for it. I made an appointment. The first thing I asked was if Aveda had a colourist familiar with Afro hair and was told that Aveda products are compatible with Afro hair and stylists have experience with all hair types.

I went with my hair blown our lightly because I had had it done that way the previous week and thought it would make the colourist's job easier.

My hairdresser was white. At first I was skeptical but then once I started asking her questions and she asked me a few, I knew it was going to be a good match. She seemed to know a lot about Afro textured hair and the best Aveda products to keep it up and she was also warning me against relaxers as too damaging for my hair (Aveda by the way does not do relaxers, though I heard them discussing that the Aveda scientists are trying to come up with a less harsh formula but so far have not). No one gasped at my hair or made me feel bad. She and I discussed a good colour. I told her specifically that I wanted only the colour and the treatment for the ends of the hair and nothing else.

As I was getting the colour done, they kept offering me nice cups of hot tea (it's hot today but I have cold). And they wanted to do a hand message but I declined. The atmosphere was very professional, pleasant and calming.

I got a warm brown colour in the end and I had no breakage in the comb as she glided through by hair gently from bottom to top. Everyone was really complimenting how nice the colour was. I just got from under the dryer and took the towel off and put my hat on as it was not styled. By the way the treatment for the ends of the hair was also great my hair was very soft.

Yes, it was pricey but I would go back again. It was pricey because it was the salon and not the one ran by the Aveda students. I would have done the Aveda students but I was too frightened and then their wait list is one month long.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Sounds fabulous! If I ever get my hair colored again, I'm having it done at Aveda. I've heard such great things about them.

I haven't colored yet at my salon, but I do go to Aveda here for all my spa services. The only time I don't go for nails is when my nail person is booked up and can't take me. I do plan to color with my stylist there soon though.

Glad you had a great experience.

Ahem...this thread is worthless without pics..
Its really cold in NY right now? Dang in FL it is sweltering!! :nono:

Dear Ladies,

I paid $100 for the colour and $25 for the treatment. I would highly recommend that anyone wanting a colour go to Aveda.

It's sweltering in NYC, I just have a bad flu.

Best,
Almond Eyes

OP, I'm glad you had a good experience with them. I've been comtemplating getting my hair colored or highlighted

My coworker has also had a good experience with them. She goes to the one in Silver Spring, Md (I think).

If anyone is interested, I'll find out from her.

Back