My Coconut Milk/KeraCare/Rollerset Experience...

BeautifullySo

...was great! Read on...:)

My Problem: Brittle, unhappy ng and tons of breakage. I couldn't comb without hearing snapping, despite prepooing (ORS replenishing pak), using protein treatments (Aphogee's 2 min and hardcore) and a moisturizing conditioner (Humecto, which left my hair feeling terrible:nono:).

I needed something to soften ng and make Keracare products work for me; the humecto wasn't the only thing in the line messing up. After searching the forum, I found that coconut milk with lime juice acts as a natural relaxer and helps with stretching. Also, I found out that Keracare, for some, didn't work right away and a good clarifying could solve the problem.

So after some online purchasing and a quick trip to the store I was ready to:

Prepoo: I used 1 can of Thai Cocount Milk and the juice of 1 lime, which, to my friends surprise, wasn't very tasty. I had him ladle the mixture on my dry hair, then I covered with a plastic cap for 45 mins. I tried to make it to an hour but it was just too messy. Hair was very soft, in an oily sort of way.

Shampoo: I used Keracare's 1st lather, followed by the hydrating shampoo. My hair was soft but felt kinda stripped so I held off on using the dry and itchy scalp poo and conditioner.

Condition: I globbed on the Humecto and sat under my dryer for 30 mins. When I rinsed, my hair was actually soft and didn't feel dry or coated like the last two attempts! It wasn't as soft as with ORS pak, but that's okay.

Rollerset: I used a teeny, tiny amount of Keracare's leave-in, 4 pumps of Motions' serum, and a bit of moisturizer. I used the mohawk, rolling down method. I found it much harder to set this way, but the results were better for my hair length. I fell asleep under the dryer (I use a hand dryer and bonnet attachment) for about an hour.

Saran Wrap: I removed the rollers, blew out the roots, applied Keracare's hairdress, and some sheen. I wrapped my hair with the saran wrap and sat under the dryer for 20 mins.

Results: For the first time ever after a rollerset, my hair was soft, had movement, and I didn't have any breakage! The coconut milk made my ng super obedient and has definitely calmed my urge to schedule a touch up. When I woke up today, my hair was feeling kinda dry, though:ohwell:.

Pictures: http://public.fotki.com/BeautifullyBlack/ Comments or advice welcome! :grin:

your hair looks amazing & I might have to try that coconut milk & lime thing. . . but let's address you leavin your keys behind the dresser & just throwin up a post-it so you know where they are! :lachen:

_Belle: That shelf is too heavy to move...sort of. Okay, I'm just lazy and got a spare key so I don't feel the need to move it. :laugh:

...was great! Read on...:)

My Problem: Brittle, unhappy ng and tons of breakage. I couldn't comb without hearing snapping, despite prepooing (ORS replenishing pak), using protein treatments (Aphogee's 2 min and hardcore) and a moisturizing conditioner (Humecto, which left my hair feeling terrible:nono:).

I needed something to soften ng and make Keracare products work for me; the humecto wasn't the only thing in the line messing up. After searching the forum, I found that coconut milk with lime juice acts as a natural relaxer and helps with stretching. Also, I found out that Keracare, for some, didn't work right away and a good clarifying could solve the problem.

So after some online purchasing and a quick trip to the store I was ready to:

Prepoo: I used 1 can of Thai Cocount Milk and the juice of 1 lime, which, to my friends surprise, wasn't very tasty. I had him ladle the mixture on my dry hair, then I covered with a plastic cap for 45 mins. I tried to make it to an hour but it was just too messy. Hair was very soft, in an oily sort of way.

Shampoo: I used Keracare's 1st lather, followed by the hydrating shampoo. My hair was soft but felt kinda stripped so I held off on using the dry and itchy scalp poo and conditioner.

Condition: I globbed on the Humecto and sat under my dryer for 30 mins. When I rinsed, my hair was actually soft and didn't feel dry or coated like the last two attempts! It wasn't as soft as with ORS pak, but that's okay.

Rollerset: I used a teeny, tiny amount of Keracare's leave-in, 4 pumps of Motions' serum, and a bit of moisturizer. I used the mohawk, rolling down method. I found it much harder to set this way, but the results were better for my hair length. I fell asleep under the dryer (I use a hand dryer and bonnet attachment) for about an hour.

Saran Wrap: I removed the rollers, blew out the roots, applied Keracare's hairdress, and some sheen. I wrapped my hair with the saran wrap and sat under the dryer for 20 mins.

Results: For the first time ever after a rollerset, my hair was soft, had movement, and I didn't have any breakage! The coconut milk made my ng super obedient and has definitely calmed my urge to schedule a touch up. When I woke up today, my hair was feeling kinda dry, though:ohwell:.

Pictures: http://public.fotki.com/BeautifullyBlack/ Comments or advice welcome! :grin:

Just use your moisturizer and keep going.

Your hair looks extremely healthy :lick:

One time I put the coconut milk in the fridge so that all the fat could rise to the top (you know coconut has tons of saturated fat). I put that cream in my hair and my hair was screaming thank you. Fat is great for hair! I am so happy you enjoyed the treatment.

Your hair looks really good, and you really got those roots to lay flat. I love me some coconut milk...definately gonna try the lime juice experiment this week b/c I am having the same problems you are with the snap crack and pop hair and I am 14 weeks post:nono:

Wow, your hair came out great, it really looks healthy. I've never tried the coconut and lime, it's def on my list for when I'm 8 weeks post and beyond. Good Job!!:yep:

Beautifullyblack, ur hair look WONDERFUL!!

note: try beautifullyblack coconut and lime mix as i stretch my relexer for the next 3 months!!!

Your hair looks extremely healthy :lick:

One time I put the coconut milk in the fridge so that all the fat could rise to the top (you know coconut has tons of saturated fat). I put that cream in my hair and my hair was screaming thank you. Fat is great for hair! I am so happy you enjoyed the treatment.

Yea, when I first opened the can there was nothing "milk-like" about the texture and it was firm to touch until I got to the bottom where all the juice (I guess?) was. Next time I'll try using only the fatty stuff.

Did you add a lime or some conditioner to the coconut milk? How often do you do the treatment?

Thanks all :)

I think I may have done something wrong, though. Friday (day of the experiment), my roots were doing as they were told. This lasted till Sunday night when I applied some S-curl to them. Now my roots aren't as flat and I'm definitely feeling the zig-zag pattern, again. Although I'd secretly like to think it's new growth, there's just no way it just grew that fast.

Is there a way that the s-curl could have made my roots revert? If so, I'll make a note to self.

Thanks all :)

I think I may have done something wrong, though. Friday (day of the experiment), my roots were doing as they were told. This lasted till Sunday night when I applied some S-curl to them. Now my roots aren't as flat and I'm definitely feeling the zig-zag pattern, again. Although I'd secretly like to think it's new growth, there's just no way it just grew that fast.
Is there a way that the s-curl could have made my roots revert? If so, I'll make a note to self.

Yeah I def think the water in the S-Curl made your roots revert. Maybe you should try applying some type of oil to the roots like coconut oil and a water based moisturizer like s-curl to the ends only. HTH:yep:

Your hair looks very, very nice! Congrats.

Oh and yes, as you found out, S-curl (watery products) will cause reversion on natural hair that's been straightened.

Back